Price Check: Clean 240z Shell

Jay.

Club Member
Roughly how much should I be paying for a clean rolling 240z shell? Rust has all been cut out and replaced profesionally, seams welded and a roll cage welded in.

Comes with all the parts unassembled in a box except the drivetrain.

SacCyclone

Club Member
About 4 years ago I bought exactly what your talking about with regards to the clean shell, full cage, seam welded etc.
No other parts included and paid $2500.
That was a steal of a price as the cage would cost that or more alone.
Today $5000 for the same thing here in the states anyway is a good deal for a clean shell, cage, and seam welded. That is a lot of work if done correctly.
Mike

Jay.

Club Member
Ah woops, forgot to include more important details.

It's a 72, LHD car.

It has the drive train removed to fit a new engine, but once the guy got it welded he felt out of his depth and gave up.

@SacCyclone thanks for that, did that include any other parts? Are they worth much, as they're original stuff and likely most will need replacing/refurbishing

SacCyclone

Club Member
@Jay.
So the car I was talking about will be my track car and as such, gutted of most factory interior and some exterior items. You are right in that if your going to build a factory car the items will be expensive and some will be hard to find....maybe many.
My car had no additional parts to go with it but then I did not need any and the track version was in it's future.

Maybe if you buy this car you can look for a rusty but complete car to supply the other parts you need......
I guess it depends on what your planning on building????

Jay.

Club Member
@Jay.
So the car I was talking about will be my track car and as such, gutted of most factory interior and some exterior items. You are right in that if your going to build a factory car the items will be expensive and some will be hard to find....maybe many.
My car had no additional parts to go with it but then I did not need any and the track version was in it's future.

Maybe if you buy this car you can look for a rusty but complete car to supply the other parts you need......
I guess it depends on what your planning on building????

Likely something for the track too, that being said there's a chance I'd like to make something a little more OEM with an L28 engine in it (albeit with the cage)

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
All depends on the quality of the work and the cage. A welded in cage could put a lot of people off if not done to MSA or FIA specs.

Also depends on how original the now welded up shell is... does it have original quarters/floors/chassis rails/legs etc etc

I would say a 71-73 clean shell now that has little to no previous welding is probably north of 6K. I’d value them more personally as the shell is what is worth the money... but whether people would pay it is another story.

A brand new 67 Mustang shell is £18k to your door here and has no ID etc... restored and registered would be worth 40k+... i’d personally rather have a mint original shell and I’m sure it would be worth more than the replica...

240Z’s done well are fetching the same as that if not significantly more... so a mint shell to start with is worth half of the car value...

Just my opinion though. Could buy a rotten RHD shell and spend 3 years welding it up like I did :S