Power steering

toopy

Club Member
http://zpowersteering.com/

Nice kit, approx £1000, plus import taxes no doubt, so not cheap, but on the plus side, it bolts
straight in :)

I would really like to fit power steering, i know its been done with electric motors and
the conventional hydraulic setup, but im not that clever, with regards cutting and welding etc.
The above kit would be great, but obviously spares if needed and any unforeseen fitting issues
would be difficult to rectify as its US sourced stuff.

The steerings pretty heavy as it is, regards parking speeds and slow corners, plus i want
to fit 225 width tyres on some shiny new wheels, so that wont help matters,
there currently 205's.

Out of interest would any of you guys consider changing to assisted steering,
now or in the future? :driving:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Been running it since 2006. Putting it in again in my yellow car currently under construction.

Fitted it in several customer cars now too.

I don't understand the snobbishness of some against it...they've never tried a decent kit and merely speculate. There's a decent kit on the classifieds now for a 1/10th of what you're quoting above !

toopy

Club Member
Been running it since 2006. Putting it in again in my yellow car currently under construction.

Fitted it in several customer cars now too.

I don't understand the snobbishness of some against it...they've never tried a decent kit and merely speculate. There's a decent kit on the classifieds now for a 1/10th of what you're quoting above !

Yeh, noticed that, would still need someone to do the work for me though :unsure:

Im capable of fitting it as a complete unit/kit myself, just not creating said kit in the first place!

Out of interest, how much have you charged, a ball park figure is fine, to do this work for other people?
and parts from what cars? i remember reading someone used a Corsa one, but have since
read there not the most reliable of units, not when actually in a Corsa anyway!:eek:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Out of interest, how much have you charged, a ball park figure is fine, to do this work for other people?

Best bet would be to buythat one off here and gave it fitted.

Never had a breakdown yet after several years use in any car.

Ballpark, ours are supplied and fitted (which doesn't help you living the wrong side of the water) for the same or less than ez supply - rip-off merchants but then if someone has and wants to spend their money, someone will always match the price to empty their pockets.

Ian

Club Member
Still not sure If I want/need power steering in mine, but its certainly something I'll think about adding.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
You'll never be able to thoroughly decide until you've tried a decent set-up in a Z on a road-test.:eek:

It might then be a 'no' but at least based upon your own experience and not us here saying 'yes' and others 'no' !:)

Ian

Club Member
You'll never be able to thoroughly decide until you've tried a decent set-up in a Z on a road-test.:eek:

It might then be a 'no' but at least based upon your own experience and not us here saying 'yes' and others 'no' !:)
Quite true, would be great try a Z with the setup and see how I find it.

Farmer42

Club Member
Thanks for that, will give them a call and see whats available :thumbs:

If you manage to find anything for your 2+2 and get a quote on costs, please post it up as I would be interested. Recently had ops on both shoulders which has made driving my Z without power steering very difficult but I love driving it so I ain't going to give up cos of a bit of pain. I'm up for anything that would make it easier and allow me to drive the Z more but I'm on a budget.

Cheers

Paul

toopy

Club Member
If you manage to find anything for your 2+2 and get a quote on costs, please post it up as I would be interested. Recently had ops on both shoulders which has made driving my Z without power steering very difficult but I love driving it so I ain't going to give up cos of a bit of pain. I'm up for anything that would make it easier and allow me to drive the Z more but I'm on a budget.

Cheers

Paul

Will do, hopefully i'll get some spare time to bell them on Tuesday :)

To be honest, im not expecting the cost to be any less than £1000, but fingers crossed,
could be pleasantly suprised!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Isn't that just the supply price - then you have to have it fitted or do they have 'favourite' garages where fitting can be done at a specific cost ?

Ian

Club Member
You will like it :thumbs:.
I hate the steering in most modern cars with a passion. However if this setup retains the feedback and feel that it has stock but with less effort required to turn sticky tyres then I'm sure I would like it.

toopy

Club Member
Spoke to the chap today

Kit for Z is £1500+£48 postage incl Vat,

reason for high delivery is the units come in from europe somewhere and are not held in stock
in the UK. Lead time is around 6-10 days, unless there out of stock, in which case 5-6wks.
They manufacture 5 at a time only, so as not to have loads of stock piled up in a warehouse.

They sell kits for Z's farely regularly in Australia and South Africa mainly, rarely in the UK... were all too tight! ;)