Pug Hilux brake conversion

john-h

Well-Known Forum User
To create more posts and add to the tech forum I've written the following tech. note on how to fit the Pug Hilux brake conversion. I've assumed an amount of knowledge and a copy of the Haynes manual. If anyone can improve it or add anything feel free.

Pug Hilux Brake upgrade for S30

You will need
  • Vented brake discs for a Peugeot 505 gti or Talbot tagora.
The discs are readily available but be sure that they are the vented type. Some 505s had solid discs fitted

• Brake callipers from a Toyota Hilux 4x4 of Hilux Surf
These callipers were fitted to several of the Hilux range including the Surf (import only) They are 4 pot with ribs on the outside face.

• Wheel spacers to suit your wheels (8mm thick for standard iron cross wheels)
These are needed to allow the wheel to clear the calliper body.

• Long wheel studs either from the rear of a zed of Nissan Bluebird.
The studs compensate for the wheel spacer addition.

• Hilux brake pads or pads for Subaru WRC
Hilux pads are needed to fit the calliper but some Subaru WRC pads also fit and more exotic material is available for these.

• Tame machinist.
The discs need machining and this is best done in a 4 jaw chuck or a CNC milling machine.

How to do it

• Remove the calliper and hubs from the front axle. Remove the dust shield. Unbolt the the old discs from the hub by putting a wheel on the bench and putting the hub studs back through the holes in the wheel. This stops the hub turning. Then with a long socket handle, undo the disc bolts.
  • Drive the disc from the hub with a chisel or wedge (it will be tight on the hub due to corrosion).
  • Remove the studs from the hub by fitting an old wheel nut and hitting it with a large hammer.
  • The discs can now be machined to fit the hubs. The holes for the studs in the Peugeot disc are on the wrong pitch circle diameter (PCD) and the centre bore is too small to fit on the datsun hub. The machinist needs to open up the bore to be a good fit on the hub (this is not an interference fit but a good sliding fit). 4 new clearance holes need to be drilled between the ones in the Peugeot disc to suit the PCD the zed hub. Machining the bore and marking the new PCD need to be done in a 4 jaw chuck or CNC machining centre to ensure concentricity.
  • Rebolt the new discs to the hub.
  • Refit the hub.
  • Fit the new calliper to the existing bolt holes for the zed calliper.
  • Use the existing zed steel pipe work to connect to the calliper.
  • Fit the pads (you need to get them the right way up because they are handed)
  • Bleed it and all should be well.

Martin W

Well-Known Forum User
im not sure if this is ok or not but im glad you posted it as im looking into this swap as we speak for my 260 ill use this info and if i find anything diff ill post it

thanks martin

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
I think there are two types of Toyota calipers, one with equal size pistons and one with different sizes. You need the former.

john-h

Well-Known Forum User
I've seen new Hilux pick ups with the same calipers on. The early calipers have different sized pistons which are not ideal. I can post some pictures if it helps. The calipers have ribs on the outside face about the width of a finger. They come up on ebay all the time. There are too many hilux models with this caliper to list but the 4wd ones are the ones you want.
The fitting is realy easy, only cost me £130 to do all the job.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
I've seen new Hilux pick ups with the same calipers on. The early calipers have different sized pistons which are not ideal. I can post some pictures if it helps. The calipers have ribs on the outside face about the width of a finger. They come up on ebay all the time. There are too many hilux models with this caliper to list but the 4wd ones are the ones you want.
The fitting is realy easy, only cost me £130 to do all the job.

picies would be good:thumbs:

john-h

Well-Known Forum User
It works o.k. on mine but the bigger master cyl would reduce the peddle travel. Also bigger servos are on 2+2s which reduce the effort on the peddle

Martin W

Well-Known Forum User
well been on about doing this brake upgrade to my 260 and finally started but cant get the disc,s from any of the motor factors near me inc peugeot does anybody know where i can get some, in or a round the derby neck of the woods

cheers martin

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
I used a Pair of Toyota Forerunner Calipers, Mk3 Hilux, these are marked S-12W and fit the vented disc I used a pair of 1984 Z31 turbo discs from MSA (not cheap) these are 4 stud wheels, direct bolt on with a 17mm spacer and longer mounting bolts. I use scooby track pads. I had to grind down the outer finns of the caliper to fit my AME split 9x15's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylv1

Well-Known Forum User
hello

I made this article for the same purpose (sorry that is in french)
http://datsun240z.free.fr/Freins.htm
This is made first from google and personal experience with s12-8 wide and s12w.
Would also be pleased to complete or correct mistake you find in

there are 3 different calipers
S12-8 (non vented) for stock 240/260 Z rotor; (2 different size of pistons)
S12-8 wide for vented rotor; (2 different size of pistons)
S12W for vented ((2 equal size of pistons and larger pads but caliper is heavier and bigger for wheel clearance)
s12solid.jpg

s12vented.jpg

MotorsportXL.jpg

I used also 84 Z31 atmo 4 lugs rotors and alloy spacers.
Carrosserie_057.jpg

NB : there is interference between S12W and Minilites 15x8, but ok with stock steel Z wheels :lol:

For the moment, I have not driven the car in this config; I have been told that it works with stock brake master cylinder but 280zx mk1 helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
I used my setup with the standard master cylinder for about 2 years I have now replaced with a larger 280zx one can't really tell the difference. Good brakes though!!!!

Martin W

Well-Known Forum User
thanks for the help and tips:bow:, iv fitted the 280zx master cyl already and iv now found the disc,s @ GSF in derby £66.22 inc vat dont know if thats a good price or not but im ok with it got a machine shop on standby so all is looking well so far on the front,s :thumbs: mike will be sorting the braded lines out for me too.

at least i know when it gets finished it should stop well:D

cheers martin