NE Scotland newbie

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
Happy Christmas!

Thanks Rob for the access.

I have lusted after a 240z ever since one of my lecturers had one at uni in the early 90s. I had the cash for one for sale via Zfarm in 2004 but i hadnt the space. Roll on another decade and i have the cash and now finally the space!

Been looking for the right car since the summer, there was a nice on Pistonheads i the summer, by the time i had decided to go for it, it was sold.

My car history includes about a dozen old quattros in various guises, an E28 M535i, currently an E46 M3 which has given my my track car fix. Truely wonderful car but as a second car now, I dont use it at all, no sense of occassion. And i have a hankering for a car from my year of birth or older. A 427 Cobra is top of the list but a tad out of my price bracket, but a good 240z isnt.

Lurked around this forum for a long time reading, so finally participating, hopefully help me find the right car for me. I like period/ track/ sprint orientated cars. Huge fan of rebello engines, heard one at the texas speedway earlier in the year.

Vpulsar sold his one before i noticed, if i had know would have had it in a heartbeat, sods law... I had a good chat with Duncan at Z farm a few days ago about cars coming up. Might be something soon... maybe!

Any advice, words of wisdom, wallet denting, gratuitous pictures all welcome!

Erm, thats about it...

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
We used to have a "buyers guide" somewhere with some useful info in it??
Maybe someone more skilled than me will find it for you.
As with all internet car forums you will get all sorts of "advice"... maybe the odd word of wisdom hiding in it. there will be questions about budget. Current values etc etc. The old debate about imports lhd etc etc will all get aired..
The trick is to find the few words of wisdom;)

welcome to the forum BTW and good luck in your quest.:thumbs:

Welcome.

Enjoy the search. Buy the best body you can, look at plenty before you buy, buy a small weak magnet, not a rare earth type that'll stick to a car 3 miles away.

Great choice of car to get.

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
cheers folks!

I have looked at Ztrader in the us as well with the intent of importing, but could i live with a LHD car? If it was a track/race car yes. For a weekend car, pension, investment, enjoyment. I would say no. I have looked at weird german cars in the past which were LHD only and ruled them out for the same reasons. I do have a good friend who has taken back a few cars over the years from the US, and I have that option open to me right now. This appeals, http://zcartrader.com/wp/?auto=72-240z-vintage-scca-its-racecar
or maybe i need two... but i would like a UK/RHD car. I know how thin on the ground they are getting.

I have children, therefore loads of magnets around the house, but good tip!

Unless i have ti wrong, parts do seem to still be quite available, old Audis were terrible as Audi stopped supporting anything older than 15 years old about 2008, thats the point i moved away from them.

Clean chassis and body is an utter must for me, I have made that mistake before.

Smokie, anyone else up here with one? If i may be so bold, I wouldnt mind a look around yours, as its a long trip for me to see things generally.

Last edited by a moderator:

smokie

Well-Known Forum User
cheers folks!

Smokie, anyone else up here with one? If i may be so bold, I wouldnt mind a look around yours, as its a long trip for me to see things generally.

No problem if you want to pop thru sometime to have a look just pm me and we can arrange something. Mines a LHD and currently fitted with a 5.4 chevy (2.8 build in process). Heard rumours of a couple of cars in Kirrie but never seen them. Willie Robertsons old car was in a garage near here .... don't know whats happened to it since he passed away earlier this year.

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
Appreciate that, thanks.

I have seen one at Knockhill before, i was on track at the time, never saw it in the pits or the paddock afterwards...

andrew muir

Club Member
Welcome to the club nice to have another enthusiast north of the Border.
We should all get together sometime with our cars etc!

Yeh Willie Robertsons was a fast Rebello engined car.
I would think it would be a bit too track orientated to take it on the road in its present state?
I don't know what has happend to it?
There is a chap in the Zregister who lives in Kirrie I think he has a few cars, i have been with him to Knockhill a couple of years ago he was in a Samuri at the time.

Finding a rust free example will be difficult, getting a decent example with some work required may be easier and you will be certain that if you do the work it will be done right.

Cheers Andrew

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
Andrew,

Must be the came guy, I know a few folk racing in the SMRC will go ask.

There was an original cobra on track with me on the last SMRC warmup, i was in the M3, and i was utterly left for dead, the noise from it was sublime, spoke to the owner in the pits... its for sale.. oh really. yes, looking for 275,000. OK not in my league! Lovely classic race car though. The 240z i havent seen for a while. 2-3 years since i last saw it.

andrew muir

Club Member
It was last year that I saw it last at Knockhill. Willie sometime used to miss a few races etc. It was going pretty well though, usually 2nd-5th and ocasionally fastest lap.
It would usually beat a couple of 911s.

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
happy new year folks.
I have 'found' two cars, both aroud the 16k mark. One I agreed to look at before xmas which i am stil the most interested and one will be hitting ebay very shortly. Both in the condition i am looking for but one in white which is not my first choice colour for a clean car.

Avenue number two is US cars, hat option is still open to me and given the price of a concourse car over there, and i have found two with rebello engines are cheaper than the UK cars. The ****** is i wont be able to lay my hands o na car until summer/

andrew muir

Club Member
I take it there is no word on Willie's old car?
Only thing with buying from US is that ideally you would want to see it first.:eek:
I don't think lhd is a great issue but US spec bumpers etc are IMO

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
Ah now i have heard the same, collegue of mine is a long time alfa nut and his classics gets tuned at Mike Stewarts place, he has seen the car there. Not for a few years though. Sorry i totally forgot!

Car from the US, the short story is I have a long term friend who is a serial classic car owner, ex automotive lecturer and desginer, i could ask for anyone better to check them out, but distance of travel is a bit of an issue there! I would be looking for perfect from the US, OR considerably cheaper than a UK equivalent.

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
bad news

Official Crail Raceway Page

It is with profound sadness that we must announce that Willie Robertson passed away at his home in Crail, on the 23rd of July 2013. We the staff at Crail Raceway would like to take this opportunity to offer our deepest condolences to Willie’s family at this difficult time. Willie was at heart a petrol head and loved cars and motorsport, he started the Crail Thrash to give all Petrol heads somewhere to go to thrash their cars, as he often said ‘The Crail Thrash was started by Petrol heads for Petrol heads’. For all those who knew Willie, they will remember the fun-loving joker who had a big heart and lived his life the only way he knew FULL THROTTLE.
At the request of the family, Sunday’s event at Crail Raceway will continue as scheduled.

andrew muir

Club Member
bad news

Official Crail Raceway Page

It is with profound sadness that we must announce that Willie Robertson passed away at his home in Crail, on the 23rd of July 2013. We the staff at Crail Raceway would like to take this opportunity to offer our deepest condolences to Willie’s family at this difficult time. Willie was at heart a petrol head and loved cars and motorsport, he started the Crail Thrash to give all Petrol heads somewhere to go to thrash their cars, as he often said ‘The Crail Thrash was started by Petrol heads for Petrol heads’. For all those who knew Willie, they will remember the fun-loving joker who had a big heart and lived his life the only way he knew FULL THROTTLE.
At the request of the family, Sunday’s event at Crail Raceway will continue as scheduled.

I am aware of Willie's sad passing, that is why I have been asking about his old car etc.:(

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
i am not a farcebooker either...
Havent done much lately, my M3 track car is sold, i have a descent budget currently on an entirely dag dag fleet so needing some petrol!

Had a rather 'eventful' few months shall we say so the hunt continues!