Original 240Zeds still found in Paradise

SacCyclone

Club Member
Yes, actually found in Paradise, California.

I had been talking to an older lady for a month over the phone about a 1973 240Z she wanted to sell. Her mother had passed last year and she was the original. Her mother loved the car and would never let anyone else drive the car including the daughter.

In 1998, the car was garaged for the final time and left to admire from afar as her mom no longer had the ability to drive it.

I asked the usual questions about accidents, rust, re-paints, and cracked dashes. The daughter told me that the car was always garaged and her mom took excellent care. No accidents, no rust, no dash cracks, and original paint. She said that nothing had been changed on the car since it was purchased in Los Gatos California by her mom. In fact, she told me that the car had 65,000 original miles. I asked about documentation in the form of paperwork from repair shops and the dealer to confirm the mileage, she said that she had loads.

The daughter said that she took the car to a repair shop in her town after her mom died to get the car back to road worthy condition. She told me that we could meet at the mechanics shop and he could show me the car and tell me all about it.

Fast forward several weeks and another call from the frantic owner. The mechanic and his wife were going through a nasty divorce and the shop was closed down with the wife taking over the property. Many calls to the shop ended with a agreement from the wife's attorney that the car would be available to remove at the end of the month. The work on the car was left hastily in the middle of the job so it was not running and not drivable.

I met with the daughter and found the car in the parking lot of the mechanics shop. The rear end was apart and sitting on the rear wheels. The boot had several parts inside that needed to be re-installed but after closer inspection, everything seemed to be there.

The car was everything the current owner said it was and included all of the paperwork back to the original dealer sales contract. All of the repair orders had mileage documented so I was confident the 65,000 miles were correct.

After an hour and with the help of a wrecker, I had the car sitting on my trailer and tied down for the long drive home.

Amazed at the condition and the factory everything still on the car. Take a look at the pics.

Clean up next week and installation of all the parts needed to get this girl back on the road.

evc5juX.jpg
[/IMG]

EhlNOUF.jpg
[/IMG]

AfG1SCj.jpg
[/IMG]

Q0ItvJa.jpg
[/IMG]

NEQ7Hfu.jpg
[/IMG]

Qx7LaXt.jpg
[/IMG]

qtEA9tT.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

Paul Henley

Club Member
Interior looks great, car looks great, wonder if the daughter can find the original rims and caps at her mothers.. regardless looks a great find.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
A lot of US cars came dealer equipped with the slot mags.

The cars exactly the same spec as mine! Minus the side trims thankfully for me!

Lovely find!

Red7

Well-Known Forum User
What a great story and fabulous Z :thumbs:

Looking forward to seeing it ready for the road, glorious :cheers:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Lovely find.

Door cards in great condition but what a colour - with black handles too.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Just look at that door fit, mine are like that.

It's because nobody has 'messed' with it, the perfect 'find'.

Last edited by a moderator:

toopy

Club Member
Its pretty rare these days to find an original car in that condition, the inside looks almost untouched, plus only one owner!

Great find :driving:

uk66fastback

Club Member
Very, very nice Mike.

Those seats are either going to be in PERFECT condition or the stitched seams will have gone ... which is it?

My car had one of those EXACT same seat covers on it. Smelt like something else, I tell ya ...

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Great looking car, shame about the nasty looking dent on the rear. Not in an easy place to sort out.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Thanks everyone for your comments, just had to share with you.

Imustaveit: the car was dealer optioned with the slot mags, it is on the original sales contract for $289
I have heard that most dealers set stacks of stock wheels and hub caps on the side of the building for years. Lucky, I have several sets of stock wheels and hub caps that I have been buying for years.

Ibanezdan51: lucky that these are stick on and not riveted side moldings.

Uk66fastback: I checked before buying, the seats are perfect under the seat covers.

MaximG: yes, it offers a little character to the o'l girl.

More pics for your viewing pleasure:

http://imgur.com/a/Ai3sx

g1oApcT.jpg
[/IMG]

uk66fastback

Club Member
Hopefully your detail guy will bring that paint back without too many problems. Looking forward to seeing it when ready for sale ...

SacCyclone

Club Member
Started the back breaking task of engine compartment clean up. I hate leaning over the wings for hours at a time wiping down 40 years of dirt and grime build up but has to be done. Just look at the condition of the paint in the engine box. Lovely!!!

6oM3yx7.jpg
[/IMG]

Pe5t0v9.jpg
[/IMG]

lXNEiGH.jpg
[/IMG]