Probably worth it.

johnymd

Club Member
Looks pretty good in the pictures and at just under £18,000 to the UK, its not a bad price. Shame about the engine bay and no sign of the original paint on the inner arches and underside. When your paying this kind of money you probably want to go out and see the car. I have grown to like the look of an unrestored engine bay and an unrepaired car.

Red7

Well-Known Forum User
I think that's a lovely car, if I hadn't got mine I'd be in for it for sure, one question though, why do so many USA Z's have Matt black engine bays? Just something I noticed when searching for mine.

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
I guess the liberal application of underseal has obliterated the orig paint. Also I guess a question would have to be asked about the 'black underseal' on the strut towers and around the engine bay, half body colour and half black?

johnymd

Club Member
I think there is a long tradition of matt black engine bays on yank cars. Maybe so you don't see all the oil leaks and this started before people used to show off their clean shinny engine bays.

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Great looking car and love the colour. This guy really knows how to sell a car. Excellent video though not keen on that fish-eye lens he uses. Looks like it is worth the money though personally would struggle to get on with a LHD.

richiep

Club Member
I think there is a long tradition of matt black engine bays on yank cars. Maybe so you don't see all the oil leaks and this started before people used to show off their clean shinny engine bays.

This. It's OEM for most period US cars (look at all the 60s/70s muscle cars for example) to have a matt or satin black engine bay. People like Eastwoods do specific paints to give the right finish and durability. Thus, plenty of Zs seem to get a similar treatment - which is unfortunate as I don't think it looks very nice in the Z context at all.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Great looking car and love the colour. This guy really knows how to sell a car. Excellent video though not keen on that fish-eye lens he uses. Looks like it is worth the money though personally would struggle to get on with a LHD.

Why do people struggle to get on with LHD, 10 mins and you're there. Position is three feet to the left. Pedals are the same. If it's the RHD gear change, it takes no time to get used too it honestly.

Straight choice on a Yank car in the UK, LHD every time.

Straight choice on anything else in the UK, RHD.

Choice when you can bring in a bargain 240z from the US? LHD!?

No brainer for me.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Why do people struggle to get on with LHD, 10 mins and you're there. Position is three feet to the left. Pedals are the same. If it's the RHD gear change, it takes no time to get used too it honestly.

No brainer for me.

Yes, driving a LHD car is easy peasy. But in this country, you're sat on the wrong side of the car for A road overtaking.

Also makes jousting and mounted sword fighting very hard, especially for right handed people.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
RHD v LHD:

Yes if you are buying a US manufactured classic car then LHD is expected.

If you are buying a Datsun S30 that was manufactured in a RHD country and to be used in a RHD country then RHD is preferred IMO.

If you are buying this S30 because of it's condition and originality then it needs to remain LHD.

Driving a LHD car in the UK is not ideal, just like driving a RHD car in Europe but we do it and soon get used to it. Plus driving this car would probably be limited to very few miles and with great care, LHD would probably add to the special experience. For the same reasons the 4 speed 'box and soft suspension would be ok.

All IMO.

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
I love how the guy can be sure of giving so much info as fact, when he only got it this year. I've seen better cars for the money. One exactly the same as this went on Bring A trailer a fortnight ago for $8k less!

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-datsun-240z-9/
Can't deny that.
Will have to investigate 'bring a trailer', certainly going via ebay is a tried and tested way of importing. Never doubted there were other better options around,this might be one.

uk66fastback

Club Member
How much softer is the suspension Rob, in reality? And it's a four speed, great. If that's what it same with, then fine. I'm happy with that, at least it's not auto!

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User

No brainer for me.

I don't struggle to drive LHD cars. I have driven them in the States for years (I have two brothers over there, one with an E-type and the other with a Corvette, both of which I have driven) and Europe. I just don't want to drive them over here given the choice as it restricts your view for overtaking, pulling out from behind parked vehicles etc. I know this because working as I do as a driving instructor I spend my life 'driving' from the passenger seat as I instruct inexperienced drivers so I know what can and can't be seen. That three feet you refer to can make a lot of difference!

Last edited by a moderator:

Red7

Well-Known Forum User
I don't find driving on the left too much of an issue tbh, keeping your eyes on what's behind and looking over my right shoulder before I change lane through the massive area of glass in the tailgate is easier than I imagined :driving: I've been driving my other cars across Europe for many years so I've gotten used to driving on the 'wrong side' as it were :thumbs:

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
I don't find driving on the left too much of an issue tbh, keeping your eyes on what's behind and looking over my right shoulder before I change lane through the massive area of glass in the tailgate is easier than I imagined :driving: I've been driving my other cars across Europe for many years so I've gotten used to driving on the 'wrong side' as it were :thumbs:
Agree totally, in a lot of ways rear vision is better, maybe cos it's a two seater with lots of glass at the back. Rearview mirror vision is great and as you say a right shoulder glance covers everything else. Front view, if you want to overtake just hang back a bit before overtaking and the view opens up.
Wouldn't consider a RHD Z now.

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
I love driving LHD on our UK roads. It adds to the experience in a good way. My Z's LHD and I wouldn't consider having it switched over to RHD now I've driven 3000 miles in it. Plus I get to smile at other roads users as I roar past them :D :rofl: