North Weald drag racing

johnymd

Club Member
I'll be taking the blue car this Sunday 4th June, to have a few pre rice runs on their concrete drag strip. It's not the kind of place to put good times in but good for fun. There is also a wide selection of assorted cars to watch.

As I'm not flying out on holiday until late afternoon it's a good chance to avoid the packing. If I brake the car I'm sure someone will assist me recovering it.

Mr.F

Inactive
I think we decided last Sunday that North Weald will be the official SEKZ venue for June - makes a change...
Will see if organisers will make us an official parking area in the pits as per previous visits.
Memo by text to SEKZ members later today.

johnymd

Club Member
What a great day and good to see so many zeds out again. A real selection of cars that got everyone's attention.

Only did 2 runs and quite while I was ahead. First run I tried to minimise traction by driving through the water and not doing a burnout. Turned the boost down as well and did a laid back 12.3@121mph. Turned the boost up for the second run and did a small burnout to remove the water. Still took it easy off the line and lazy gear changes. This was 12.05@142mph. This is around the terminal I was expecting and the at felt good.
https://youtu.be/IIgtfI26F2o

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
Car running nice very quick zed love it

Anyone got some pictures to upload

Nice at tatton yesterday with fellow zedder there. glad had good day

johnymd

Club Member
Here's the only one I managed to take. Not sure who was in charge of pranks img the parking though :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35

tel240z

Club Member
Yep was a good day weather was kind if not a bit chilly in the morning, got 3 runs in car was on song think the fuel pump may have been playing up a little for a while, 2nd two runs decided to launch in 2nd gear which meant only 2 gear changes still 11.91 at 128 mph will upload some video later if i can thought i had met my match when i was up against a merc with an 89 year old lady driving it :eek:

tel240z

Club Member
Just my luck with the car race number
abb65ffbc3ab1b23ae26d453922432fe.jpg
7294de13ecd44a86622f976a6da0b2cc.jpg
f35fa324bd0e4bbecd129f1984c74d2e.jpg
e0b442116cee0f3852fce280385e5121.jpg
c58aed3588ca3b33b69c66c1d60b840f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
It was great to see so many Zs and a few unfamiliar to me too. I didn't have any wheel hop problems, prob because of the lack of traction. Didn't break any records - best was a 13.9 after you guys left by giving it no more than 2k rpm at the start.
Just for the record, I beat an audi a3, a toyota corolla (I think it was) and a 3 series BMW with a carbon effect /M/ sticker (twice) so that must mean I was quick.

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
Haha good number :) still quick time you put in. What car was you next to. Any of you manage to go down the strip together

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I can't believe you let Terry beat you ;)

Well done guys! :thumbs:

Terry, a pic of me rallying in the 70's. Same number but I didn't realise the significance at the time. :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_2847.JPG
    IMG_2847.JPG
    466.3 KB · Views: 16

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
It's weird when you look at there times and then look at how fast John went 142mph Terry went128mph but had a quicker time

Moriarty

Well-Known Forum User
It's weird when you look at there times and then look at how fast John went 142mph Terry went128mph but had a quicker time

No its actually not weird young jedi
The power delivery of both cars is completely different, one is turbo charged and one supercharged and as such the 1/4 mile profile is wildly different

The real telltale is John's 142 mph terminal that's a direct indicator of power and should have led to a much quicker time.

johnymd

Club Member
There are a few other influences to consider. Firstly, I have broken the car on the last 2 visits to the drag strip. Secondly, I'm sitting at the airport, waiting to get on a plane now and didn't want to miss our flight because I was dealing with a broken car. Both these reasons affected how I treated the car and how gentle I nursed it off the line. These were never going to be quick times. I just wanted to see how the car coped with a full quarter mile. If you checkout the video you will see I spent a very long time in 1st gear and that where most of the time was lost.

Japshow at Santa pod will be the day to see us both run in anger. I'll have gained a bit of confidence in the car so will be happy to abuse it and Terry will have found a load more power from his planned mapping. Should be a close thing.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
There are a few other influences to consider. Firstly, I have broken the car on the last 2 visits to the drag strip. Secondly, I'm sitting at the airport, waiting to get on a plane now and didn't want to miss our flight because I was dealing with a broken car. Both these reasons affected how I treated the car and how gentle I nursed it off the line. These were never going to be quick times. I just wanted to see how the car coped with a full quarter mile. If you checkout the video you will see I spent a very long time in 1st gear and that where most of the time was lost.

Japshow at Santa pod will be the day to see us both run in anger. I'll have gained a bit of confidence in the car so will be happy to abuse it and Terry will have found a load more power from his planned mapping. Should be a close thing.

John, don't beat yourself. So glad the car ran without a breakage. Enjoy your holiday, I'm amazed you were even allowed to go racing!