Posts in Classifieds & Trades sections

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
IMHO the increased posting of banter in the classified section :confused: is detracting from the reason the section was set up ie for sales and wanted items only and could discourage a newer member from using this as a medium for either buying or selling an item as has been pointed out in a recent classified

The Problem with the classified system is that the person who has placed the classified can not moderate out any off topic banter that might appear in their advert and would have to ask a moderator to action this on their behalf

In view of the above it would be good if users refrained from posting a reply in the section unless it was serious on topic request about the item relating to the classified

And as an aside could restraint be exercised in posting on this thread on personal views of the classified system :thumbs:

The same situation also sometimes arises in a traders section whereby a trader posts up about one of the services they offer and some irrelevant comments may discourage users from visiting that traders section
Please be aware that the trader has paid for thier section:bow: to promote their business not for general chit chat

No doubt will be on the receiving end of a few sarcastic comments but skins to thick to be upset by them:smash:

Aceman

Well-Known Forum User
I don't think the problem is the seller not being able to moderate. I think the issue is the ability to set a "best offer" price.

Doing so instantly means banter will ensue, even if just to try to understand what the seller thinks is a reasonable price, surely?

Using the thread you're refering to as the example, I have no idea how much a 240z windscreen is worth, so my best price is £5 until someone tells me it's worth more.. This would likely involve the seller being cheesed, but then me offering £1000 would make me feel cheesed when I later see one sell for £100 on ebay say..

You want to remove banter, you put in a price (even if it's an "offers over" price). Until a price is known, people have to discuss to determine what a reasonable offer price would be.

(I'm not implying insults class as helpful banter, just stating such a feature of the classifieds invokes banter)

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
I don't think the problem is the seller not being able to moderate. I think the issue is the ability to set a "best offer" price.

Doing so instantly means banter will ensue, even if just to try to understand what the seller thinks is a reasonable price, surely?

Using the thread you're refering to as the example, I have no idea how much a 240z windscreen is worth, so my best price is £5 until someone tells me it's worth more.. This would likely involve the seller being cheesed, but then me offering £1000 would make me feel cheesed when I later see one sell for £100 on ebay say..

You want to remove banter, you put in a price (even if it's an "offers over" price). Until a price is known, people have to discuss to determine what a reasonable offer price would be.

(I'm not implying insults class as helpful banter, just stating such a feature of the classifieds invokes banter)

The real issue for me is with the way the System that Z club use wont allow the price box to be left empty..
As a pretty savvy member of the club Im sure you will already know that a new windscreen is not £5.
The price of a new windscreen is very reasonable.IMO
Even if you were Naive enough to offer over my usual selling price I would NOT accept the offer. Where would be the sense in ripping off a fellow Zed enthusiast??? I have been on this forum virtually from day one and I have never knowingly "ripped off" any other club member.. If anyone feels they have been ripped off by me then here is an opportunity to air it.
The windscreen isnt open to offer BUT I cant put that on the advert. The price varies a LITTLE depending on ...A.. the exchange rate from the far East and
B.. there may be a modest quantity discount.
C. Whether Paypal fees need to be considered.
Hence I dont include a fixed price on the advert.
As always Im not going to discuss these facts on a web page open to the whole world.
A quick email or text asking "How much for a windscreen? " will get you todays price.

I hope this explains my position.
clearly I cant speak for anyone else using the classifieds.

HTH.

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
The Vendor just saying " make an offer" is usually a complete waste of time for all parties.

As said above, it is bound to irritate the Vendor if you bid too low, so why not just come out with a figure in the first place and then there's no Bu**ering about with lots of facetious comments along the way ?

Otherwise, it's about as useless as all those adverts for Classic Cars in the magazines that state "POA" - which really means if you have to ask, then you can't afford it anyway.

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
When I placed an advert recently, despite stating a price it still came up as "best offer" and didn't include my phone number.

Rob G edited it, but it shouldn't be like that.

In my experience the classified section still doesn't work properly (after all this time) and I'm not convinced they show up in new posts all of the time.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Rob H, as far as I'm aware anyone can edit their own advert using the botton left 'icon' (the PC screen) in the 'user options' area of the advert.

No they don't appear in the New Posts these days - I think that's intentional to avoid cluttering up the 'New Posts' area with adverts that most folks aren't interested in. I may be having a 'senior moment' though!

Dale

Club Member
Prices and telephone numbers are appearing on other ads without problems, so I can only assume that one was an isolated incident.

Ads used to show as new posts but that was switched off for the reason Rob said. Why comments show up in new posts is unknown, and something that no lack of effort has been able to change.

Is it perfect? No.

Is anything?

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
[ said:
Prices and telephone numbers are appearing on other ads without problems, so I can only assume that one was an isolated incident.[/COLOR][/color]

Ads used to show as new posts but that was switched off for the reason Rob said. Why comments show up in new posts is unknown, and something that no lack of effort has been able to change.

Is it perfect? No.

Is anything?
No they are not.
Its not an isolated incident.
i had exactly the same problem with my windscreen advert.
If you look at other peoples adverts you can find examples where the bottom half of the advert details are all missing.
This has been occurring for months.

Dale

Club Member
No they are not.
Its not an isolated incident.
i had exactly the same problem with my windscreen advert.
If you look at other peoples adverts you can find examples where the bottom half of the advert details are all missing.
This has been occurring for months.

If the fields aren't filled in then nothing shows. Should I assume that they have been left blank on purpose or should I assume that there's a fault? Should I email every ad poster and ask why there is no telephone number? Or should I (or any other admin) help out any member who contacts us when they have a problem with missing info? To which I only recall Rob doing in all these 'months'.

As I said, it's not perfect. Nor am I.

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Rob H, as far as I'm aware anyone can edit their own advert using the botton left 'icon' (the PC screen) in the 'user options' area of the advert.

I just made an edit to one of my adverts and all seems ok - although now needs approval.

Next time I place an advert I'll keep a better eye on what I doing and advise accordingly. But if once you've placed an ad, you then need to go back in and edit seems a bit silly.

No they don't appear in the New Posts these days - I think that's intentional to avoid cluttering up the 'New Posts' area with adverts that most folks aren't interested in. I may be having a 'senior moment' though!

I think only replies do, I don't recall seeing new adverts in the new posts.

Should be the other way around IMO.