New performance strurts

Mr.G

Club Member
Hi all,

I'm on the search for new struts, I'm looking for a firm but comfortable ride, ie not too harsh.

So far I've been considering getting the tokico illuminas or the HPs. I like the idea of the illuminas adjustability which could be set firmer for say when I'm at the drag strip.

I know there are also other options out there such as the Konis, so what are your experiences?

Some of this stuff has been covered before so apologese if I should be using the search function but i also wanted a fresh approach especially considering what I want it for, mainly, cruising, twisty roads and drag racing.

I know it's not easy getting a one fit for all but if there is something that could closely fit the bill please tell me about it! :thumbs:

Cheers.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all,

I'm on the search for new struts, I'm looking for a firm but comfortable ride, ie not too harsh.

So far I've been considering getting the tokico illuminas or the HPs. I like the idea of the illuminas adjustability which could be set firmer for say when I'm at the drag strip.

I know there are also other options out there such as the Konis, so what are your experiences?

Some of this stuff has been covered before so apologese if I should be using the search function but i also wanted a fresh approach especially considering what I want it for, mainly, cruising, twisty roads and drag racing.

I know it's not easy getting a one fit for all but if there is something that could closely fit the bill please tell me about it! :thumbs:

Cheers.

By a strange coincidence Skiddlell and myself have been discussing a "new approach" to S30 suspension. Well new for us anyway.;)
With our annual "boys outing" to Autosport International looming for Jan it will be the ideal opportunity to start browsing measuring and bargaining:D
the S30 suspension and the old school limited mods commonly used are fine but a bit old hat.eg Weld on collars and Tockicos
We are looking to buy/modify/fit something more modern.
Catch up with us soon for our thoughts.:thumbs:

M

madmarco

Remember soften the suspension for the drag strip and stiffen for the track. :)
This will allow the rear end to drop and bite when you launch at the strip and avoid roll when you hit the twisty bits.

I had a chat with gaz today, they'll do a coil over conversion with dampers and springs to match/chosen spec for a sensible price. Also a very adjustable set for extra. It works out cheaper than buying tockio and springs!

datsfun

Club Member
I had a chat with gaz today, they'll do a coil over conversion with dampers and springs to match/chosen spec for a sensible price. Also a very adjustable set for extra. It works out cheaper than buying tockio and springs!

Another vote for GAZ from me:thumbs:...unless you are planning on doing the east african safari, then their applications will do the job fine;). Build quality is great and v good customer service.

GAZ equiment is used on heaps compeition cars, rally, track, touring, so they must be doing something right:smash:

In the past, I have paid around 350 notes for complete front coilover conversion. Send in old bare struts and they come back with adjustable dampers and ride height set up , with chosen 2.25" springs.

rears are cheaper normally

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Gaz...well respected but we wanted to re engineer the whole thing....... when you re damper the existing tubes, often the dampers are not matched to the spring rates and the shock valving is also either primative or innappropriate, also when adjusting the car height with existing weld on and bolt on adjustable platforms you end up pre loading the spring which can cause handling issues

What we want to do is incorporate modern technology, something like this (just an example, not specific to Tein, could be any damper/spring package)

images

Or

tein_src_evs.jpg

Yes I know they wont fit in the tubes blah blah blah.......thats the point....re engineer the whole thing, throw away everything above the hub

Last edited by a moderator:

datsfun

Club Member
Hats off for looking at re-engineering the struts.... :cheers: will you be making these with a view to sell to members?

GAZ use complete new tubes when they do the coilover conversion as they grind off existing Nissan unit at base of hub and weld in their threaded tube to desired lenght etc...thats what they did on mine anyway.;)

Gaz...well respected but we wanted to re engineer the whole thing....... when you re damper the existing tubes, often the dampers are not matched to the spring rates and the shock valving is also either primative or innappropriate, also when adjusting the car height with existing weld on and bolt on adjustable platforms you end up pre loading the spring which can cause handling issues

What we want to do is incorporate modern technology, something like this (just an example, not specific to Tein, could be any damper/spring package)

images

Or

tein_src_evs.jpg

Yes I know they wont fit in the tubes blah blah blah.......thats the point....re engineer the whole thing, throw away everything above the hub

When I spoke to GAZ they already do that.... They cut off at the bottom, put on their own new tubes and coilover parts, fit dampers to suit the spring rates(none adjustable) or fit adjustable dampers to suit a larger choice of spring rates and to give a range of adjustment to suit with an external adjuster. You only change the spring perch height too, not pre-loading the spring.

If you consider what a set of half decent dampers cost here in the UK and a set of springs(un-matched) and you're already at the cost of the matched set above and you get adjustable coil over platforms.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Hats off for looking at re-engineering the struts.... :cheers: will you be making these with a view to sell to members?

GAZ use complete new tubes when they do the coilover conversion as they grind off existing Nissan unit at base of hub and weld in their threaded tube to desired lenght etc...thats what they did on mine anyway.;)

Whatever we do will be for ourselves . We have no plans for marketing.
They will be more than £4.99 each so many Z Club members wont be able to justify spending the money.:D

We are not planning on welding any new tubes anywhere. We are planning on mounting some existing coilovers on the Nissan hubs.
We dont know how yet.:eek:
We only talked about it this week.
We will need to have lots of cups of tea and coffee round my kitchen table before we can progress any further.and maybe chop up some spare struts on our lovely chop saw.:cool:
As already said we are at Autosport international in Jan. No doubt we will have a tape measure and a digital camera with us;)
We might even get some stuff at a "special" show price.:thumbs:

On the other hand we might get bored with the whole concept and buy some Nitrous Oxide kit instead for the Melton Express.

On the other hand we might get bored with the whole concept and buy some Nitrous Oxide kit instead for the Melton Express.[/quote said:
That sounds like fun, who needs to go round corners if you can go fast in a straight line;)

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
As Pete says

1. Its experimental and also a bit of fun.
2. No new tubes, tubes are old hat and dont maintain geometry well..move on.
3. We might get bored and finish off the time machine or skateboard the Gobi desert instead.
4. We might run out of tea and have to drink the 8 litres of discount Gluvine my wife bought from Aldi
5. They will be more than £4.99 so Z folks won't buy them.
6. It might be a total failure...oh well move on to the fibre glass dashboards instead....oh hang on Sean has already developed those :rofl:

Frankly said:
That sounds like fun, who needs to go round corners if you can go fast in a straight line
Fortunately the Melton express already has very competant suspension (Leda) and does both very well......however the current suspension lets it down with its lack of damp adjustment and modern set ups have multi way adjustable valving and external reservoirs meaning that you can match the damper to the spring.

As stated, we have no intention of selling them.....BUT if it can be made to work them there is nothing stopping anyone doing it themselves.

Robin260z

Forum User
2011-11-19143819.jpg

DSC03829.jpg

DSC03832.jpg

DSC03833.jpg

2011-11-05134218.jpg

2011-11-05134225.jpg

2011-11-25144117.jpg

This is how i build my d2 racing coilovers from a mazda lantis ba onto my Z's suspension.

I can adjust the height with 20/30 mm . I have made some custom topmounts wich also lowered the car more. front 40mm more and at the back 60mm.

I can adjust the ride height with the coilovers. I can also adjust the inbound by turning the spring tighter or looser. And i can adjust the damping on top of the coilover.
But i gues these coilovers will be much stiffer than shocks like tokico's or koni because they dont use original springs.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Great post Robin thanks
I was looking to do something very similar but to use the eye bush that most new aftermarket struts have to allow the strut to pivot at both ends (the top has a spherical bearing) that way you can maintain geometry (better) under compression/extension

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
I had an emailconversation with Intrax ( Auto veren, schokdempers en schroefsets door Intrax Racing Suspension ) they are going to make a set for the 240z too, they already have a set thats made for rally purposes ( http://www.intraxracing.nl/?cat=pro...Z_/_280Z_(Nissan_Fairlady_Z)_schokdempers_RSA ) but if i bring my car over there and pay them 3000 euro's they will make me a set fully adjustable, heigt, damping, inbound, rebound, and everything else. They will mount it on the car as well and i get a free trackday with a mechanic to adjust it to my desires.
After that they can make more sets because they'l have all measurements form my car.. so i guess they can do it cheaper.

Mr.G

Club Member
This thread has really opened up my eyes on the less obvious, to me, direction to go.:thumbs:

I am also willing to pay more than 4.99 :)

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
This thread has really opened up my eyes on the less obvious, to me, direction to go.:thumbs:

I am also willing to pay more than 4.99 :)

Yes We know that George.:D
Like the gearbox.... all good things come to those who wait;)

It seems that Steve and me were not alone in wishing to move on from old skool technology.
Possibly one of the best new threads for a while:confused: