'original' race project

richiep

Club Member
Hmm. Dogs dinner there to sort out. Says RHD 260Z... but shell is clearly a 74.5 US 260Z or more likely later 280Z. See rear valance, lower rear quarters, grille with indicators set in it. Possible reshell/VIN transfer? Funny vents on rear quarters hiding US rear marker light holes. Generic cheap arch flares mounted too high.

Most definitely not original RHD car.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I can't work out what "very rear" means. any ideas?

Rare ?:rolleyes:

I suspect that the front grill is simply a 280Z fitted in place becasue the remainder of the front looks earlier (unless the frontn corner valences have been changed too).

Can anyone say from the rear valence holes whether it's a US 260Z (or even Euro 260Z) or 280Z - were they different ?

uk66fastback

Club Member
I hate these ads that say too much to list - what the seller means is, they either don't know, or they really cannot be bothered. I can't be bothered to ring and enquire mate.

richiep

Club Member

I suspect that the front grill is simply a 280Z fitted in place becasue the remainder of the front looks earlier (unless the frontn corner valences have been changed too).

Can anyone say from the rear valence holes whether it's a US 260Z (or even Euro 260Z) or 280Z - were they different ?
The front valance corners have been replaced with that full airdam so you can’t tell based on that. But the grille combined with the quarter panels with no side bumper recesses strongly suggests 280Z. That’s the key identifier. And if it were a 74.5 US 260Z, ie when they switched to the full impact bumper design, it would be totally the wrong year for a U.K. “T” reg. either way, it’s ID is suspect. The whole thing screams 280Z with a bulkhead swap.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I hate these ads that say too much to list - what the seller means is, they either don't know, or they really cannot be bothered. I can't be bothered to ring and enquire mate.

My pet hate are the limited blured photos, half of which are upside down the other are so small in size they appear the size of a postal stamp on the screen.

Do these people really want to sell ?

Mark N

Club Member

I suspect that the front grill is simply a 280Z fitted in place because the remainder of the front looks earlier (unless the front corner valences have been changed too).

The 280Z front indicators mount to brackets on the body, not the grill, so it would have been quite a bit of work to fit it if it was a non-US version.
My UK 260Z had the holes for the federal bumper shocks in the rear valance.

red baron

Well-Known Forum User
just anote for richie o sold my blue 240z rebello leaves tomorrow for france the rta in 2018 has got the better of me loss of licence due to vision my have some bits that could be of use clearing out my books and all parts end of the road after 51years all good things come to an end

Bazzateer

Club Member
Hmm. Dogs dinner there to sort out. Says RHD 260Z... but shell is clearly a 74.5 US 260Z or more likely later 280Z. See rear valance, lower rear quarters, grille with indicators set in it. Possible reshell/VIN transfer? Funny vents on rear quarters hiding US rear marker light holes. Generic cheap arch flares mounted too high.

Most definitely not original RHD car.
To be fair he doesn't claim on the advert that it is original RHD but he should certainly give more info about the provenance.

richiep

Club Member
To be fair he doesn't claim on the advert that it is original RHD but he should certainly give more info about the provenance.
True, it doesn’t outright state original RHD, but the lack of info doesn’t clarify things. It would be easy for someone not in the know to look at that and make assumptions.

TBH, it could be a fun car to sort out and thrash about in, but if it has ID issues... not so much!

peter_s

Club Member
True, it doesn’t outright state original RHD, but the lack of info doesn’t clarify things. It would be easy for someone not in the know to look at that and make assumptions.

TBH, it could be a fun car to sort out and thrash about in, but if it has ID issues... not so much!
Yeah, I feel the same.

It looks like has has quite a few nice upgrades. And the price is not bad if it isn't too rusty. I'd rock that and fix it up... if the ID is ok...