New project arrives this morning

johnymd

Club Member
After waiting for the paperwork to be in order my new project finally arrive so I can now see what I'm starting with. At the moment I have no firm ideas as to which direction this one will take but I am leaning towards keeping the look pretty much as is. The general condition of the car is good with the major areas of rust being the backs of the front wings. There is also rust in the same areas behind the wings. A few small holes in the outer areas of the floors and the odd hole on the underside of the sills. Other than that its solid. This is a frame and body car and the frame looks very good. The car looks like its never been touched in its life and is complete. Mileage shows 33k and I could believe this. It has been sitting for a very long time and the first job will be to try and get the engine to turn over. If the engine is beyond repair then I'll probably go hybrid.

The first 2 pics are obviously the car I've bought and the others are the rear arch style I like and to give me a bit of inspiration.

Attachments

• Roadster ratty 2.jpg
    Roadster ratty 2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Roadster ratty 1.jpg
    Roadster ratty 1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Roadster interior.jpg
    Roadster interior.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Roadster engine bay.jpg
    Roadster engine bay.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Roadster front quarter.jpg
    Roadster front quarter.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Roaster rear quarter.jpg
    Roaster rear quarter.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 97

uk66fastback

Club Member
Wow John, love those seats in the third pic and the overall look of the redone car. Not too wacky! Saying that, I could quite happily just leave it in the condition it is in the opening two pics as a kinda ornament.

That engine install looks extremely clean.

atomman

Club Member
I've always liked these little cars , the screen on the SEMA car does it for me , looks great , not very practual over here but great in california ,

Maybe you could go in between and still have a working roof , in case of rain?

Ian

Club Member
Nice project.

I like the finished example, apart from the screen. Love the engine bay.

LiamR

Club Member
I have a nice SR20DET in my 280z that will look perfect in that shell

Always loved these! Cant wait to see what you do with it.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
It's a 2 litre then.

Yeh, those tall windscreens are a bit ugly and must cause a lot of drag.

It'll be interesting getting it running - will you video it for us please?

johnymd

Club Member
It’s a 1600 Rob.

The tall screen version may not look as pretty but much more practical as your not trying to look under the frame. These cars were not built for people over 5ft.

toopy

Club Member
Really like these cars, looking forward to the build thread! the grey one looks great, the bigger but subtle arches suit the car really well :)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I think that you can get away with a screen of that shape and height (love it) whilst wearning a flyers' helmet and goggles (uber cool):coolgleam:.

I can put you in touch with someone here who's probably the best expert* on these cars having prepared and competed in a SPL311 and currently preparing an SRL311 :

https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1700460241.htm/

*meaning he knows where to source the right parts

Ped

Club Member
Very nice project! Do love these cars. Look forward to seeing the direction you take.

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Nice, fairly rust free, probably find the front of the sill, under the front wing may have gone. A usual place.

This looks like a 1968 or 1969 model, tall windcreen. Preceeding years came with a lower 'screen, and can be converted back from tall to lower. Ugly dash can be converted to the better pre 1967 flat dash, which looks a whole lot better. Plenty of info on engine swaps, performance upgrades. Even a well sorted stock one of these will give a standard 240z a run for its money on a twisty road. Been a passenger in few, stock or breathed on. Nissan did a great job designing these.

Been into and understanding the datsun SP311 and SR311's for about 15 years, partly as I own a coupe version which will eventally have period upgrades.

Another "expert" here who can help guide you on where to find stuff and info. If you ditch the seats, I can help you find a home for those.

johnymd

Club Member
Yes Ian, Rust is limited to the back of front wings and the areas below them. It is a '68. I don't mind the tall windscreen and newer dashboard. I'm interested in getting the most from the handling and would of liked to get the engine running but at the moment that's not happening soon. Pulled the engine apart today after failing to free it. It all looks to be in very clean good condition apart from corrosion on one of the bores. As I have a 1.8 MX5 engine and box sitting in the corner of the workshop and it's only a "weekend's work" swapping it over with no cutting or mods required to the car. I'll probably fit that for the time being and get some use out of the car.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Another "expert" here who can help guide you on where to find stuff and info. If you ditch the seats, I can help you find a home for those.

I beg your pardon Ian-so long had you not been up here, I hasn't included you so yes John - listen attentively to Uncle Ian !

Yes Ian, Rust is limited to the back of front wings and the areas below them. It is a '68. I don't mind the tall windscreen and newer dashboard. I'm interested in getting the most from the handling and would of liked to get the engine running but at the moment that's not happening soon. Pulled the engine apart today after failing to free it. It all looks to be in very clean good condition apart from corrosion on one of the bores. As I have a 1.8 MX5 engine and box sitting in the corner of the workshop and it's only a "weekend's work" swapping it over with no cutting or mods required to the car. I'll probably fit that for the time being and get some use out of the car.

Don't use an mx5 lump. its a heavy, under powered lump. Do the car justice, if you swap, go N/A sr20.

LiamR

Club Member
I saw vintage dashes have just started on their next product. Its happens to be a new dashboard for these. Gorgeous!