new 240z owner

lloyd

Forum User
Hi everyone, just thought I would introduce myself.

Iam the proud owner of a 1973 Datsun 240z that I imported from a company in Holland who in turn had Imported it from California, so luckily no rust (hopefully)

The car is in good running condition and seems to be pretty original as well, just about to start the whole process of getting it UK registered, so any information regarding that and of getting an age related certificate would be most appreciated :)

I cant wait to drive it and get more involved with the club, thanks, Lloyd

Attachments

• thumbnail_11408333-1.jpg
    thumbnail_11408333-1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 90
  • thumbnail_11408333-2.jpg
    thumbnail_11408333-2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 88
  • thumbnail_11408333-3.jpg
    thumbnail_11408333-3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 83
  • thumbnail_11408333-4.jpg
    thumbnail_11408333-4.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 80
  • thumbnail_11408333-6.jpg
    thumbnail_11408333-6.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 84
  • thumbnail_11408333-8.jpg
    thumbnail_11408333-8.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 69
  • thumbnail_11408333-10.jpg
    thumbnail_11408333-10.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 70

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
Welcome :)
Nice looking Z you have, enjoy :driving:

Hopefully meet you & your car at an event this year :thumbs:

lloyd

Forum User
Thanks guys, hope to meet up at an event in the summer, just have to jump threw all of DVLAs hoops first :)

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Welcome Lloyd.

Next thing you need to do after registration is ditch those awful US emission spec. flat top carbs for a pair of earlier Hitachi SU or triple Webers etc........ then it may have a sporting chance of performing something like a proper period classic should ;)

ps. Best colour UKFB66 ?
It's not another 918 you know if you are angling down that route.
Looks more like red to me, possibly 110 Persimmon although repaint red often has poetic licence.

johnymd

Club Member
Registration easy. MOT it, insure it, send of v55 form and £55. Couple of weeks later you have a reg number. No tax to pay.

Looks nice in the pics.

uk66fastback

Club Member
I think you’re right Chris. Looks a bit too red to be 918.

Edit: It's not 918 orange - it's 110 like mine ... so as you were :D

Although it doesn't look as orange as mine does in those pics.

Last edited by a moderator:

lloyd

Forum User
Thanks guys, It does looks red in the pictures but in person it looks more orange, it went in for an MOT so I could see what it would fail on and they put it down as Orange on the paperwork, its a nice colour anyway.

If only it were that easy, I have to get proof of vehicle approval and the original foreign registration certificate to show when the vehicle was manufactured. As I don't have this they will accept a letter from a club which is something I need to look into.:unsure:

uk66fastback

Club Member
Was it ever registered in Europe? Probably not as it came from a dealer. You want the US title for sure and then whatever the Dutch equivalent of the NOVA forms are I reckon.

Then an MoT.

I don't think the car is originally a Cali car as it would have blue plates - I think those plates are similar to a Mustang I once owned, a car which came to CA from another state.

Saccy will know more on that though ...

lloyd

Forum User
Yeah I've read threw it thanks, it was never registered in Europe but I do have the USA certificate of title tho I was unsure if it was enough to satisfy the dvla as proof of the year it was manufactured.
It has to have a Basic IVA aswell which involves a visual inspection and other tests to make sure the vehicle meets the necessary standards.

lloyd

Forum User
Oh really ? I thought it did, on the gov.uk site it says if you are importing a car into the UK it has to have one.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
You don’t need anything other than MOT, original US title doc and proof Import VAT has been paid in the EU for the DVLA registration.

The US title will have a date of first registration on it which the DVLA will use to allocate correct suffix. Most US titles only have a year and no month or day of reg.
Yours should be 1973 looking at those flat top carbs.

If this is correct then just put 1/1/73 as date of first reg. on the V55/5 form.
You will then be allocated period correct L reg suffix.

lloyd

Forum User
Great thanks for the information, that would certainly make it much easier to register. Tho it is odd that it says it needs an IVA ? I suppose ill send it off without on and see what they say :)
Also does anyone know where a good source for bulbs are ?

thanks.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Bulbs ? Same place you got the car, believe the Dutch do a good line in bulbs :D

You will need 7 inch rhd headlamps with the sidelights incorporated for the MOT which you can get on eBay, loads of sellers, Wipac good enough brand, pay £20/25. Minimine are a reliable seller.