Price Guide

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Anyone seen the Classic Car Weekly this week?

They have updated their price guide for the 240Z.

:thumbs:

uk66fastback

Club Member
Who sits there in some office and comes up with these figures?

Is this section 'sponsored' - one of the auction houses or Hagerty etc?

Or are they arrived at by taking confirmed private and dealer sales plus ebay/auctions etc into account and arriving at a figure.

What are the prices for - is the highest price concours - or a 'free of any significant faults' price?

How they qualify it - with a small key at the bottom giving the description of what you should expect for each price.

It would be really interesting to know HOW they arrive at these figures.

Edit: I don't expect them to have a figure for a LHD import, but it'd be intersting as well to know what the concensus is on the % reduced from those (or any figs) if a car is LHD.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yep stupid, they of course don't know the market like us - they are typing what they see or believe.

Don't believe what you read in the press. However they can influence the market which is worrying.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Can someone explain the difference between a LHD and RHD 260 Zed??? In the states, the LHD 260 was only offered in 1974 and is not widely sought after. If a 240 Zed is out of the question, chaps in the states opt for the 280 and fuel injection which was offered starting in 1975. I believe that RHD 260's were offered for multiple years in Japan and Europe?

Dale

Club Member
I think it was the strict emissions laws your side of the pond that came in that put pay to the 260Z over there.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Yes, that is true. Engines were given more displacement to counter tougher emissions requirements. Finally decided to go with fuel injection to clean up the exhaust.

So, because the states needed a 260 engine for emissions, Datsun just bumped their complete Zed Japan market and European market cars to 260 engines as well? Still flat top carbs on UK's 260 Zed?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Yep stupid, they of course don't know the market like us - they are typing what they see or believe.

Don't believe what you read in the press. However they can influence the market which is worrying.

a) if YOU (ie the collective) know the market better, than why doesn't the club produce its own price guide, regularly updated and stick it up in public for journalists and prospoective buyers to consult ?

b)why is quoting such 240Z prices worrying ?

The 280ZX prices could all come under that for the 2 seater (£7.5k for a good model no mater how many seats) and of course alter the dates to read 1983.

They need educating - whom from the club will be writing to do so ?

Of course knowing the quantity of imports these days, there might be a second price for LHD cars and not only 240Zs, 280Zs (yes Mike) are a good choice these days and we're seeing more and more !

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
a) if YOU (ie the collective) know the market better, than why doesn't the club produce its own price guide, regularly updated and stick it up in public for journalists and prospoective buyers to consult ?

b)why is quoting such 240Z prices worrying ?

They need educating - whom from the club will be writing to do so ?

Sean, Mr F and I produced a price guide for the same paper when they did a 240/260Z Buyers Guide. They then printed on the front page something like 'bag a 240Z for £3k' and they also said that the 260Z was now more desirable (because we stated it was no longer the poor relation it had been). I gave up complaining - I know you wouldn't :lol:

We said £25k for a very good (not best) 240, £3k for a project - with the 260 about 15% lower (I think) across the range of prices we gave.

Last edited by a moderator:

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
So, because the states needed a 260 engine for emissions, Datsun just bumped their complete Zed Japan market and European market cars to 260 engines as well? Still flat top carbs on UK's 260 Zed?

To understand the whole story you need to look further than the US market, and further than just Z models. What happened was part of a developing global situation regarding emissions legislation (with Japan itself being among the strictest) and all models.

Japan - apart from a small hiccup that was soon corrected - didn't get an L26-equipped '260Z' model, but had EFI-equipped 'L20E' engines in Fairlady Z variants. "Flat top carbs" means more than one thing, and the ("boat anchor") 'flat tops' used in the north American market were quite different than those fitted to models in other markets (notably Japan and UK/European models).

Again, I have to point out that terms such as '240Z' and '260Z' are almost meaningless in the context of discussions involving valuation. What '240Z' and which '260Z'? You might as well be talking about "the Ford Mustang" (which one!?) and "the VW Beetle" (50+ years worth of models to choose from) and this is one of the reasons why so many magazine articles - and their price guides - are so misleading.

It's a problem for us, as such articles are used by insurance companies and others as referencing data. Having said that, I can't honestly recall ever having seen a 'Price Guide' for the S30-series Zs that reflected reality...

gturner008

Well-Known Forum User
All I can add is that my car is on the market - at what I think is a fair price. I might well take a few k less to get a sale, but it'll be a decent marker for us for a RHD car in decent condition.

If no buyers come forward over the next week or so, then we can conclude my asking price is too rich.

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
If I did my job half as badly as the people who dream up these price guides I'd sack myself!

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
If no buyers come forward over the next week or so, then we can conclude my asking price is too rich.

Trends and market values need multiple sources to accurately reflect what is happening. If your doesn't sell at a certain price it doesn't necessarily mean that the asking price is too high. It might be due to any number of other factors, many of which have nothing to do with the car itself...

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
All I can add is that my car is on the market - at what I think is a fair price. I might well take a few k less to get a sale, but it'll be a decent marker for us for a RHD car in decent condition.

Have you sorted out the cooling issue and overheating you mentioned an another thread or is the buyer in for a rude shock when he gets up to speed ?
Radiator still looks like the original ? Re-cored ?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Guys, irrespective of what the classic media produce, copy or twist to suit their headlines, there should be a (even a rough) price guide on this site to which people can consult.

I'm sure that a lot of buyers are put off because they see prices all over the place and look for guidance - the only 'word' out there is what they read in mags and they unfortunately therefore set the price.

Same here, I get people contacting me - I ask their budget and it's almost € for € what the latest website or mag has claimed is the price !

The experience is here, the knowledge too, it might not be the most comprehensive guide for Alan's taste, not covering all the models potentially here but it'd be a start :

What models to list ?
Which year groups ?
RHD and LHD ?
Original UK market ?
Later imported ?
Specials ?
Competition cars ?
Comp cars with history ?

???