Ok engine builders of Great Britain you’re on!

Legendary5

Well-Known Forum User
Let’s tackle the never stopping information from the States according how to build your engine best. We, the members, are all like parrots; we read it and imitate each other.
It’s like Skiddel says; Relying solely on US Z information is inherently flawed considering their inherent fear of high compression and that there is an entire stoker scene in Japan that almost no one knows about and who were stroking these motors before the words "Nysaaarn" or "Zee" could be uttered.”

DJ may we start with you, as you build the highly spoken car of Sean. :D Sadly he doesn’t know what’s underneath…… :conf2:
Everybody who wants to fall in …this is your speaker’s corner!!:bow:

What’s best and why? Performance or duration?

Guus

Amazombi

Well-Known Forum User
Hello I hope nobody is angry about me, cause I`m not from GB, but my importent parts at the restauration has been:
L28 Block for most poosible Torque.
A triple Set of 40 Dcoe Weber caburators.
A Hooker Exhaust Manifold.
A Stainless 2.5" Exhaust in two lines.
But the Cam, is allmost standart.
What I tried to get is not that much V-max. I`d like to get in a easy way in a drift each corner with a marvellouse Sound in my ear.
I like to get the power from the ground.
The engine is new bored with new dished pistons and balanced Flywheel and Clutch.
I use a E88 Head with polished channels, I did use the big valves from the E88 Head.
The compression isnt that high I prefer a longer- than Flash-life.
I also use a brand new Water cooler in 3row dimension with E-Fan.
What I still have to get is a oil-cooler set, with everthing in: adapter plate, Thermostat, hoses,..
In my other Klassik (Volvo) I use a Mocal Oil cooler set. Is there a better one which some of you know?
I dont know how it will be:confused: , to drive the Z with that engine but I imagine a lot of fun. Maybe in the close future I will finish my projekt and if anyone is interested:conf2: , I`ll be pleased to let you know.
Best regards.
Amazombi:S30:

Last edited by a moderator:

Legendary5

Well-Known Forum User
Amazombi said:
I use a N42 Head with polished channels, I did use the big valves from the E88 Head.Amazombi:S30:

Bigger valves? See document..

Attachments

• HEAD.doc
    39 KB · Views: 57

Amazombi

Well-Known Forum User
So, there must be a mistake from my side. Sorry for that. I have to check and let you know.
Amazombi

Dave J

Club Member
Its just to involved to get into discusion about. I would'nt give away any of my secrets anyway :D after all it has taken me 18 years of building and tuning Z engines to come up with my current formula . All I can say my freinds is read read and read and try to decipher the puzzle.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Hee hee,

Guus, you're just trying to get free information 'cos you've your engine to build :)

I don't need to know what's under my bonnet - it works ! And that's the difference between a DJ engine and most others (no offence all you VERY gifted amateurs out there). I can't remember a DJ customer walking away unhappy because he cares, not about the money (that's nice 'cos it pays for his racing) but he cares that people are happy.

That means making damned sure that what they have works, works efficiently (secret of power) and keeps on working !

The basket won't even tell me what he's done on my engine 'cos he nows I have a big mouth - he really has plowed in a lot of time and money over the last 18 years and he's got it right. Whatever your application, he has the solution and it aint always expensive and it aint always cheap but it is THE solution for what you want !

Dave has his preferred clients, be one of them and improve. This is no snob value but getting your moneys' worth from your Z !

Legendary5

Well-Known Forum User
Sean, the speaker’s corner that I invented was merely intended for engine builders. Please go wash you mouth somewhere else…
And please don’t return the info I gave you…

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
I also have a DJ engine under my bonnet:D , don't need to know what he has done, it most certainly works very well. So to get the most out of your straight six look no further. If I could build engines like these & set the car up in the way he does I would not give anything away either. A very well proven & respected Z builder/racer & enthusiast, Mr Jarman :bow: I totally agree with Mr Desart on this one.

Legendary5

Well-Known Forum User
If you don’t want to talk about engines, what are we doing here??
I'm going back to my books, American books!!!!! :mad:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
mhlgkmghlmnvmv.............Palmolive tastes 'orrible, worse than Ginéver !

Guus, if you gave lme Ads' details, I forgot - sorry, he recently contacted me so I thought between him and :

http://www.miroux.be/fr/Tournai/departement_racing/

you might find some other ideas closer to home and in your own language.

Now, don't go sulking in your Americana, this is a forum - you give a bit, and others give a bit back (generally more than you gave since there are several people replying :)

So, tell us what you want to do with your engine, your application as everyone is different and see what happens !

Amazombi

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Steve,
do you have any experince with that kind of Engine I try to built?:conf2:
I`m asking you cause I dont wanted to diskus about what someone knows and dont want to tell, I just would like to know if I`m dooing something allready wrong at my motor or if its quiet the right way. Dont want the super-hyper Engine. A lot of Fun on the street that`s it. I`m no politik man. I`m a Z driver.
best regards.
Amazombi

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Hi Amazombi
My knowledge on engine builds is nil but like reading about what people do or are doing to thier engines in an attempt top further my knowledge after all that is what this place and club is here for.

Hopefully some other users who have done work on thier engines will come forward and tell of what improvements and a even damage thier work has done

But some of them will not join incase it turns into a this is the only way to do it thread and not a OH you did it that way thread as it started

Must admit that i find it strange that most of the users who have posted in this thread live outside the UK
But who knows thier are a lot of Z Owners working on thier engines in the UK and maybe once they have a a bit of spare time from this work they may post up on here

Legendary5

Well-Known Forum User
SeanDezart said:
So, tell us what you want to do with your engine, your application as everyone is different and see what happens !
Oh no, I’m not burning my fingers again mate. You earlier asked us to put up a new thread with engine talk, remember?. Well I did but….

STEVE BURNS said:
Must admit that i find it strange that most of the users who have posted in this thread live outside the UK
As Steve says: The first open answer we got from Austria, the two other ‘home engineers’ would not even open their bonnet….. That rings a bell doesn’t it!!!!!

For the time being, Zcar and hybridZ forums are the holy bible opposite the UK site according the technical debates..
Talking about Americans; what wrong with them? Can’t be that bad….you even suggest your French club members to have a look and get their information from him (garage2001 link). That’s odd is it not? Why didn’t you recommend this thread, it had so much pretension in it?

I wish you well, I’ve a lot to read on the internet and in “How to modify you’re Datsun engine”…..

STEVE BURNS said:
What a good idea for a thread but as usual it goes away from the good theme :conf2:
Thank you mister Burns you are ever so kind……

"Colourful fearsome cars were roaring in the woods again. The sight and sound of the mighty Datsun 240Z's will long be savoured"

Mr.G

Club Member
Problem is this in the UK -

not enough people experimenting and working on their own cars and hence they dont know, usual reply is I have got this.. or that.. and paid for it and it works well and don't have a clue about it. Not criticising this, just what i have observed the majority to be like. Hence ask a techy question and you dont receive much of a reply.

And some of the people who do experiment, keep the info closely gaurded to their chest..

Last edited by a moderator:

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
Mr.G said:
And some of the people who do experiment, keep the info closely gaurded to their chest..

It's called being an ass hole mate, were hardly talking ground breaking engineering here. If you want serious BHP go to Japan as I hear thats where it's at.:D