Piston options for L28

johnymd

Club Member
If I was to build a mild road going L28 and needed new pistons, what are my options? If I also need to bore the block anyway then what's the biggest size you can take the block out to and still get cast pistons? If I was going to take it out to 87.5mm or above then what's the cheapest forged piston option?

At the moment I'm just considering the most economical way of putting an engine together out of the parts I have to make it usable and a reasonable upgrade to a standard L28. I have a L28 block that's at 87.5mm by the way. As far as I can see the big value parts are the pistons.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Ive read plenty of success of the cheap cast ITM pistons and that's the route I've taken with my L28 - I want something a little better than stock but nothing too much. They come in several sizes but the largest is +1mm I think. So not sure they will work for your block as the engines 86mm bore stock?

Dan

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Are you specifically looking to use the 87.5 block John? of have other blocks to choose from?

johnymd

Club Member
The block is already bored and honed to 87.53mm. I could take it out a bit more but if I can get cast pistons in that size then that would be perfect.

I'll check out the pin height of the ones listed.

Thanks