Newbie - 350z Owner, looking for Z31

Cuppa

New Forum User
Hi

Quick introduction. New to the site, though Japanese car enthusiast for years. Had a Skyline R33 GTST a few years back, currently own a 350z

Iv been looking at Z31s for a while now and have completely fallen in love. Shame the things are so rare but I guess that also makes them so special. Iv been doing some research around this site and on YouTube and eBay etc

I’m looking for buying advice and things to take in to consideration before purchasing one. I’d like this as a weekend / pleasure car. not a daily driver

My dream would be a manual turbo with the digital dash. Though a manual NA would be fine, wondering if a turbo conversion on them is straight forward? (Must be manual) can anyone shed some light on what the budget would be and / or where to look?
I really love both dashes but since watching a video of the digital dash, it’s won me over. Is that swappable? I imagine also rare as F to find a digital dash on its own too.

there’s a couple of red NA ones on eBay at the moment for a very fair price £2000-£3000

Many thanks
Cuppa

842BC5A8-CA4E-4F18-94E2-F950213C4300.jpeg
E6E2EDEC-AD8E-478B-B459-7A2B0ADAAB6E.jpeg

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Can't say I blame you - they are pretty cool! I believe general advice with Z31 is to buy the spec you want though, not to try to upgrade them as it's complicated and parts are non-existant.

Some top-level points on Z31s in the UK:
  • If you're after a UK car, you can only get a 2+2. You'd need an import for the coupe.
  • UK market never got the Anniversary Edition, digital dash or locking T-tops. A/C is a relatively uncommon option.
  • Parts for these cars are likely to be ridiculously rare, especially if you're buying a model / options package never sold here.

SacCyclone

Club Member
I did not realize until this post that some had digital dashes and some did not....interesting.
A quick scan of the Cali sites shows a few for sale and like most of the older cars out there, the automatic cars look to have lower mileage and are in better condition too.
Mike

Cuppa

New Forum User
Thanks for all the advice and replies so far guys. Some really good points and learnings from Mr Tenno there.. although be they a bit gutting about the anniversary model

sorry, what’s a “Cali” site

And thanks for the 350z compliment, they’re a great buy imo especially at the moment. You get all the comfort of a GT but with the proper no nonsense race performance (sorry not helping you there Bazza

mrM

Club Member
i have only seen one RHD digital dash model here it was a preface lift NA anniversary edition manual in silver and original and i think owned from new by a old gentleman who got to the point where he could no longer get in and out of it and unfortuantly he had to end up selling it,where it is now i dont know ,the thing with the z31 was parts used to be cheap used and during that time was the time to stockpile them as i did,now a lot of spares are expensive and hard to find or obsolete so its best if you want one to find the best car you can to start with,its very common for there to be RUST or holes anywhere underneath even the bulkhead so check carefully also cracked windscreens are common as are fuel gauges not working because of duff sender units in the tank