odd idling behaviour

75er

Club Member
First off... good to see a few S30s among the 350 and 370Zs at Japfest yesterday!

Now, to the question. A few days ago I noticed some strange idling behaviour in my 280z. At start up, the car idles fine (around 800rpm). But after driving a little it develops a taste for idling around 2000rpm - especially if I'm coming to a stop from 3rd or higher & just coast to a halt with the clutch down.

However, if I force the engine to slow down to around 1200rpm or below before shifting into neutral (i.e. by changing down as I slow & keeping in gear until the the last minute).

Reading around online it sounds as if this might be caused by the BCDD system playing up. Does that sound right? If so would people suggest I remove the BCDD (a common suggestion on other forums), or would it be better just to live with it - after all, it's only making me drive like my old driving instructor said I ought to, & I understand it has some other benefits too (such as reducing the risk of backfiring).

Suggestions welcomed!

Farmer42

Club Member
I would start with checking all the linkage & pedal for sticking. It's pretty common! Are you running EFI or carbs? If the latter you should have return springs somewhere that pull the linkage back into position. Perhaps one of those are weak or missing.

I don't have a 280z so don't know about the bcdd ( or what it is):conf2:. My advice is to start with the obvious & simple things before spending dosh on parts you might not need and might be difficult to get.