Newbie in reading bitten by the Z bug!

P.Unit

New Forum User
Hi all,

Had a bit of a problem with classic Z's for too long now, which got serious when I had a LOT of fun driving back from Prescott Hillclimb a while ago with 3 240Z's along the A40 (grey 205 GTI going a lot faster than it looks like it should be able too.. just incase you ever see this!).

So a new job later and a reasonable pay rise means I can start to look. I'm looking at the lower end of the scale, I've got a little bit of mechanical skill but am lucky to have a lot of friends/colleagues who really know their stuff.

So... theres a few project examples around the 4-5k mark, I get the idea I'd be better of spending around 10 to get a better example although I know this will still need work! Just going to keep my eyes open, I see theres a few in Europe but would prefer to find something in the UK - although I'm fine with LHD.

Any advice/help/opportunities to drool over local cars muchly appreciated...

datsfun

Club Member
At 10k and LHD, you can be selective. There are a few forum users on here who maybe able to supply something suitable?

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I would try and get as complete as possible as missing or damaged parts can be expensive to replace .

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi all,

Had a bit of a problem with classic Z's for too long now, which got serious when I had a LOT of fun driving back from Prescott Hillclimb a while ago with 3 240Z's along the A40 (grey 205 GTI going a lot faster than it looks like it should be able too.. just incase you ever see this!).

I think one of them would be Johnny Palmer and he may sell a car to you - I'm sure he'll see this Thread.

status

Well-Known Forum User
If you can only afford a good left hooker then go for it if you are ok with it,remember you can always convert to RHD if desired at a later stage but remember resale might be a little harsh when the time comes,only time will tell

If you can only afford a good left hooker then go for it if you are ok with it,remember you can always convert to RHD if desired at a later stage but remember resale might be a little harsh when the time comes,only time will tell

I wouldn't say so given some recent sales.

status

Well-Known Forum User
Lots of left hookers Franky that have been for sale a long time,but like I said only time will tell,

johnymd

Club Member
Yeah, that was me Darren and Terry on the A40. Didn't realize 205's were that quick.

Although I don't have any for sale at the moment as I'm in the process of restoring them all myself. It's hard to say I wouldn't part with any. You can check all my cars out by going to www.240z.me.uk which I'll be updating as things progress. The green one's back together now after a full suspension/brake rebuild with all new parts and powdercoated along with sealed underside. The white one should be painted in January then rebuilt/powdercoated the same as the green one. Orange 260 is my current sunny day runaround which I'll probably part with for around 10k.

status

Well-Known Forum User
Probably,the next thing to be said on the subject by the nitpickers on here is,well it ain't a true RHD as it is a lhd converted,it's just gotta happen

P.Unit

New Forum User
They aren't normally, I've put a non standard engine in so its reasonably pokey - hopefully it was a bit of a surprise!

Anyway thanks for all the replies, Jonny I take it you import them fairly often? Your website is not somewhere I should be spending my time. I absolutely love the white car you have, I'd happily run that looking the way it does.

I'm in no rush to buy one, I wanted to sign up here and learn more about them, I'm still trying to learn th difference between all the models!

Is there any meets/events coming up?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
They aren't normally, I've put a non standard engine in so its reasonably pokey - hopefully it was a bit of a surprise!

Do tell!!! Turbo something?

If you think Johnny's web site is dangerous for your financial health, you should try driving one. Mine had me at "hello" with her fire up growl! My wife had to point out the very rare red Ferrari parked next to the z that I was viewing as I was completely blinded when I saw her (and the same happened with my wife too but she didn't growl when we first laid eyes on each other)!

Japfest in April is a good place to go and if you are nice to them, someone may take you round the track in theirs.

The last Japfest I went to, Johnny decimated ALL in his blue one. Driver skill was the main cause and the engine transplant helped a little too. ;)

As for meets, most of us batten down the hatches during the winter to avoid salt and water in places Zs don't like. But there are a few die hards out there who drive no matter what. So you never know.

Red7

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah, that was me Darren and Terry on the A40. Didn't realize 205's were that quick.

Although I don't have any for sale at the moment as I'm in the process of restoring them all myself. It's hard to say I wouldn't part with any. You can check all my cars out by going to www.240z.me.uk which I'll be updating as things progress. The green one's back together now after a full suspension/brake rebuild with all new parts and powdercoated along with sealed underside. The white one should be painted in January then rebuilt/powdercoated the same as the green one. Orange 260 is my current sunny day runaround which I'll probably part with for around 10k.

My new favourite site :thumbs:

Can't wait to see the green one finished, love the colour combination :coolgleam:

P.Unit

New Forum User
Do tell!!! Turbo something?

If you think Johnny's web site is dangerous for your financial health, you should try driving one. Mine had me at "hello" with her fire up growl! My wife had to point out the very rare red Ferrari parked next to the z that I was viewing as I was completely blinded when I saw her (and the same happened with my wife too but she didn't growl when we first laid eyes on each other)!

Japfest in April is a good place to go and if you are nice to them, someone may take you round the track in theirs.

The last Japfest I went to, Johnny decimated ALL in his blue one. Driver skill was the main cause and the engine transplant helped a little too. ;)

As for meets, most of us batten down the hatches during the winter to avoid salt and water in places Zs don't like. But there are a few die hards out there who drive no matter what. So you never know.

No turbos or anything to mental sadly (yet). It's running a modified 2.0 16v from a 306 Rallye. 190bhp but it's only 850 kilos so combined with a super short gearbox (tops out at 125) it's a fun little thing. Will give most modern hot hatches a good go anyway!

I also have an Integra DC2 so done japfest a few times, will just have to wait for the sun to come out I guess..

Either that or I'll get bored and buy one of the 4K wrecks off eBay!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Nooooo don't do it!!! You'll buy £4K of rust dust!!! Patience you must have, as Yoda once uttered! I waited 3 years until the right one popped up but I'm not suggesting you do the same of course. But take your time buddy.

Nice job on the 205 - that would suit the car well!

Any more and you won't get the power down. I would imagine.