Well-Known Forum User
Takes time to clean them all!

Steve

de62f95a6fa15b38437ad60afa9eb7f0_zps402991ee.jpg

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Lovely, so what are the characteristics of each car and if you could only keep one which would it be?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I love the TR6!! Looks awesome! One of my all time favourite soft tops and butch looks to go with it!

I hear the Lucas injection wasn't the most reliable, true?

Ali K

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
I got a TR6....Love them, had a few in my time.

Lucas Fuel injection was normally just the pump overheating and a modern pump solves this.

Last of the Hairy Chested British Sports cars they say

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Last of the Hairy Chested British Sports cars they say

So true!! Although I would also argue that the TVRs were pretty fuzzy chested cars too!

My neighbour's 4.5L Griff was often confused about which end should exit the corner first ;) . But my friend's Sagaris, man alive, it just blew me away!! :bow:

I'd still take the Z and TR6 though over either of them. Yes the TVR burble is a mating call but you can really enjoy putting the power down in the other cars without your chocolate starfish twitching under you the whole time!!! ;)

Ali K

Stevie P

Well-Known Forum User
On the difference between them, they all have their own identity.

The TR6 has a full race steel engine, puts out 230bhp, its a handful and hard work, you know you have been in a sixties car when you've arrived!

The TR7 has a 3.9 V8, that is very much more a modern chassis and car overall with brutal grunt.

The Z is the smoothest of the lot, turbine smooth even when pushed and very modern feeling, certainly to the TR6.

It's a nice varied group, TR6 for the country lanes, TR7 for blasts to shows and I can use the Z for my 2 hr each-way commute comfortably.

Steve

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
TR7 not a popular choice but I quite like them.....a guilty pleasure

Always looking at a V8 TR7 or a TR8 would be even better. Think they look better today than in their day.

Yours looks a tidy one in a great colour too

Stevie P

Well-Known Forum User
Yep, she's pretty good, FHC are getting rare now, a convertible V8 in decent nick can be had for a couple of grand, and are great value for money.

They are very slowly on the rise.

Steve

johnymd

Club Member
Never had a TR but a friend of mine has a GT6 when I had my first 240Z in the '80s. The Z always felt much more refined than the other sports cars of the time and truly was a car you could drive every day. I still think they make a great daily driver now and its a shame lots of people think they are too precious to use all the time. I quite fancy another 240 to use as a daily run-around. I tatty but solid original-ish looking import would fit the bill perfectly. Trouble is, I'd always wish I was in the blue one.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Johny, there's a very simple solution to that one! Build another blue one ;).

One to polish, one to abuse!!

Ali K

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
That's interesting what you say about the 3 cars. I'd have expected the TR8 to be smoothest and easiest to commute in. The TR6 looks the best (Datsun wheels let the car down but they are Datsun wheels after all). I can understand why the TR6 feels the rawest, they are simple, old-style British cars.

Z as a daily driver - I'm in a great position to sell my 370Z and run my standard Z as a daily car, even my mate up the road suggested it. Three things to consider:

My wife doesn't drive so she would have to 'sign-up' to it and that is very unlikely.

Do I want to subject my very original car to road salt, rain, wear and tear and mileage?

Thirdly I have got a bit soft in my old age (no not that way) - I like my central locking, demisting/heating, decent wipers, lights, inertia belts, sound system etc etc.

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Z as a daily driver - I'm in a great position to sell my 370Z and run my standard Z as a daily car, even my mate up the road suggested it. Three things to consider:

My wife doesn't drive so she would have to 'sign-up' to it and that is very unlikely.

Do I want to subject my very original car to road salt, rain, wear and tear and mileage?

Thirdly I have got a bit soft in my old age (no not that way) - I like my central locking, demisting/heating, decent wipers, lights, inertia belts, sound system etc etc.

Rob - you disappoint me! Your Z may not have all the little comforts but at least it has a soul! We are only on this planet for so long - would hate to see written on your gravestone 'Wish I had driven my Z a bit more'!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Rob - you disappoint me! Your Z may not have all the little comforts but at least it has a soul! We are only on this planet for so long - would hate to see written on your gravestone 'Wish I had driven my Z a bit more'!

I aren't having a gravestone, just an old 240Z radiator :devil:

I have a clear conscience, been driving 240Zs for 18 years and I drive a Z wherever I go every day ;) Also let my kids drive em.

Steve, your 2 hour commute sounds horrendous - how often do you use the Z for that and what's your annual mileage in it?

Stevie P

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Rob

If it means anything, I travel from Brentwood to Brentford and back every day!

I don't use the old cars that much for work, every now and again in the 6 week holidays.

Annual mileage on Z is in the hundreds :(

Its not my commuter car, thats an Evoque.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: