New Z Owner - Devon

Tim Jewitt

Well-Known Forum User
Evening all!

I have, with my heart not my head, after looking around for several weeks and pretty much deciding a Z was probably out my price range, just agreed the purchase of taxed and tested but decidedly rough 260 2-seater. Collecting it on Friday. I worked in a bodyshop for a couple years when I left school so I know how to weld (or I did over a decade ago) but mechanically I am, frankly, fairly clueless. And right now I don't even own a jack. But, you have to start somewhere, right?

So, long story short, you will probably getting swiftly fed up of numerous HELP type threads from me over the next few weeks and months as I try and get this thing into better shape. I want to drive it not just work in it, so plan is a sort of gentle rolling restoration.

Will stick some pics up when I get it home!

Cheers,

Tim

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Probably one of the best cars to do mechanical work on, it's (mostly) all really easy!

Only scary stuff is rear spindle pins and stub axles but if your car is MOT'd then you shouldn't have to touch them.

look forward to the pics :thumbs:

Nidge74

New Forum User
The bug will bite, and the bug will stick.

Welcome to Z ownership :)

Keep us updated, there is a lot of knowledge here

Tim Jewitt

Well-Known Forum User
Even scarier when you're not entirely certain what either of those things are...

You've just reminded me to buy that Haynes manual on eBay!

Ian

Club Member
I'm sure most people are happy to help here, but also remember to search, I've found a lot of things by just searching and if I can't find the answer then I'll post it up.

Get some photos up once you get her.

Tim Jewitt

Well-Known Forum User
The Haynes isn't really much good, it's better to download the factory service manual from XenonS30
It tells you how to do pretty much everything

The Haynes is just a truncated version with a few mistakes thrown in to keep it interesting

Also check out Tech Tips for step by step guides

Brilliant, thanks! Will get that run off the big printer at work tomorrow! Tech Tips link bookmarked!

candy red

Club Member
Hi TIM welcome to the forum the guys on this forum are really great, for good advice if you can't find out something on here, you you won't find it.if you want new parts and top advice contact MIKE FEENEY mjp eastern autos you can pm him for phone number he was a great help for me while doing my 280zx he is known as the god of all zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs good luck with your car.:cheers: Derrick:D

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Oh by the way, depending what year your car is, it might be closer to the 280z when looking at those downloadable service manuals.

Mr.G

Club Member
Welcome Tim.

You can't really go wrong with a late 240z manual or early 260z one, there may be some differences but nothing massive.

As others have said the mechanics are easy peasy, it's the welding you need to be good at, so good news that you've got some experience, it will be like riding a bike!

Best of luck.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
It's a very early one so presume I'll want the 1974 260Z manual?

If your car has a full depth spare wheel well then it's an early one, if it's a shallow well for a space saver then it's a late one. I think. It seems they changed some parts over the course of production. If you post the vin number up then someone will be able to confirm. Also, the FSM on that site is for the US 260z so there are a few differences with regards to fuel lines and carburetion, and the electrics inside the cabin.

If you get stuck on anything then I can compare it to my car which is an early 260z too, though a lot of my car's electrics was screwed about with by previous owners.

Tim Jewitt

Well-Known Forum User
Deep one if I remember correctly.
Gotcha, and thanks, that's great. A chap not 15-miles down the road from me has kindly PM'd me offering assistance and a look at his early 260 too. Glad I joined!

Mr.F

Inactive
If your car has a full depth spare wheel well then it's an early one, if it's a shallow well for a space saver then it's a late one

...and you are in America and it is a 280Z not a 260Z...

All UK cars had a full size spare. Many of the changes that took place for the 280Z in America never got implemented here.