Painting 240Z scuttle box compartments

DJacey

Club Member
Advice please on the best method to prime and paint the box compartments of the scuttle on my 240Z especially the two side ones where access is very limited and is not possible to use a spray gun. As a matter of interest, how did these areas leave the factory - fully or partially painted? Thanks

johnymd

Club Member
This is a very difficult area to access. I usually jet wash the crap out of this until it is as clean as possible then spray waxoil into all the areas to catch any bits that are just metal.

uk66fastback

Club Member
You need some Bilt Hamber stuff with the long clear hose attached ... then just spray wax into the crevices as much as possible. You can't paint these areas ... at least I cannot see how you can.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
You need some Bilt Hamber stuff with the long clear hose attached ... then just spray wax into the crevices as much as possible. You can't paint these areas ... at least I cannot see how you can.
Could you not paint with a similar approach - i.e. a long hose with a spray nozzle on the end, if you really wanted to paint?

johnymd

Club Member
I think getting the paint into the area is doable. The biggest problem will be pressing the area to take the paint. If you don't scuff every single bit then the paint will just flake off. That's why I would choose an oily waxy coating.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I think getting the paint into the area is doable. The biggest problem will be pressing the area to take the paint. If you don't scuff every single bit then the paint will just flake off. That's why I would choose an oily waxy coating.
Fair enough. I'll certainly stick to spraying waxoyl everywhere [emoji4]

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I would just clean, prep and paint what you can get to and then plenty of waxoly afterwards, that's what I do.