Newbie wanting a Z :)

DatzunZ

Forum User

andy smith

Club Member
If you can do it, I would vote spend a bit more try and find a rolling restoration, they do pop up from time to time. Keeps the interest and motivation alive. Duncan Pearcy Z farm (nice bloke) did have a very nice 260,
Good luck

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Don't rush into buying one and steer clear of a 2+2 unless you really need the extra seats. Avoid a sunroof too.

That car would cost a lot of time and money to make 'presentable' - don't be tempted by the fact that it's not a lot of money atm. If that was wise we would all be driving old Rolls Royces.

status

Well-Known Forum User
wots wrong with the 2+2,agree about the sunroof bit unless it is a webasto which is period,also i was told the glass one's weaken the structure,dont know if that is true,bottom line,get wot you like the look of

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
wots wrong with the 2+2,agree about the sunroof bit unless it is a webasto which is period,also i was told the glass one's weaken the structure,dont know if that is true,bottom line,get wot you like the look of
I'm with him 100%:thumbs:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I remember that car & those photos being up on ebay earlier this year, and there was a thread on it here that wasn't encouraging.
You can see signs of rust coming through the new paint, so I'd want to have a thorough rummage around in the rust places to see how bad it is.

I think 2+2s can look great lowered with the right wheels.

DatzunZ

Forum User
Thanks for all the info guys :thumbs:

I'm in no rush so will keep scouring the net for the right one, back to this white one on the bay I have spoken with the seller and he seems genuine enough, apparently it was his brother car who has now passed away so it needs to go, price wise he said he wants £3500 not sure if that's right for something needing work.

Cheers

DatzunZ

Forum User
Which would be best to look out for guys? and what do I need to look out for apart from rust more rust and even more rust. Lol

DatzunZ

Forum User
I remember that car & those photos being up on ebay earlier this year, and there was a thread on it here that wasn't encouraging.
You can see signs of rust coming through the new paint, so I'd want to have a thorough rummage around in the rust places to see how bad it is.

I think 2+2s can look great lowered with the right wheels.

Have you a link to the thread would like to have a read through it.

:thumbs:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
So much 2+2 love:eek::smash::p

Hey datsfun, did you see that 510 on ebay today? Situated in Malta and with a diesel engine but a sound car.

260Z 2+2, ok it may seem I was harsh but anyone looking for a 240/260 and new to Zs may be tempted by a cheap 2+2. The problem then is that they buy one (like the car in the ebay advert) and spend just as much time and money on bringing it up to scratch as a 2 seater. However when they come to sell it the market is limited and the sale price a lot lower. But - if you want more than 2 seats or you prefer the lines of a 2+2 no problem.

It's the same with 280ZXs, E Types, Lotus Elans etc.

There are some nice 260 2+2s around I admit but if a 'newbie' is after a 240/260 I would not steer them towards a rough 2+2. Of course it's my opinion and other's opinions are just as valid.

Last edited by a moderator:

DatzunZ

Forum User
Appreciated Dale :thumbs:

Glad I joined up now was planning on going to have a look at it today however the seller wasn't available to show me around it after 12pm, anyways back to searching ;)

Dale

Club Member
Probably wise. It would worry me the way the paint has 'come away' from the roof. Maybe its an indication of the amount of prep work before spraying?

status

Well-Known Forum User
Had a quick look and it seems too cheap ,walk away,as for the 2+2 bit they do look good when they are lowerd and a good set of wheels and as for being not as desirable rob you are probably right but i think they are more rare than a 260Z 2 seater which is more rare than a 240z so they are probably the rarest of them all,but as for getting yer money back,some people spen 30k on a new car,2-3 years down the line its worth half that so who's lost all that money,makes yer wonder doesn't it,and you normally see loads of em wot ever that car is,i call them clone cars,

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
.................. as for getting yer money back,some people spend 30k on a new car,2-3 years down the line its worth half that so who's lost all that money....

I agree, I've had my 370Z for three and a half years and probably lost £8k on it - glad I bought it at the right price. The original owner lost £10k in 1 year, 1800 miles (1800!).

But the thing is I've had the use of a nearly new, lovely car for 37000 miles in all weathers with all 'mod cons' and 100% reliability. And it still looks/drives like new. You have to take all that into consideration.

My advice would always be - go for a rust-free 2 seater if you can find one 240/260/280ZX. I don't know about Z31/Z32s. I wonder if Nissan will make a 2 seater GTR :devil:

andrew muir

Club Member
So much 2+2 love:eek::smash::p
About time to!!:D
That is way too much for that car, needs so much done to it, seats, wings and probably a whole lot of rust treatment eg welding then a proper respray.
My 2+2 was in much better nick and I've recently spent in excess of £8000 on it.
Its good now but lets you get an idea of what you will have to spend etc.

I think there will be a better one out there some where!!

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
My Advise is go for the model you want if you want a 2+2 go for it remember that on the odd occasion you might have kids or grandkids in your care and you might want to go for a drive in your z and if you have a 2 seater you will not be able to
Forget about resale value no matter what Z (2seater or2+2)you buy it should be for your pleasure of driving it rather than a financial gain issues

racer

Club Member
Robs advice is sound.
It costs the same to restore a 2+2 as a 2 seater let's say 10 to 15 grand. Once complete the 2 seater will be worth twice as much, fact.
Nothing wrong with 2+2's but if you don't need the extra seats it doesn't make sense to purchase one just because it's cheaper to buy in the first place.