OS Giken TC24-B1Z in a z

Dougs260z

Club Member
TC24 B12 DOHC for a L28, 3,500,000 yen for a head set and 5,80,000 yen for a complete set.
A gear drive (gear train) will be sold separately as an option , and it is 500,000 yen

Moriarty

Well-Known Forum User
To put things into perspective, call John Wilcox engines and ask for a quote for a competition BDG or ask any high end engine builder what would they charge for a comparative build and the £30+ K for the TC24 will drop into line.

richiep

Club Member
Not the same thing I know (mainly in that it's NOT productionised) but Datsunworks over on hybridz is trying to make a 24 valve twin cam head. I think there's talk of order of $10k if it gets productionised.
It's an entertaining thread anyway http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/119641-twin-cam-head-for-the-l6-from-derek-at-datsunworks/

So someone else has actually been watching that thread! :thumbs: I considered posting about this on several occasions in the past year but I found myself thinking I couldn't be arsed with the inevitable rubbish that might overtake the thread.

What Derek from Datsunworks is doing is very exciting indeed. Someone actually bringing the skills (in his case, CAD and 3D print prototyping) and money to bear and coming up with an entirely credible twin-cam head at a price point well below OSG money. And he's already had the first prototype running and driving in a Z, so it's not a pipe dream.

Summarising the thread, it's a Honda K-series head in essence, using Honda hardware, but redesigned to be 6-cylinder and to fit an L-series block. And then running custom designed ITBs. Worth reading.

datsfun

Club Member
Summarising the thread, it's a Honda K-series head in essence, using Honda hardware, but redesigned to be 6-cylinder and to fit an L-series block. And then running custom designed ITBs. Worth reading.

I read the post with excitement until it got to the Honda part:eek::p

S30's will soon be the butt of Honda Fan boy jokes:smash::thumbs:

richiep

Club Member
I read the post with excitement until it got to the Honda part:eek::p

S30's will soon be the butt of Honda Fan boy jokes:smash::thumbs:

No fear. The overwhelming majority of Z owners here and in the US are too fecking cheap to buy such engine hardware in numbers, therefore reaching critical mass to fuel such jokes will be difficult! :D

The Honda design is only the basic platform that was expanded upon. Bear in mind the head in totality is a custom design by Derek, cast new - no hacking two heads together like has been tried in the past by others!

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I thought others MUST have been following it :)
It's probably what Samuri would be, if it was being done today!
(or is that the sort of rubbish you were worried about Richie?)

datsfun

Club Member
The Honda design is only the basic platform that was expanded upon. Bear in mind the head in totality is a custom design

For the last half century, the L6 struggled to shake off the label that it is effectively a Mercedes unit.

I see the same happening for the twin cam Honda influenced design ^^:p:thumbs:

Talking of twin cams, I recently read a credible source claiming that the intakes and exhaust patterns from a LZ20 are identical and bolt on to a cosworth BDA unit. He is now looking at similarity of other components like valves and cams etc

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I can understand an engineer doing this sort of thing purely for the satisfaction and pleasure in actually achieving the finished job.

For anyone else wanting a twin-cam S30 surely it's better to install a complete engine from a mass-produced car?

strugrat

Club Member
So someone else has actually been watching that thread! :thumbs: I considered posting about this on several occasions in the past year but I found myself thinking I couldn't be arsed with the inevitable rubbish that might overtake the thread.

What Derek from Datsunworks is doing is very exciting indeed. Someone actually bringing the skills (in his case, CAD and 3D print prototyping) and money to bear and coming up with an entirely credible twin-cam head at a price point well below OSG money. And he's already had the first prototype running and driving in a Z, so it's not a pipe dream.

I have also been watching this thread. If nothing else its an excellent read. I also didn't post here for the exact same reasons!

zNathan

Well-Known Forum User

Wow the airflow should be awesome if he's basing it off a Type-R head! Definitely bookmarking that thread! :bow::bow:

richiep

Club Member
I thought others MUST have been following it :)
It's probably what Samuri would be, if it was being done today!
(or is that the sort of rubbish you were worried about Richie?)

But of course - bashing on a set of triples to a head (allegedly in some cases) ported while still attached to the engine in the car would easily compete with such innovation! :devil:

Mainly my attitude has been fuelled by a tendency for more technical threads, or ones about genuine performance innovation, specifically/particularly with L-series engines, to go off piste or fizzle out because of an apparent lack of inquisitiveness, or basic interest. Or - as Rob's comment shows (sorry Rob! :eek: :p) the inevitable "why not just engine swap?"

That's the easy route, and most people - completely understandably - like easy (and cheap). An NA RB makes a lot of sense in that context. However, some people don't want to engine swap, and the L-series is capable, even in single cam NA form, of power levels that are more than enough for the S30 chassis (see the 3.3, 3.4L strokers in Japan pulling 350hp and up). Doing something like the Datsunworks head opens up a whole new arena of L-series tuning possibilities between heavily built single cam engines and the super-premium route of the TC24-B1Z. This is about pushing the envelope within a marque-consistent platform that is actually reasonably accessible to those with the genuine motivation. And the last part - genuine motivation - is key. Twin cam L-series heads are not a mass market bolt-on and never will be (because $$$$$). But for a minority they help to scratch a particular itch and do something different.

I'm watching the Datsunworks project with great interest. It's a great read of a thread, and I'd love to have one. Maybe if I save enough pennies. :lol: If not, I can always dream, and stick with assembling my more modest 3.1L stroker (inspired by/emulating Steve Kiddell's 3.0L) currently sitting in boxes in the garage... ;)

Oh, and:
Honda gives Datsun head.

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

zNathan

Well-Known Forum User
But of course - bashing on a set of triples to a head (allegedly in some cases) ported while still attached to the engine in the car would easily compete with such innovation! :devil:

Mainly my attitude has been fuelled by a tendency for more technical threads, or ones about genuine performance innovation, specifically/particularly with L-series engines, to go off piste or fizzle out because of an apparent lack of inquisitiveness, or basic interest. Or - as Rob's comment shows (sorry Rob! :eek: :p) the inevitable "why not just engine swap?"

That's the easy route, and most people - completely understandably - like easy (and cheap). An NA RB makes a lot of sense in that context. However, some people don't want to engine swap, and the L-series is capable, even in single cam NA form, of power levels that are more than enough for the S30 chassis (see the 3.3, 3.4L strokers in Japan pulling 350hp and up). Doing something like the Datsunworks head opens up a whole new arena of L-series tuning possibilities between heavily built single cam engines and the super-premium route of the TC24-B1Z. This is about pushing the envelope within a marque-consistent platform that is actually reasonably accessible to those with the genuine motivation. And the last part - genuine motivation - is key. Twin cam L-series heads are not a mass market bolt-on and never will be (because $$$$$). But for a minority they help to scratch a particular itch and do something different.

I'm watching the Datsunworks project with great interest. It's a great read of a thread, and I'd love to have one. Maybe if I save enough pennies. :lol: If not, I can always dream, and stick with assembling my more modest 3.1L stroker (inspired by/emulating Steve Kiddell's 3.0L) currently sitting in boxes in the garage... ;)

Can't say it much better than that Rich :thumbs:

richiep

Club Member
It is a great thread. Some proper work going on there. I nearly forgot about it as sometimes its months before an update.

Yeah - there was a lot of action earlier on, but I think real life stuff has slowed things down a bit recently and he's been waiting on third parties at the current stage of progress with prototype #2.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
...........Or - as Rob's comment shows (sorry Rob! :eek: :p) the inevitable "why not just engine swap?"

That's the easy route...............

I can understand an engineer doing this sort of thing purely for the satisfaction and pleasure in actually achieving the finished job.

For anyone else wanting a twin-cam S30 surely it's better to install a complete engine from a mass-produced car?

Rich, I still stand by my 'post'.

You won't buy that head and neither will anyone else on here. It's a technical experiment and a bloody good one. You may think this is L Series development but it's not it's a Honda based head on an L series block and there is probably more Honda and 'aftermarket' bits in that engine than L series.

If there was a race series that required development to stick to an L Series block but the rest was 'free' then fair enough and well done!

The only twin cam head I would want on an L series is an ex-works Datsun one! Modify an L series to the 'nth degree' as long as it's not got a diesel crank etc I love L series engines and have had hours and hours of fun thrashing one. However those engines are not L series. I can fully appreciate the technical work and it's very very interesting BUT we like classic engines don't we - if not fit an RB (or 1jz like John).