Need help choosing colour!

CPLGDR

Forum User
OK so I posted a while back looking for a 280ZX, and I have found one (someone found the post and contacted me). He says the paint job is dead (from the pics I believe him =P)... anyway blah blah blah forget every other detail but: what colour should I have it resprayed in?

It's currently in that orange, or I believe Datsun refers to it as 'Gold', but you know the one.

I've come to these conclusions, right:

• Red would look too much like an 'old ferrari' or a 'wannabe ferrari', and red has that habit of turning pink in the sun
  • Silver is far too dull and common
  • Black looks great - but doesn't really show of the unique styling of the car, and is hard to keep clean
  • White looks good while it is clean, but dull-white paint looks awful, and also it'd look too much like a ford transit :rolleyes:
Soooo... I was quite liking this http://www.datsunrestore.com/images/mvc-134f.jpg. Is that so wrong? And http://www.auto-active.co.uk/images/gallery/4.jpg and http://www.auto-active.co.uk/images/sales/pak217m_1_large.jpg looks pretty good. Anyone got any outside suggestions? I'm kind of getting ahead of myself worrying about paint, but it's something that's fun

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
What colour interior will you have?
The black and silver and blue/silver two tone schemes are quite nice and I quite like the idea of a nice metallic green!
What about 350Z Orange!:D....

387021_5_full.jpg

My 280ZX is dark wine red metallic, although it did have a two tone paint scheme with the lower bodywork finished in a champagne colour until recently!...It's not my favourite colour, but suits the age of the car.
I suppose it depends whether you want an up to date look or an older retro colour?!

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
Colour choice is always abit of a headache, I sprayed my engine bay black when my car was going to be sprayed imperial Ford blue, but then changed my mind at the last moment and had it spayed Silver, so ended up with a black engine bay for 7 years, now it's back to silver again, after an engine rebuild.
I personally like black, looks good but the body panels need to be very straight to make it look great, white's the most forgiving colour but a bit bland for me, deep blues and heavy metallic reds and in my future projects.
:)

CPLGDR

Forum User
Interior is beige, but... I dunno, I think I'd be willing to amend that too (if possible)

And yeah, maybe a light blue. I kind of find dark colours genuinely just look like black from a distance, and dull at close range.

And Jez - I guess retro is preferable. It's an old car, it should have an old colour. It doesn't have to look 'cool', but I do want the paint to fit the body, if you know what I mean

jay28

Well-Known Forum User
Ill be painting my 260 gunmetal grey next week, I'll be posting pics and can give you the code if you like the color of it.

Jay

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
280's do look good in grey too!....

539429_35_full.jpg

What about kermit green!:eek:....

250green_280zx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
This light metallic blue is nice.......

2931100_0528.JPG

That particular car from the Classifieds has the brown/beige interior too!

2931100_0532.JPG

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Blue and grey is boring and one sees too many of them ! They're 'safe' colours !

If one has a choice, then choose a 'real' colour, not just one because you can't think of anything else !

I feel that a 280 is a car from the metallic era so please bear that in mind ! Don't change the inside colour - a lot of money for not much gain.

Not too lary a colour either - it isn't a '70s sports-car and gold certainly goes out of fashion quickly !

The bronze works well, so does a lighter tint of the same, 'almost' orange.

I feel like you that a lighter colour is best, using the shadows thrown up by the bondy bulges and lines to highlight the sleekness and 'muscles' !

Up to you now !

CPLGDR

Forum User
Hey sean - thanks for the advice. I think you're right, too lary a colour won't look right. When you say bronze, though, which colour do you mean? Do you have a picture of a car with this bronze colour?

Cheers,

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Don't tell me I'm right - no-one else does here and I'll only get big-headed !

Look at the met. brown 240Z in each picture - the sun changes the tint ! Also look at the bronze 260Z in the background of the first picture - something like that only a tad darker !

I don't like 'red' but the burgundy works well inthe 3rd photo - either the Z or maybe even the tint of the Porsche !

CPLGDR

Forum User
Rofl, OK I'll be careful.

Yeah, to be honest that brown doesn't really do anything for me, but I do like the burgundy. Still tempted by the idea of champagne, though. Anyone got thoughts / opinions on that?

jay28

Well-Known Forum User
grey boring!! have to disagree there :eek: I love gunmetal grey, I suppose at the end of they it comes down to personal choice, everyone has their own favourit color :thumbs:

CPLGDR

Forum User
lol, yeah. Nah I mean I love Gunmetal grey, my skoda is gunmetal grey, and they look great on Aston Martins, but I want this car to look a bit weird!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Might be your best compromise between silver/gunmetal grey and brown/bronze !

CPLGDR

Forum User
Yeah see I like that colour, I just don't think I could bring myself to pay someone £2K to have a car resprayed to it ; )