New member (260z)

Duncan Scott

Club Member
Hello, I’ve just got around to joining, but sourced my 260 a couple of years back from the chap who had imported it from US. It’s a 6/74 car which went through the MOT and was straightforward to register on an M-plate. In preparing the car for the MOT, the mechanics discovered some large spiders which had hitched a ride from California, and wouldn’t go near it again until it was professionally treated. More traditionally, a new radiator, brake master cylinder and servo, water pump, rear shocks and brake lines were all fitted.
Since taking delivery, I’ve been working on the bodywork (quickly dealt with some surface rust, but otherwise, very slow and intermittent effort), and also trying to decide what sort of car I want to end up with. For example, I stripped out the amazing shock-absorbing bumper brackets, but haven’t yet sourced any replacements (brackets or bumpers). Probably my biggest conundrum is the badly-cracked dashboard - it’s a left-hand drive (which I’m fine with), but the plastic glue-on cover I ordered didn’t seem anything like a good fit. Then I bought a material cover which actually didn’t look at all bad, but the trouble is, I know what is underneath. So that’s my start-point - how to handle the dashboard issue. After that, I’ll need to think about switching out the auto-box (or not), and replacing the bumpers. There’ll be a hundred other things of course, but I’ll be doing a lot of reading on this site, and only asking if I can’t find things on my own!
Thanks for reading

Attachments

• 89B36FEF-9739-45D4-8C6F-088E56B850A3.jpeg
    89B36FEF-9739-45D4-8C6F-088E56B850A3.jpeg
    24.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 88AC4843-AB2E-4E1F-ADF5-316BA97DD433.jpeg
    88AC4843-AB2E-4E1F-ADF5-316BA97DD433.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 894B9E15-8821-4DAC-8B41-577B0C07217D.jpeg
    894B9E15-8821-4DAC-8B41-577B0C07217D.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 50

uk66fastback

Club Member
Seems like you're enjoying the car Duncan, which is good. 110 is the best colour of course! Why not have a go at restoring the dashboard yourself - lots of advice on the 'net about how to do it.

Pondo

Club Member
Why don’t you try Romas for the dash as I think he was bulk buying off them as well.

......and welcome.

Sorry just read again maybe Romas is their European distributor?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Hello Duncan and welcome!!

That looks like a lovely car and I recall the story about the joy riders from across the pond.

You are lucky to have an LHD car as at least you are able to buy remanufactured dashboards. Also the early 260 is very similar in many ways to the 240, but the late 260 (1977-78) has quite a few subtle differences under the skin.

I know that the 260 dash has different mounting points to the 240’s but not sure if the early 260 has the same ones as the 240. So check what you are buying fits before you spend money.

Buy the bumpers with the rubber corners but without the bumpers drilled. That way you have the option to leave them fully metal or add the rubber yourself at a later date.

Looking forward to seeing you and your car at some event in 2020!

All the best,
Ali

Ps. Don’t believe what others are saying, everyone knows that the coolest Zs are dark metallic blue [emoji13]

Duncan Scott

Club Member
Why don’t you try Romas for the dash as I think he was bulk buying off them as well.

......and welcome.

Sorry just read again maybe Romas is their European distributor?
Yes, Romas is the European Distributor - he has been very quick to reply and helpful

Duncan Scott

Club Member
Hello Duncan and welcome!!

That looks like a lovely car and I recall the story about the joy riders from across the pond.

You are lucky to have an LHD car as at least you are able to buy remanufactured dashboards. Also the early 260 is very similar in many ways to the 240, but the late 260 (1977-78) has quite a few subtle differences under the skin.

I know that the 260 dash has different mounting points to the 240’s but not sure if the early 260 has the same ones as the 240. So check what you are buying fits before you spend money.

Buy the bumpers with the rubber corners but without the bumpers drilled. That way you have the option to leave them fully metal or add the rubber yourself at a later date.

Looking forward to seeing you and your car at some event in 2020!

All the best,
Ali

Ps. Don’t believe what others are saying, everyone knows that the coolest Zs are dark metallic blue [emoji13]
Ali - I’m not going to get drawn in to the coolest colour debate!? Thanks very much for your advice on dashes and bumpers. So for the dash, it seems as if I should check whether the 260 replacement will work for a 6/74 car, or whether a 240 might be the one.
Thanks again - I’m really glad I joined

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
You’re most welcome and good luck. Roma’s should know his stuff on this front as he has imported many cars from the US and taken them apart / restored etc.

BTW joking apart the orange colour is ultra cool. [emoji106]