New member with 240z in Worcester

Steely

Club Member
Hi, new member and new custodian of a 72 240Z, lhd US import in bright yellow! 5 speed s13 and matching diff, brake upgrade and a couple of other bits.

Car was imported and owned by MZR and is in good condition, but wasn’t used much by previous owner, only covered a few hundred miles since import and recommission.

It needs a few things to finish it off, decent seats, mirrors and a couple of trim bits, for example looking for rear light access panels. The mechanical fuel pump failed pretty much straight away, electric pump will be fitted soon, weekend I hope!
I’m having some bits fabricated for window corners to attach mirrors and new seats will come, unless I can source some nice originals (?).

I’m a regular at all sorts of classic meets and events, local to Worcestershire and further afield, and also drive a 75 BMW 2002, and my daily 84 Audi GT coupe.
Looking forward to taking it to a few things and meeting other owners, and learning from your experiences.
Thanks, Paul.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Hi.

Did the pump fail or simply the membrane inside ?

Anyway - welcome : any photos of said Z...I might have been there at it's rebirth on Europes' shores.:)

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Welcome! Great choice in classics, obviously a man with good taste;)

I think I know the car you have bought. Previous owner in South Wales?

There are plenty of meets to attend with fellow Z owners and in Worcester you are well placed to easily get around.

atomman

Club Member
Welcome Steely ,

I'm only down the road by Swansea , and tend to spend most dry weekends driving my Z up Brecon mid wales so not far from you ,

There's a few of us round this way now , I think we need to organize a meet and drive round the Welsh roads next spring,

If you need and help or advise feel free to give me shout , I do like playing round with old Z cars

You already have good taste in cars with the 2002 and Audi Coupe, hopefully the Z will fit in well with the others ,

Is the car Ed Brookes old car by any chance ?

CheerZ

Gary

Steely

Club Member
Hi Sean, the arm on the pump requires more travel than the gear on the cam provides, a lot more! although the pump itself can’t be very old, I have experience of low quality mechanical pumps on other cars, assume this is the same.
The bigger problem though is the spacer has started to crack, and I can’t find a replacement that isn’t silly money.

The wiring for the electric pump is in place, so will go that way.

Hi.

Did the pump fail or simply the membrane inside ?

Anyway - welcome : any photos of said Z...I might have been there at it's rebirth on Europes' shores.:)

Steely

Club Member
Hi Gary, yes it’s Ed’s old car from Conwy, do you know Ed and the car? I see on Facebook another Z in Worcester so will have to make contact.
I am always up for a drive on good roads, and there nothing better than a convoy of classics :driving:So look forward to that.

Thanks for offer of help, at the moment I’m preparing the car for regular use, the bucket seats that I think are “Datsun motorsport” style need to be replaced ASAP (I can just about fit in them' the drive home from Conwy was painful), I’m thinking of visiting a place called intatrim unless I can find a really good original pair for reasonable money, and I’m fitting door mirrors and seatbelts, then see where we are when I can drive it properly.
The only bit missing are the rear light panels as far as I can tell, any help with parts or good sources appreciated.
Hi Sean, the arm on the pump requires more travel than the gear on the cam provides, a lot more! although the pump itself can’t be very old, I have experience of low quality mechanical pumps on other cars, assume this is the same.
The bigger problem though is the spacer has started to crack, and I can’t find a replacement that isn’t silly money.

The wiring for the electric pump is in place, so will go that way.

Welcome Steely ,

I'm only down the road by Swansea , and tend to spend most dry weekends driving my Z up Brecon mid wales so not far from you ,

There's a few of us round this way now , I think we need to organize a meet and drive round the Welsh roads next spring,

If you need and help or advise feel free to give me shout , I do like playing round with old Z cars

You already have good taste in cars with the 2002 and Audi Coupe, hopefully the Z will fit in well with the others ,

Is the car Ed Brookes old car by any chance ?

CheerZ

Gary

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Welcome to the club, you're not far from me - Just near Nuneaton/Atherstone.

Get some pictures up! I may be interested in those seats if you want to move them on!

Cheers,
Dan

WazzaJB

Club Member
Welcome to the club, you're not far from me - Just near Nuneaton/Atherstone.

Get some pictures up! I may be interested in those seats if you want to move them on!

Cheers,
Dan
Not to poach, but I have some 280Z seats in need of love I'm looking to rid myself of (providing Steely wants to keep his).

Welcome to the club Steely. I'm only Cannock too and work in Birmingham, maybe a midlands meet is on the cards in the future?

You're probably not that far from Caffeine and Machine? Would be a good day to get a few Zs there!

Look forward to seeing a picture of the car!

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Not to poach, but I have some 280Z seats in need of love I'm looking to rid myself of (providing Steely wants to keep his).

Welcome to the club Steely. I'm only Cannock too and work in Birmingham, maybe a midlands meet is on the cards in the future?

You're probably not that far from Caffeine and Machine? Would be a good day to get a few Zs there!

Look forward to seeing a picture of the car!

I think Steely's seats were none standard which is what I was looking for - I have some standard 240Z seats.

Thanks though Wazza!

Dan

Steely

Club Member
I will be looking to move those seats on.
Caffeine and machine yes, I have been a few times in my 2002, great Z meeting place for sure :cheers:
Also up for a Midlands/Birmingham meet, will look out for venues too.

I will get some pics up as soon as I get chance to give it a clean! Its looking pretty sorry in yellow and mud!

Steely

Club Member
oh! I’ll visit anyway, but I have a couple of other options, this is a big thing, any recommendations for sear suppliers with modification options?

also keen to see the seats.

I'd not bother with intatrim, they're not great!

Steely

Club Member
I looked at the corbeau sportsman (at GSM), a contender, but I would like more bespoke if I can. I saw a 260z that was done by imtatrim and it looked pretty good to be fair.

Steely

Club Member
Odd thing, I took the mechanical pump off again today to have another look, and it is working fine! All I did was remove it, empty it of fuel, and test it, put it back in and it fired straight up! At least I can drive it on my ramps now and fit the electric pump!

I think so, it didn’t seem to be able to move easily anyway, I will take it apart in due course to keep in the boot as a spare.

WazzaJB

Club Member
I have Corbeau seats in my Datsun now and absolutely love them. Albeit not classic ones so they are a tight squeeze!

Steve Hannon at Corbeau was really helpful, so I'd recommend them on a customer service level too. They sent the wrong brackets from the US and he sorted it all for me.

IMG_20190711_135128.jpg IMG_20190711_135045.jpg