Polybush Vs Standard Rubber - Coilovers Vs Spring/Shock

s2k_adz

Club Member
Hey guys,

I'm imminently buying bushes to do a complete suspension rebush on the 260Z Im rebuilding.

I am really unsure as to weather go to for a complete polybush kit, or weather to go for the more conventional rubber bushes. Mike has given me some information and says that polybushes need regular greasing in order to stop them squeaking.

The car is only going to be used on road, I doubt Ill be doing too many track days with it as I have the 350 for that, so I don't need it to be super solid and would like it to be compliant on the road.

In regards to suspension, I am also in two minds! Gaz have quoted me £695+VAT for a coilover system which is height, but not dampening adjustable.

Is anyone here running just lowering springs with uprated shocks that could post their experiences and maybe a picture so I can see what the drop looks like?

Many thanks!

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I have poly or delrin bushes throughout & lowering springs. There was another thread recently with the names of a couple of companies who'll make you whatever springs you want for a couple of hundred quid.
I have about an inch and a half clearance between arch and tyre on 170lb springs

Not the greatest photo know...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449512623.020398.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449512547.082994.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449512547.082994.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 37

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
For your application I suggest you stay with rubber however I have never had to grease poly-bushes to eliminate squeaking - have I been lucky?

IMO, if in doubt go with the manufacturer's OE.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Deffo change steering coupler to polyurethane whatever else you keep rubber.

I'd just go new rubber all round, change the coupler as above. A friend of mine maintains a couple of the HSCC race cars, they use rubber bushes in most places.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Steering Coupler - well when I looked a Gary's car (orange car off for respray) I checked the steering coupler (and rack bushes). No play in either but the steering coupler was really soft and flexible - it amazed me that there was no 'lost motion'.

racer

Club Member
If your going with Gaz coilovers then most likely your going to loose the rubber top mounts anyway.

That doesn't mean that the ride need be harsh. I would go for the adjustable ones with say 250/300lb spring front and rear. No Doubt Johny has filled you in on the benefits of going adjustable.

Keep the standard rubber diff mount imo, that's one of the biggest insulators from road noise.
Some modern sound insulation goes a long way and of course tyre choice makes a big difference.

The bushes I would def go polly would be Anti roll bars and steering coupler as Jon says.

racer

Club Member
I'd just go new rubber all round, change the coupler as above. A friend of mine maintains a couple of the HSCC race cars, they use rubber bushes in most places.

Franky
Who's cars does your friend maintain?

My HSCC has no rubber anywhere and hardly any poly just solid ally.

s2k_adz

Club Member
Wow thanks for all your replies guys and Johnny for your Email!

Maybe its just a matter of digging deep for the adjustable GAZ then. I have had coilovers on several cars now and I do like the adjustability aspect. Does anyone here run BC Coilovers?

Jonbills thank you for your reply! I did contact a few of those companies who recommended linear springs with a 30% increase in spring rate. Im not sure what the original springs are?

Bush wise I think I might go poly if nobody here has issues with squeaking or the ride being mega harsh? Mainly as they are a lot cheaper than the rubber bush kits and individual bushes from Mike.

On this subject has anyone used the 'bush camber adjuster kit'?

Last edited by a moderator:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Jonbills thank you for your reply! I did contact a few of those companies who recommended linear springs with a 30% increase in spring rate. Im not sure what the original springs are?
I think there are a variety of springs sizes & rates across the years. I think my 260z service manual says my original spring rates were 105 lb/in front and 135 lb/in rear (or something like that...)
The springs I've got now are 170 & 200 respectively, and they don't seem harsh.

Relatedly, I did have to add a 2nd ARB at the front to control the roll though (once I swapped the compression rod bush for a joint, which is another topic I guess)

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
The rear camber adjustable kits have been around for years.
A good usefull item if you have no other adjustment.

I have the MSA camber adjustment bushes front and rear. They do a good job, although there's not enough adjustment at the front to actually get -ve camber.

s2k_adz

Club Member
I have the MSA camber adjustment bushes front and rear. They do a good job, although there's not enough adjustment at the front to actually get -ve camber.
Are these the actual bushes that press in Jon or the top mount ones? Mike has advised the bushes can twist if not done up mental tight?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
These are the press in bushes (although not much press is required) - Mine haven't moved, but I do remember on the rear I had to file down the tubes the bushes fit on to so the washer & nut seat against the bush rather than the tube end.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
So 'racer' has said 250/300 and polybushes - well he would he's a maniac!

That will make the car quite responsive (from experience) but a bit thumpy!

s2k_adz

Club Member
I certainly don't want it to be a super harsh ride. A slightly harder than standard ride with good dampening will do me fine!

Im considering the BC Coilovers to get both a matched damper setup I can spec the spring rate on and camber adjustment...