Power steering conversion parts

richiep

Club Member
Okay all, I’ve decided to change priorities and time-spend and ultimately, further down the line go for an off-the-shelf solution rather than fabricate my own, so here are a couple of key components needed if you fancy a challenge and want to build an electric power steering kit:

Corsa B power steering column, complete as shown.
Power steering controller, allowing manual adjustment of the system.

These come as a set. All you need is a Z column and the necessary skills/equipment to splice them together. And a wheel speed sensor. There are threads on this on the forum historically; the controller is the same as the one Datsun Dave uses on his RB-engined Z, so he may be able to answer questions about its use and setup. I have instructions for the controller somewhere and will include them.

£200 for the above plus postage. I may have a Z column I can include if required for a TBD amount. You can use any Z column though (RHD and LHD are the same even though the steering racks aren’t).

No takers and these will be off to eBay in a few days.

Thanks!

HxyeXo3.jpg

FoWkZoM.jpg

qClIsJs.jpg

toopy

Club Member
Richie, have you got any 'how to fit' links please?

I searched on the forum and google, and although there is plenty of discussion on the topic, i couldnt find any decent info about exactly how to do the conversion, step by step ideally :D

richiep

Club Member
Richie, have you got any 'how to fit' links please?

I searched on the forum and google, and although there is plenty of discussion on the topic, i couldnt find any decent info about exactly how to do the conversion, step by step ideally :D

There’s an old thread that Wyn wrote, showing how he spliced the components together.

http://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/260z-elec-power-steering.9312/

Other than that, it’s definitely a case of getting stuck in!

Various kits ditch the speed sensor; I just included mention of that given that’s what Dave Porter has with a setup basically the same as this. The controller obviously would allow manual tuning of the sensitivity. I’ll have to dig out the unit instructions which will illuminate that aspect of the setup.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi Rich, so if this was fitted to a relatively standard car (but with wide wheels) I'm sure it would take it into the 'requires MoT' status wouldn't it?

richiep

Club Member
As with many aspects, it is debatable based on interpretation and all the exemptions. The rack is untouched, the column is modified but is based on the original. You could say the mod increases efficiency? Frankly, I don’t think a power steering mod alone would pose a challenge to someone declaring their car VHI and MOT exempt - but much has been left (deliberately) vague.

FYI - now the manic last few weeks and weekends are over, i’ll Be writing up something on the MOT changes. One of the key take-outs so far is that it very much seems like an “opt in” thing. I.e., you have to declare your car meets the criteria if you want to have it classified as VHI and MOT-exempt. If you don’t do that, everything is as before. You don’t have to declare mods specifically. Ultimately, if you have any doubts, just don’t opt in.

EDIT: just reading the other thread about the DFT release and Rob’s most recent comment. Interesting; more reading and to do...

Last edited:

toopy

Club Member
There’s an old thread that Wyn wrote, showing how he spliced the components together.

http://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/260z-elec-power-steering.9312/

Other than that, it’s definitely a case of getting stuck in!

I had a read through the above, and honestly i think i would definitely be biting off more than i can chew unfortunately!

Not that its particularly complicated, just plenty could be not quite right during the build process, and then having to rectify stuff, as did Wyn,
does not instill much confidence on my part! :oops:
I think if my car was in bits and being restored, i would take a stab at it, but in reality, with the car on the road and no proper work shop facilities
i would be better, although poorer for it, with a bolt in kit.

richiep

Club Member
Tbh, this is useful for someone who can get stuck in and work the bugs out themselves. But the call for that has decreased since I bought these bits due to the proliferation of off-the-shelf solutions that weren’t available several years ago. So - no adventurous takers, and it’ll go to eBay where it might find a wider audience beyond the Z scene.