Prep for long European trip.

andrew muir

Club Member
Hi Guys taking the family to visit relatives in Austria and have a tour round the Dolomites in the old Zed limo.:D

I have a few questions about preping for trip.

First is I was wanting to change to an electric cooling fan, was looking for recomendations and recommended CFM to fit my alloy 240z radiator.

Second is I have a small oil leak from behind the crankshaft pulley am I right in assuming this is the crankshaft seal failing and how difficult a job is this to do, can this be done without taking the front cover off etc?

Third are there any Zed owners, clubs or contacts in Germany or Austria should I get into trouble. I do have breakdown cover as part of my insurance.

Any advice wil be gratefully recieved :thumbs:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Hi Andrew, I don't think you could change the front seal without taking the timing cover off. You can just about get the timing cover off and on without taking the engine out, but it needs the sump to be dropped a few mm to get the cover off, may well need to take the head off too, and you may end up with a leak from the sump gasket.
If it's only a small leak, I'd leave it!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Andrew, your car is very reliable so a little trip around Europe shouldn't be a problem for it. I'm impressed with your plans - it should be good fun and memorable.

Why change to an electric fan? I don't think it will be as good as your standard one (from my experience) unless you fit a twin system or keep the original too (probably a good idea). So get a 'pusher' to mount in front of the rad. and perhaps out of 'line' with the original so more of the rad. gets the draft.

When rallying I always carried some strong wire (eg coat-hanger) to secure exhausts if the mountings broke. In fact I used to put a loop around the mountings and pipe just in case.

Take some electrical cable and connection blocks plus an enlarged wiring diagram. Jump leads.

Spare drive-shaft is worth considering if you are going to 'attack' the mountain passes.

Check you radiator hoses and fuel hoses. I have had fuel hoses perish at the rear of the car near the diff. If a fuel return hose has a leak you wont know but will think fuel consumption is poor.

Spare keys?

Use the car regularly at home before you go.

Good luck. :driving:

andrew muir

Club Member
The Tartan rug is in there permanently!:D

As for the fan I think the old fan has partially seized as it is very stiff to turn.
So was looking for a recommendation for a electric replacement. The can runs cool just now with a new 2 core ally rad.
The problem seems that I can only manage to squeeze a 12" fan in there. Most of the 12" fans seem to have a free air CFM of about 1300-1400 but is that enough? Engine is stock. What is the CFM of the standard fan at tickover?
I could get 2 x 10" to fit but amp useage would go up to well over 22amps which would not be very good for the alternator which is a newish 60amp unit.

What is everyone else running.
Also wanted to know if I can change the front crank seal without taking front cover off?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Andrew if the fan is seized it will cool just fine, I'm sure you don't need to go to the trouble of fitting an electric one unless you are after a quick warm up, a bit more power (when engine at normal temp) and maybe better mpg.

Crank seal - sorry don't know.

andrew muir

Club Member
Andrew if the fan is seized it will cool just fine, I'm sure you don't need to go to the trouble of fitting an electric one unless you are after a quick warm up, a bit more power (when engine at normal temp) and maybe better mpg.

I think it will be spinning way too fast at high revs which will be putting a strain on the water pump and also the fan itself?:unsure:

What size etc did you un on your old red car?

racer

Club Member
Hi Andrew
Allways had an electric fan on the race car, its only a small pusher. Def no bigger than 12 inches.
I have a three core rad so only ever used it on a manual switch in heavy traffic on the way to the track. As soon as the car is moving it's not needed.
Electric fans are great Imo. Less drag on the engine, so better throttle response more power and improoved fuel consumption. I think Mr F does them?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator

I think it will be spinning way too fast at high revs which will be putting a strain on the water pump and also the fan itself?:unsure:

What size etc did you un on your old red car?

12" I think with an adjustable 'thermostatic' switch. It was in front of the rad and def not as effective as the standard fan which helps cool the whole engine bay. However I did notice a small power increase. I changed to electric because my plastic fan blades were cracked and weak which I didn't know until they touched the rad at Mallory. There is a big 'pull' on those blades at speed.

Ian

Club Member
Why can you only fit a 12" fan? whats in the way? I easily fitted a 15" fan to mine.

andrew muir

Club Member
Hi Ian
The core size is 34cm x 59cm, most 12" fans including shroud have a dia of approx 32-33cm.
Rad is a champion 2 core alloy 240z rad.
Still looking for recommendations I am thinking of a Pacet as it seems to flow slightly more and is fairly slim as there is only about 9cm of space avaiiable between radiator and water pump.
Really wanting a puller as they seem to be more efficient?:thumbs:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
............... I think it will be spinning way too fast at high revs which will be putting a strain on the water pump and also the fan itself?:unsure: ....

I know I'm a stubborn ****** but if you are fitting an electric fan for increase airflow through the rad and therefore cooler water at the bottom of the rad I'm confident an electric fan (12") will not be any better. Electric fans were introduced when engines went 'Transverse' and unlike the Mini the rad was fitted at the front. Also there are benefits (as explained earlier) but they are not cooling benefits apart from perhaps being able to leave the fan running after a track session (which I did by using the Aux, electrical circuit).

Also your 'clutch' mechanism allows slip when the engine is cold not hot, so the fan is intended to run 'flat-out' when hot.

I know you'll fit an electric fan though. ;)

andrew muir

Club Member
As mentioned earlier my fan has decided to partially seize, so clutch will likely need replacing or risk catastrophic fan failure.:eek:
So now seems a sensible time to go electric, BMWs etc are all electrical as well etc.

As I see it the fan is only used (required) when car stops moving so the old mechanical fan would be turning slowly any way as car is a tickover etc.

I will probably remove it and go for a cautious thrash just to verify the above statement.:D

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
BMWs etc are all electrical as well etc.

As I see it the fan is only used (required) when car stops moving so the old mechanical fan would be turning slowly any way as car is a tickover etc.

I will probably remove it and go for a cautious thrash just to verify the above statement.:D

Yes a modern car will have an electric fan/s (and a shroud) but they do beakdown too e.g. my son's VR6, my daughter-in-laws Citroen C2.

I have run my car without a fan so I can verify it WILL get hot when stationary.

I fitted a pusher to give me space for turning the engine by hand for timing/tappet adjustment.

andrew muir

Club Member
thought its about time I updated this thread and if anyone has any zed friendly contacts in Holland/Germany and Austria.

I have fitted twin 10" revotec 9 amp fans, a single fan seems enought to quickly lower the temp, I have fitted a s 2 stage switch from an e36 BMW into top hose. They run off 2 separate relays off a permenant supply from battery.

Myself and the late Ian Whyte replaced the fron crankcase seal, it took 30 mins and was very easy once radiator was removed.

I have replaced all rubber fuel lines /filter and also the radiator hoses.

Still to do, oil/filter, sparkplugs, valve clearances and clean air filters etc.

What spares should I take, so far I am taking a coil, fuses, temp switch, fuel filter and radiator hoses as well as cable ties, oil, brake fluid etc.

Any sugestions for spares, tools and checks I should be doing/taking?

Cheers

Andrew

toopy

Club Member
thought its about time I updated this thread and if anyone has any zed friendly contacts in Holland/Germany and Austria.

I have fitted twin 10" revotec 9 amp fans, a single fan seems enought to quickly lower the temp, I have fitted a s 2 stage switch from an e36 BMW into top hose. They run off 2 separate relays off a permenant supply from battery.

Myself and the late Ian Whyte replaced the fron crankcase seal, it took 30 mins and was very easy once radiator was removed.

I have replaced all rubber fuel lines /filter and also the radiator hoses.

Still to do, oil/filter, sparkplugs, valve clearances and clean air filters etc.

What spares should I take, so far I am taking a coil, fuses, temp switch, fuel filter and radiator hoses as well as cable ties, oil, brake fluid etc.

Any sugestions for spares, tools and checks I should be doing/taking?

Cheers

Andrew

Spare set of keys! :driving:

Exhaust strap/hanger
Rotor arm & longest HT lead
Spare relay or two
Radiator cap