Oil pumps

Farmer42

Club Member
Hi

I am just starting the process of putting my L26 engine back together and i am not convinced about the oil pump especially as it had ben sat for quite a few years albeit with oil still in it. The last thing I want to do is fire it up and I have no oil pressure and have to drain the oil again or worse still, damage the engine. I was therefore thinking that to be on the safe side, I would invest in a new oil pump.

I have been looking at various options and I have seen one on e-bay for £50 (plus import costs) from Taiwan

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbo-Eng...391999?hash=item43e6b4697f:g:0WsAAOSwu4BV6WRZ

However, I noticed it was for a Turbo. There was another NOS item advertised for £199 which is too expensive.

My question is whether a Turbo oil pump will work on a non-turbo engine. I know that the flow will be greater but will I be able to use it? I found an old thread on oil pumps from 2004 but it didn't really answer the question.

Otherwise is there any way of testing a pump to make sure it is ok?

The final option is to possibly use the pump from my L20A engine which I know provides good pressure. However, again I am not sure it is useable for a bigger cc engine. Are the pumps the same on L20 and L26 engines?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I'm pretty sure I've read the turbo pump is fine or even preferable. I don't think it produces higher pressure, just higher flow. However, The FSM (or was it the 'how to rebuild...' Book?) has good instructions for measuring the clearances on the oil pump so it is quite easy to know if your oil pump will work. Even if you get a new pump you should measure it up to check.

Last edited by a moderator:

richiep

Club Member
The turbo oil pump is a common upgrade for non-turbo engines when beefing up for greater performance purposes. My car has one for example.

Mr.F

Inactive
Turbo oil pump will fit and gives +15% on volume and similar peak pressure to standard pump. Great for tuned engines although puts a little extra strain on shaft and drive gear.

Farmer42

Club Member
Thanks guys.

I need to keep costs down as my Missus has just seen how much I have spent on this engine rebuild and she ain't happy:toetap::rant: Buying a new oil pump. even at only £50 might be a bit sensitive at the moment

I think I will break open the current one and test tolerances to see if it is ok to use. Having looked at the 'How to rebuild...' book it gives a good guide on how to do this as Jonbills has said.

If it is naff, Would I be able to use the one from my L20 engine which I know is good?