New bumper question (front and back) - with or without the rubber strips?

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Hi folks,

I'm about to accept i just need to replace my bumper to that of a '70 - '72 car. I'll be ordering these from Harringtons. I need to decide whether or not to go for Chrome only, or the original style with the rubber inserts at the corners. I am leaning towards the original look with the rubber inserts.

Welcome peoples thoughts on this though as I remain undecided?

Regards, Graeme

Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 13.31.01.jpg Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 13.28.10.jpg Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 13.30.23.jpg Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 13.30.32.jpg

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Rubber looks better imo but it can deteriorate. I think MaximG had that happen.

ZedzDead

Club Member
Question for those fitting bumperautomobile bumpers what did you do for irons / hardware, as obviously the wardrobe bumper hardware wont be much use ?

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Did you go any further with this Graeme ?
I see pictures but no listing without rubber inserts

Yes, I got them. Look great. No complaints. Good service from the company.

5bef3cd6cd9ac961b80b29e9cf0a79a2.file

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Question for those fitting bumperautomobile bumpers what did you do for irons / hardware, as obviously the wardrobe bumper hardware wont be much use ?

I got new brackets for front and back from Mike F. My car is a ‘73 US import. The front went on very easily. The rear takes a bit of tinkering to fit right.

ZedzDead

Club Member
I got new brackets for front and back from Mike F. My car is a ‘73 US import. The front went on very easily. The rear takes a bit of tinkering to fit right.

Thanks Graeme, I'm kind of new to the Z scene, can I ask who Mike F is please ? my car is also a US import.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
http://mjpshop.co.uk/

Always best to call / email him. He has lots more stock than is on his website.

So you’ll have the big chunky brackets that connect to the lower chassis. The new 70 - 73 bumpers without spacer will have a smaller bracket which connects either side of the radiator - you’ll have the connections.

ZedzDead

Club Member
http://mjpshop.co.uk/

Always best to call / email him. He has lots more stock than is on his website.

So you’ll have the big chunky brackets that connect to the lower chassis. The new 70 - 73 bumpers without spacer will have a smaller bracket which connects either side of the radiator - you’ll have the connections.

Superb thanks for the info Graeme

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
For my money, if I did it again I would buy them with rubber bumpers but not drilled for fitting them. That way you can decide.

I’ve found that the 40 year old rubber lasted better than the modern remakes.

ZedzDead

Club Member
Paid for bumpers 19th Jan received door to door 27th Jan, pretty good service I'd say !

Be a few weeks before I have trial fit but quality looks good so far . :)