New 280z owner

Nik

Club Member
Wanted to introduce myself.

Recently bought this 280z from John from the classifieds on this site. I have wanted an S30 for a while, so super excited to have found this one.

Since getting it home I have only given it a clean and removed the 280 bumpers. Although the rear gas struts are still on as I think I'll need to drop the tank and the exhaust before I can remove them?

Planning to fit a new coil, battery, spark plugs and change the petrol and oil and see if it starts up ok, is there anything else I should do first to a car that might have sat for a little while? (it doesn't look like it has sat for too long)

There are a few welding bits that need doing, floors/battery area, little bit under the spare tire and possibly dog leg, but the rest is in really nice condition. Looking to do a RHD conversion at some point (have started collecting parts).

I'm based in the Southampton area.

Nik

Attachments

• 280z.jpg
    280z.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Hi and welcome.

You're going to do a RHD conversion on a 280Z ?
Has that been done before ?

Obviously leads and dizzy cap, fuel filters etc - should work - it's a Nissan.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Good luck Nick and welcome to the club.

Plenty of people driving left hookers in the UK... just saying.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Yes, one here in fact - driven many LHD cars down the years, never a problem. My daily driver Dodge truck was LHD too ...

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Definitely change oil and petrol and fuel and oil filters. Plugs and distributor cap are cheap enough too so why not. Before you try to fire it up put 10cc engine oil down each plug hole 24hrs before. Then take the cam cover off and pour oil on the cam. crank it over until you've got oil coming out of the cam lobes. Put the cam cover back on and try to fire it up.

Nik

Club Member
Thanks for the welcome and advice, will give it a try once I've got the parts I need. I had forgotten about the fuel filter and I hadn't thought about the distributer cap. I think someone might have changed the leads at some point as they are orange, should I still put new ones in? -Will update on here how it goes.
I'm not 100% sure on the RHD, I might keep it LHD if I can get used to it, figured I can always sell the parts on if I don't go through with it.

Wanted to ask, would the Varta Blue E24 battery be a good choice?

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/car-batteries/varta-e24.html#productCollateralTabs3

Last edited:

uk66fastback

Club Member
I think that battery would be okay ... check on Tanya’s site for a comparison price wise maybe ... does your car have the original hold-down frame. If so, check the size of the battery is compatible.

Nik

Club Member
There isn't a frame there, but there is a plastic tray which I'm guessing sits on top of the frame. Will check before ordering.

johnymd

Club Member
Glad to see you've started a thread Nik. Looking forward to seeing the progress. I may have a LHD battery tray as I took the one off my 280z. Couldn't find it before you picked the car up but not I'm back to full health I'll have another look. I never got the chance to check the car over before selling but I think it's just the coil that's missing. I'm not sure what type of coils the 280z had so maybe someone else could chime in.

johnymd

Club Member
Sean - Have you not seen my RHD 280z. I brought it along to Le Mans.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    444 KB · Views: 19

toopy

Club Member

I bought that battery a few years back, it was slightly too tall, literally by a few mm, so i couldn't use the OEM hold down bracket, but i'm sure its different on the 280z anyways, so may have more adjustment. It's more than powerful enough to easily spin the 6 cylinders.

And given that your car is injection, i would take off and check/clean, as many of fuel hoses/pipes as practical, also any electrical connectors/plugs for corrosion on the pins :)

uk66fastback

Club Member
Have a look at this ebay link ...

It shows the tray which goes under the battery, and the hold down frame which bolts to the bulkhead with one bolt (and a squarish rubber washer/spacer) ... the J rod is at the front side of the car and holds the frame to the battery tray (the metal bit attached to the car) - not the plastic bit in the ebay ad which sits ON that metal tray and on which the battery itself, sits.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Datsun-Nissa...-Down-Frame-Bracket-With-Bolt-Tray/1849398731

If you haven't got the bracket it's not a problem but the taller the battery of course, the less room between the battery post and the hinged access door.

This was the one I bought from Tayna ... (except mine was the 85AH one which I can't find any more on their site) - the size is great IF you're using the frame to keep it in position. If not, then the size is of less importance obviously.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/enduroline/069/

Last edited:

Nik

Club Member
John - your 280z looks brilliant!
Have just ordered the spark plugs, coil and filters (fuel, oil, air and the crankcase breather element -it was cheap so thought it can't hurt to change that also), from Rock Auto. I will order the Tanya battery, thanks for the recommendation Mike. Planning to get some ignition leads from mrretroleads, just waiting to hear back if the 240/260 ones will work with the 280. I'll post up a thread with some pictures when I get a chance. Thanks everyone for the advice.

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
I have quite a few LHD inc the 280 and I personally wouldn't have it any other way.

I actually prefer LHD, besides, it's great for kerb crawling ;(

TimW

Club Member
Hi Nik,

Welcome to the Club. You'll find plenty of help from peeps here and there are quite a few events and meets throughout the year which are great.

Good luck with all, shut lines look brilliant!

Good price battery and stay there Mike, think I'll get me one..:thumbs:

Nik

Club Member
Hi Nik,

Welcome to the Club. You'll find plenty of help from peeps here and there are quite a few events and meets throughout the year which are great.

Good luck with all, shut lines look brilliant!

Good price battery and stay there Mike, think I'll get me one..:thumbs:
Thanks. Yeah its got really good lines all over.