Prescott Speed Hill Climb - Vintage Day

Huw

Club Member
Not everyones cup of tea, but a must for anyone who loves a bit of vintage and pre-war automobile action. Spent a great day at Prescott Speed Hill Climb yesterday. Took my farther-in-law to see cars of his era that he has a passion for. Plus it was a great excuse to give my new motor a good run. It was a special event celebrating 100 years of Austin 7 motorsport, lots of fabulous old vehicles not only on show but blasting up the hill climb course. Lots of variety on show, exotics like Bugatti's, a super rare 1939 Lagonda V12 Le man racer and an MG Tigress racer to the more humble Austin 7's.

Austins.jpegDSC_0011 copy.JPGDSC_0014 copy.JPGDSC_0029 copy.JPGDSC_0019 copy.JPG

To top off the day a fly past from one of the most iconic aircraft of all time (IMO). OH MY GOD the sound of four, yes four Merlin V12's at full chat was a wonderful experience to behold. We were treated to three bombing runs from the Avro Lancaster of the Battle of Britain Memorial flight. What a truly beautiful machine in flight.
Made my ....... year that has!!:drool::party:

DSC_0067 copy.JPGDSC_0070 copy.JPGDSC_0072 copy.JPG

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I like all that Huw. My dad was in the RAF and also a big veteran/vintage fan. He drove in the London Brighton Veteran Run 1954.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huw

richiep

Club Member
Looks like a great day.

Love me a bit of WWII aviation. As a child and teen, I went to lots of airshows around the country, thanks to my Dad. Various US bases and places like Duxford, Yeovilton (Fleet Air Arm museum), etc. Obviously in the blood, as my Dad was third generation Rolls-Royce, with both my Grandfathers working at R-R in Derby during WWII as inspectors on the lines producing the Merlin.

While the Lancaster is cool, I'll always go for a bit of single engine action, especially the first one in this vid (P-40 my all-time fave) - although the Spitfire is a beast at the end...

End of thread hijack...

yellowz

Club Member
I'll see your 4 Merlins and raise you 2. This year the estate we live on was on the run in to Fairford for the BBMF. Both days we got a flyover straight over our house. Sounded glorious. Can't access the video an neighbour put up on FB

Huw

Club Member
Looks like a great day.

Love me a bit of WWII aviation. As a child and teen, I went to lots of airshows around the country, thanks to my Dad. Various US bases and places like Duxford, Yeovilton (Fleet Air Arm museum), etc. Obviously in the blood, as my Dad was third generation Rolls-Royce, with both my Grandfathers working at R-R in Derby during WWII as inspectors on the lines producing the Merlin.

While the Lancaster is cool, I'll always go for a bit of single engine action, especially the first one in this vid (P-40 my all-time fave) - although the Spitfire is a beast at the end...

End of thread hijack...
Bloody AWSOME. Now that must have been something to see filming that!

yellowz

Club Member
The only video I can find is on a private local FB group so I can't share it. It was something to see. As they came over our way they were still banking so could see over all three cockpits and the topside of the wings!

richiep

Club Member
Bloody AWSOME. Now that must have been something to see filming that!
Unfortunately no video or photos, but one of the coolest things I've ever seen happened back in around 2007 when I was reassembling my red Z at my parent's house in the countryside outside Burton-on-Trent. The car was in a big enclosed car port and I would pop down at the weekends to work on it. One nice, sunny day, I was in there when I became aware of the sound of a prop-driven aircraft getting louder. And it was definitely something old. And soon that noise started to sound like multiple engines. They also had a distinctive rhythmic, slow warble going on. Which made me realise what I was hearing before I leapt out the car port to see. My parents' garden overlooked hilly farm fields on the Derbys/Staffs border, and sure enough, coming towards me quite low was a "Schwarm" formation flight of four Messerschmitt BF-109s. Just epic to see out the blue. It was like I'd just time-warped to summer 1940!

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Pedant alert - probably BF-109s built under licence ergo Spanish Hispano HA-1112 Buchons with Merlin engines ;)

richiep

Club Member
Pedant alert - probably BF-109s built under licence ergo Spanish Hispano HA-1112 Buchons with Merlin engines ;)
Highly likely/almost certainly they were Buchons - four of the five airworthy ones in the UK are Buchons used during the filming of Battle of Britain in '69. The fifth (as per Wiki) is a "real" BF-109, but wasn't flying back in 2007.

Interesting that they still created the characteristic German engine warbling that people used to talk about though - did not sound like a Merlin-engined plane. It was very striking - I literally said out loud "that's German!" when I realized what I was hearing before diving outside to look.