gazc130

Active Forum User
Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum and new to z's. Always been a classic datsun fan since being a kid. I've just bought myself a 1976 280z manual from the US today that has been stored for the last 20 years, so needs brakes, clutch and mechanics sorting, so i'll be making good use of this forum as i'm considering doing a lefty to righty conversion on it if I can find the bits I need. I live in Bognor on the south coast and would be happy to get involved with the club in this area.

All the best

Gary

Dale

Club Member
Welcome to the club Gary :thumbs:

Do you have any photos of the car? Get them up if you do ;)

There are loads of highly knowledgable owners on here who will be happy to advise you on your way, so get asking if you have any questions.

Any more plans other than getting it up and running and the possible conversion?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hello Gary, thanks for joining. I'll process your application ASAP - currently working off a very slow 'netbook' whilst decorating my new 'office' room.

It will be interesting to see a 280Z in the UK - not many about.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
that's a cheap car ,looks fairly good condition .I hope you going to bin that rear bumper or you could use it to make a canoe

gazc130

Active Forum User
yep scraping the bumpers, hoping to find some 240/260 bumpers. I'll look to get it mobile first and weigh up what i've bought, desperately need some new wheels. Always wanted a Z, I have a 120y a couple of bluebirds and a Laurel Coupe when I was younger, but really looking forward to getting this...

Wyn

Club Member
Be interesting to see this when its done
Early car so I assume not so hard to find bits for, at least as a 280z over ere :thumbs:

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Sorry if this sounds negative, but weighing up advantages / disadvantages is this car really a wise choice?

Several years of non running means that the fuel system at the very least will need quite a lot of work to re-commission, as well as brakes and who knows what else. What's the real reason it was taken off the road in the first place?

A non-running car can be more difficult to ship, unless you are putting it in a container. I've seen instances of them being shifted around by fork lift truck, which inevitably damages the the bodyshell. Cheapest and simplest form of shipping is RO-RO, which usually requires the vehicle to start on the key...

But apart from all that, it's a north American market '280Z' model. That's OK if you want to keep it in '280Z' spec, but if you plan on making it look older then you're going to be throwing away half of what you've imported. Converting to RHD will be much more difficult than if it was an earlier car, too.

In which case, would it not have been more economical in the long run to have bought an earlier car in the first place?

Russell

Club Member
Welcome Gary,

I am in Billingshurst so pretty close to you, my grandparents live in Bognor.

I have a 1975 260z that comes out of the garage on nice days

You should come along to a southern meet when it is on the road.

Russ

gazc130

Active Forum User
Thanks Russell, sounds like a plan.... Albrecht, blimey you're a cheery soul... it's just an old car, that i'm taking a punt on, I enjoy working on classics and fancy a Z, of course its gonna need some work, but i'd much rather do the mechanics than spend my life welding and welding and welding. I used to buy and sell classics and I enjoy pulling them back from the brink...

This is a car i've just done that hasn't turned a wheel for 8 years, needed brakes, shocks a bit of paint and a good old clean up. It's come out fine. This is what im looking to do on the Z.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251368974260?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

All the best Gary

Gary, I think you've not understood what Albrecht was saying, totally.

If it comes across in a container they'll charge you about £400 just to take it out this end, Plus you'll have extra charges in the states for moving it across the country and to a port, along with loading fees. I guess you've already been through the costs though?

It'd be nice to see a 280z in this country as I don't think there's many around.

gazc130

Active Forum User
Hi Franky,

Yes i've got the quotes $1500 from sellers home to Southampton and i've been quoted that for RORO and I did explain it was a non runner at this point, im anticipating some additional costs though....

Gary

Hi Franky,

Yes i've got the quotes $1500 from sellers home to Southampton and i've been quoted that for RORO and I did explain it was a non runner at this point, im anticipating some additional costs though....

Gary

Thats a pretty amazing quote, who was it with? East or west coast?