newbi

gavinv6

Forum User
hi folks, yet another newb to add to the collection, but i want to start with a question if possible, can anyone identify this engine? ignoring the bucket shaped thing on top of it

Attachments

• DSCI0475.JPG
    DSCI0475.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCI0481.JPG
    DSCI0481.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:

Nidge74

New Forum User
Hi and welcome

I can confirm that it is an engine, and the "bucket-thing" adds 10 horses. However I am unable to identify the engine itself.

I hope you enjoy the site and ZClub

gavinv6

Forum User
come on guys someone can surely i.d it, ok here's a tip its a nissan engine. and nige the bucket is a carbon fibre airbox but wouldnt usually be fitted to road cars. but im sure i can sell it to a saxo driver and tell em it'll add 20 lol

gavinv6

Forum User
well done that man. u have earned a ginger snap biccy to go with ya tea lol. but who can elaborate on that and earn a biccy from the selection box?

Nidge74

New Forum User
I thought this was a newbie thread, no a pop quiz

And can the prize not be better than a biccie? The postal system these days, if the postman doesn't eat it it will be stale by the time it arrives. :)

gavinv6

Forum User
it is a newbi thread, i just thought id add a little fun thats all. i only actually know that its based on a vq engine and the vehical it came from, which was not a road car. and wanted to see if anyone else could figure it out. its more a general info gathering excersize than a pop quiz. and i can only afford biccies at present what with the recession and the mp's stealing my money to buy bath plugs and bags of manure

gavinv6

Forum User
cheers quagmire, u got there eventually so no worries, and thanks all for the warm welcome. Rob- unfortunatly no, although they use a vq based engine as well im afraid this version isnt from there. one more guess then i'll reveal its origins. anyone want to make a final grab for it?

JakTheRuby

Club Member
Welcome to the club, o Gavin of the cryptic realm. Is it the VQ35DE from British GT Championships (GT4 Class) 350z, retired in 2006?

jay28

Well-Known Forum User
Hi and welcome to the club,

Where is Albrecht when you need him, I'm sure he could tell you the history of the engine :D

gavinv6

Forum User
good try guys, but unfortunately no-one managed to guess. i thought the bucket/airbox thing on the top might of helped give the game away. either way well done. you probably know more about these engines than i do, but its actually a works Rally raid engine. so points given to those guessing along the race prep'd idea

gavinv6

Forum User
now the part that will probabyly get this thread moved.

after much soul searching and diliberation i have decided to break up this engine. i know this is not the for sale section, but im not a paid up mkember yet. im not essentially selling it just gauging interest really. from what i can gather this is basically a 350z motor, with a dry sump kit. but modified slightly to run in the works rally raid vehical. and strengthened to take 50foot jumps over sand dunes and easily move its driver across hundreds of miles of arid desert at stupid mph without going pop. i will add details of the internal features of the engine once ive started dismantling it, im assuming forged internals and everything lightened and balanced. it has the same bore and stroke of a standard 350z but makes marginally less power due to having a ristriction in the airway to limit its power (probably due to the class it was run in and nothing that cant be easily removed), but it makes its peak power lower down, so they have improved on what is already a very nice engine by allowing it to peak at 4800rpm (in the mid-high 5's for a 350z) for its bhp and if i remember right 5400rpm for its torque (over 6k for a 350z). but this is all just info ive gathered from the interweb and cannot vouch for its integrity since im no mechanic. i will sell any part from the engine at a sensible price, or if someone is will to have a go at squeezing it in somethng. i'll sell it as a full engine, and include the flight case for it.

mods please dont delete this just yet, if i can get enough interest i will certainly pay up for membership and sell it accourding to club rules.