Need help on engine choice for my restoration

Tyree

Active Forum User
Hi All

Been a really long time since I've posted in here, but I really need help.

I have a right hand drive JDM Nissan Fairlady Z, with an original 2ltr fuel injected (L20E) engine with matching numbers.

The question is, whether this is a desirable engine to have in the car, or do I bin off its 130bhp originality and go for something like a 5ltr mercades engine.

Any thoughts or discussion would be truly appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

Farmer42

Club Member
I'm with Franky. Keep it as original as you can. The L20E is a rare beast in a Zed

I have a JDM Fairlady Z 2+2 but had the L20A in mine with twin 1.5 inch SUs. It didn't give me anywhere near 130bhp so I swapped it out for an L26 but spent a long time to decide on whether to go with originality or better power & driving experience. Opted to go middle of the road by increasing the engine size in the L-series. If my L20 was fuel injected I would probably have kept it.

If you want more power keep the injection system and go for a L28. Alternatively, you might be able to bore out to 2.4litres thus keeping the matching numbers.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
...or do I bin off its 130bhp originality and go for something like a 5ltr mercades engine.

Up-engining to this extent is like pushing over the first domino in a whole stack.

So exhaust(s), transmission, wiring, prop and diff, driveshafts, hubs, brakes, suspension, fuel tank and fuel supply system etc etc and - very probably - some kind of cage structure to stop the bodyshell from trying to turn itself inside out too.

Lot of work, isn't it?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
If you want more power keep the injection system and go for a L28.

L20AE's injection system won't work properly on an L28.

Personally I'd be tempted to keep the original L20AE and build it into something bigger (2.6 litre with a KEW piston kit) and put it on carbs or aftermarket injection.

Tyree

Active Forum User
I'm aware of the amount of work that would be involved in such an engine swap, and thats not much my concern. My primary concern is being aware of its rarity, if its not something which is desirable and is seen as a negative facet to the car then I would be happy to swap it in a heartbeat.
If however that engine configuration is unusual and should be kept on the road, then I need to put my own wants aside and do whats right for the car and the marque.

If I use the original engine then would look to things like porting and fitting a turbo.

Paul Henley

Club Member
Any pics of the car? You could of course sell me the car as it is and use the money to go out and buy an already modified Z :D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Very rare - maybe not the fastest but so what ? There'll always be someone faster and with more money !
The car deserves to be kept stock-ish and frankly I wouldn't even change the Efi - it was an advantage over carbs so why drop it ?

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I'm going to rock the ship here and suggest that you do what you want with 'your' car, if your looking at it from an investment point of view then leaving it as is would be your best option.

However if you want to mix things up then either sell it and modify another car that's not as unique in the UK or alternatively do an engine swap but keep the original so that you can always go back if you want to. Per the above advice though it depends on what you would intend to swap in as to how the chassis would handle the engine/extra power. HTH

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
I'm going to rock the ship here and suggest that you do what you want with 'your' car, if your looking at it from an investment point of view then leaving it as is would be your best option.

However if you want to mix things up then either sell it and modify another car that's not as unique in the UK or alternatively do an engine swap but keep the original so that you can always go back if you want to. Per the above advice though it depends on what you would intend to swap in as to how the chassis would handle the engine/extra power. HTH
I am with Woody on this its your car to do what you want to it

Tyree

Active Forum User
L20AE's injection system won't work properly on an L28.

Personally I'd be tempted to keep the original L20AE and build it into something bigger (2.6 litre with a KEW piston kit) and put it on carbs or aftermarket injection.

What’s a KEW piston kit?

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
How do you feel about 'Listed Buildings' ?

Don't forget these are now being classed as 'vehicles of historic interest' and as such are allowed to be driven tax free and no MoT.

I actually quite like the idea of them.

Whilst I acknowledge your points we’re still taking about a mass produced cars which overall were produced in the hundreds of thousands. We’re not talking about some super rare production vehicle that is arguably priceless, even if that was the case I’m still firmly of the believe that it’s down to the owner what they do with their car. Hot Roding/Modifying has been going on for a long time and won’t stop, if it makes the owner happy then good for them. I don’t approve of a lot of modification that people do however its their car/build and I can respect that.

datsfun

Club Member
How do you feel about 'Listed Buildings' ?

Don't forget these are now being classed as 'vehicles of historic interest' and as such are allowed to be driven tax free and no MoT.

That's why you retain the facade of said buildings and gut out the interior.

Same logic here. :smash:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
That's why you retain the facade of said buildings and gut out the interior.

Same logic here. :smash:

'Listing is not a preservation order, preventing change. It does not freeze a building in time, it simply means that listed building consent must be applied for in order to make any changes to that building which might affect its special interest.'

So you have to apply to the Z Club for permission to change the engine (which is of special interest). :lol:

Joking apart - it's your car and you asked for comment, you decide.

candy red

Club Member
Don't get me started on listed building Rob our barn is listed can't have a brick chimney but can have a big stainless steel exhaust sticking out the roof :cuss::mad: Rant over your car do as you want but remember its a rare classic but its your rare classic ;)

Derrick :unsure: