Nissan Silvia 1.8ZX turbo -250bhp!!

speedfreak

Active Forum User
here we go full spec and pics

f reg 89 1.8 silvia for sale

1989 F Reg. S12
Full Metallic Black Respray (Was original Black but V Sad)
Smoked Side repeaters
Black Sunstrips back and front
Fully De Badged and De locked
Toad Mp5 Thatcham Category 1 alarm with IR Shock Sensor
Central Locking
Cool Louvres one off custom bonnet with Huge scoop and 18 4"Louvres
SE Front bumper
SE Spoiler
Superlite 15"x8" Custom made Wheels
New Toyo T1-Proxes on rear
Lowered 40 MM on SE Springs and KYB Dampers
SE Straight through 2.5" exhaust with custom made LongLife 5" S/S Tail Pipe
T25 Hybrid turbo with adjustable actuator by Universal Turbos
Running at 0.7 bar (will run 1.2 )
lightened and balanced flywheel (1kg lighter than stock)
Denso Iridium Plugs
New Toughened Gears
SE Competition Clutch
S/S Bleed Valve
Magnecor Plug & HT Leads
Samco silicone hose
Cosworth Intercooler
FSE Power boost Valve with Custom Fuel Rail
Sparco Chrome Pedals
One Off Billeted Ally Shift Knob
Racetech Boost Guage in Carbon Fibre Pod
Flamer Kit (I Know I Know but why should the kids have all the toys?)

probably some other stuff as well but cant remember. She is an absolute flyer est 250bhp at wheels, and goes sideways lovely Have spent well over 7.5K on her not including buying her.

£1900

"its a deal its a steal its sale of the f*ckin century!"

pics http://www.sunpoint.net/~nissansilvia/index2.html

evo zero

Forum User
thanks for the info...
but bit puzzled on a few things...can you shed some light ?

standard bhp for these is 135 or thereabouts
you've quoted a guesstimate 250bhp atw which would equate to approx 290+ at the flywheel

how have you managed to get the extra say...150bhp running between 0.7 and 1.2 bar, with just just the modifications listed: hybrid turbo, intercooler, exhaust, pressure regulator, fuel rail, plugs etc

cheers

TenmanS14

Well-Known Forum User
The S12's as standard didn't have an intercooler, I imagine sticking a front mounted one on will make one hell of a difference.

evo zero

Forum User
Originally posted by TenmanS14
The S12's as standard didn't have an intercooler, I imagine sticking a front mounted one on will make one hell of a difference.

I know they didn't have one as standard
& how exactly will it make one 'hell of a difference,'

As seen in the spec, with other mods, a difference of up to (guesstimate) 150 bhp or more over standard bhp figures ?
...all you're doing is cooling the air for running additional boost, eliminating possibility of detonation...nothing more
+ it's only a cossie i/c that's being used, which is fairly small albeit efficient

am i missing something here....?

speedfreak

Active Forum User
evo zero do you actually know anything about turbo charged cars??

the silvia not having a intercooler was feeding the engine with superheated air straight from the turbo- this in itself inhibits at least 60-70 bhp depending on condition of turbo that takes us to 190 minimum - r u with me so far????

then add a huge induction kit, 2.5 straight through pipe from the turbo, including downpipe, one turbo designed for a 2.0 litre, 16v car, intercooler from a cosworth sapphire, etc etc which then, as anybody with a modicum of mechanical intelligence can tell you, adds up to AT LEAST 250bhp.

ok?

now back on subject..... its for sale, interested?

evo zero

Forum User
Originally posted by speedfreak
evo zero do you actually know anything about turbo charged cars??

the silvia not having a intercooler was feeding the engine with superheated air straight from the turbo- this in itself inhibits at least 60-70 bhp depending on condition of turbo that takes us to 190 minimum - r u with me so far????

then add a huge induction kit, 2.5 straight through pipe from the turbo, including downpipe, one turbo designed for a 2.0 litre, 16v car, intercooler from a cosworth sapphire, etc etc which then, as anybody with a modicum of mechanical intelligence can tell you, adds up to AT LEAST 250bhp.
ok?
now back on subject..... its for sale, interested?

some points from the above:
1. I wasn't doubting anything that you'd written in your spec....
just was puzzled...as i'm not totally 100% on the early silvias

2.It would appear that you've taken my questionning as a reason to be somewhat condascending and give me an explanation which is certainly 'interesting' ....
I'll run this past some experts on these engines, e.g. Silvia Engineering and Norris Designs to see what they make of it....
Fairly sure that they'd be very interested in how you've managed to get (your quote)250 at the wheels with the mods listed

3. by the way....my last Mitsi ran a 12.9 quarter at Avon Park on a damp track..so like to think i know a 'little' about tuning

...but thanks for the invaluable information written above ...especially the bit about gaining 60-70bhp from just strapping on a fairly small intercooler and doing nothing else....

There is no mention of a 'chip or ECU change,' increased fuelling/fuel controllers etc etc ......should I assume that these have been given attention in achieving your atw figure ?

& re: the car...i may still be interested...
cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

speedfreak

Active Forum User
I am sorry am I on f*cking trial here?? for wantin to sell my car????

see post below for reply to evo zero

-------------------------------------------------

Back to the matter in hand, still selling my car, took her out for a quick spin yesterday and wow... -why am I selling her??? stunning drive, will be sad to see her go :( but she must go..

speedfreak

Active Forum User
Originally posted by evo zero
some points from the above:
1. I wasn't doubting anything that you'd written in your spec....
just was puzzled...as i'm not totally 100% on the early silvias

Thats not how it came across at all

2.It would appear that you've taken my questionning as a reason to be somewhat condascending and give me an explanation which is certainly 'interesting' ....

Now who's being condescending??

I'll run this past some experts on these engines, e.g. Silvia Engineering and Norris Designs to see what they make of it....
Fairly sure that they'd be very interested in how you've managed to get (your quote)250 at the wheels with the mods listed-

<sound of knees knocking>
What are they gonna do if they disagree?? sue me?? am I supposed to be impressed or something???

3. by the way....my last Mitsi ran a 12.9 quarter at Avon Park on a damp track..so like to think i know a 'little' about tuning

Not really hard for a 4 wheel drive mitsi - I am sure Simon Norris can tell you this

...but thanks for the invaluable information written above ..

Now who's being condescending?? part 2

There is no mention of a 'chip or ECU change,' increased fuelling/fuel controllers etc etc ......should I assume that these have been given attention in achieving your atw figure ?

No chips available so the answer to this one would be no, thats why it has an uprated fuel pump, and fuel valve

& re: the car...i may still be interested...

And you think I am still interested in selling it to you?? :D

cheers

evo zero

Forum User
no ...you're not on trial...but your car is
... I was a genuinely interested party...& was only asking for some ideas of how you achieved the power figures that you quoted, as anyone would....it's part of the buying process ?
but you seemed to have taken it all personally....
- shame...as these are open forums where performance & tuning issues are supposed to be discussed ...even in the for sale section

anyway...
good luck with the sale...which going by your spec list & pix should be fairly rapid

btw
i wasn't comparing myself / car to Simon Norris (or any other tuner)
...I don't have/want to spend £70,000 on an engine and drivetrain to achieve 807 bhp - as per Norris Designs
...and for all that money& power..he's only 2 seconds faster (a long time in drag racing but not worth the spend IMHO)

cheers
:D :D

speedfreak

Active Forum User
bad day yesterday, soz if I came across a bit huffy!!

points taken, huffiness gone

car is still for sale tho;)

Mr.F

Inactive
he's only 2 seconds faster (a long time in drag racing but not worth the spend IMHO)

From low 13s / high 12s to 10s, the spend is exponential for modest linear gains...........

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
:D

This thread has turned out to be surprisingly entertaining! Power figure kinda rings true to me, assuming a base of 150bhp at the wheels then running 0.7bar boost with ideal conditions should give 255bhp. Getting the ideal conditions is of course the tricky part but an intercooler is a good start.

Of course I have been known to not have a clue about what I'm talking about ;)

Cheers,
Rob

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Guessing HP output

I just don’t think that you can add the assumed hp gain for part A , part B and part C and expect to get any sort of realistic figure, all you get is compound error. Engine tuning is all about compatible and complimentary enhancements and a strict regime of measure, analyse, adjust, again and again until you are sure it is right then all over again. Quiet often what you may think is a sure fire major HP win may turn out to be a damp squib, hey even spending a couple of hours on a dyno should not be taken too seriously, I have seen HUGE differences between different shops (try nearly 30 hp on the same set-up)

Anyway sorry to hijack your car for sale thread I'll butt out now-- best of luck selling it.

Regards

evo zero

Forum User
Originally posted by Mr.F
From low 13s / high 12s to 10s, the spend is exponential for modest linear gains...........

true enough...
but to put into perspective
my total spend was £6,500 including car...best time = 12.9
ND's was £70,000+ ..best time(to date) = 10.7
as I said...IMHO, 2 seconds difference is not worth the extra £63,500+

bttt for speedfreak

evo zero

Forum User
Originally posted by Black Bug
:D

This thread has turned out to be surprisingly entertaining! Power figure kinda rings true to me, assuming a base of 150bhp at the wheels then running 0.7bar boost with ideal conditions should give 255bhp. Getting the ideal conditions is of course the tricky part but an intercooler is a good start.
Of course I have been known to not have a clue about what I'm talking about ;)
Cheers,
Rob

entertaining:
that's good ....better than being dull !
am assuming your compliment extends to both 'speedfreak' and myself ? ;) :D

power:
unlikely....
base power for s12 Silvia 1.8 turbo is 120-135bhp at the flywheel (depending on whether it has smog equipment)
....so approx 90-100bhp at the wheels
believe they run (?) 0.6 bar as standard boost

this particular car is running a t25 turbo
- which in itself has a maximum flow rate/bhp ceiling of 215bhp at 1.2 bar max

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
we have had a member reporting this post on a matter of princapal that the for sales section says it is for Z related items only
the guy in question is correct.

maybe we should have a seperate general for sales/wanted section

IMHO allthough this original post is not actually Z related it could be of interest to Z/ZX enthusiasts and has turned into a very interesting thread on power gain per £ value

I am begining to lean towards a seperate for sales section,
god knows we need as many posters on the almost silent forum to get other nonusers to stay here once they have registered

sorry to highjack thread but what do you all think?