Oil Leak - Rear Differential

Dondigital

Club Member
My 1972 240z is finally back on the road, which is pleasing but I do have a number of teething issues, which is no surprise considering that it hasn’t really be driven in 18-years.

I noticed that it’s got an oil leak coming from the rear differential. My initial fear was that is was one of the seals that had gone but on further inspection it would seem that the leak is coming from the rear differential housing vent.

I did find one on the Z Car Depot site for 6.99 USD but I baulked at the 26 USD shipping costs.

Has anyone had the same issue and knows where can I get hold of a replacement vent or could offer a solution?

Any advice gratefully received.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I'd be interested to know too, mine leaks a little but I haven't got round to worrying about that yet.

Ian

Club Member
Could it be breathing too much oil?

On my R200 the breather vent would always loose some oil. I now run an extension tube over it to a point higher up the chassis. Solved my problems.

Dondigital

Club Member
I’m about to make a Zcardepot purchase tomorrow and happy to add you part to my order as it won’t impact overall shipping costs
If you're happy to do that, that would be very kind of you. It's this part: R180 R200 R160 Rear Differential Vent OEM 240Z 260Z 280Z. Part #: 200-582 but you probably know that.

Dondigital

Club Member
Could it be breathing too much oil?

On my R200 the breather vent would always loose some oil. I now run an extension tube over it to a point higher up the chassis. Solved my problems.
It lost a fair bit of oil judging by the stains on the drive and there's only about one and a half litres in there to start with. I have fiddled around and pushed the tube upwards so I'll see if that makes a difference.