Nardi wheels

arcdef

Club Member
Anyone running a Nardi wheel in their Z? How do you find it? Also what boss adapter are you using?

Tempted by this:
Screenshot_20210207-195741_eBay.jpg

Thanks,

arcdef

Club Member
Yeah have measured the standard wheel at 10cm so probably can't get a dished wheel. Struggling find any hubs in the UK though.

Bazzateer

Club Member
I bought a few of the vinyl versions, got one in my Singer Chamois and another waiting to go in my Sunbeam Imp. Got some spare ones which I'll eventually get around to selling.

They're a nice looking wheel.

Ian

Club Member
I went for the flat wheel otherwise its way too close to the driver and too far away from the controls by the time you add in the hub adaptor.

260Z Project - 260Z GT-R

I love the wheel, feels great to drive with. I went for the larger size 360mm as I wanted smaller than stock but not too small to make the steering effort increase too much.

Last edited:

arcdef

Club Member
Well I couldn't find a suitable boss adapter which retained the indicator cancel function and then found a great deal on a MOMO wheel.

Ended up with this beauty: MOMO prototipo

20210210_160059.jpg

Found it new on amazon for £150 and the boss for £70. A much cheaper option than the Nardi or replica Datsun competition wheels.

See if I can fit it after work!

Thanks

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Didn’t realise that Nissan swapped over the indicator stalk from Right to Left in later models , how confusing.

arcdef

Club Member
Mine isn't a genuine RHD, has been converted - not sure if US cars ever had stalks the same as Japan/UK?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Mine isn't a genuine RHD, has been converted - not sure if US cars ever had stalks the same as Japan/UK?

LHD S30-series Z column stalk controls were a mirror image of the RHD layout.

Indicator lever was purposely situated on gear lever side as part of the 'sporting' design ethos. In the RHD version this gives prime control for the largest percentile to the right hand - on the steering wheel - with left hand given the job of operating gear lever, handbrake lever, choke lever, hand throttle and indicator stalk (and 'Flash To Pass' switch), along with others. Rotary column switch for lights and wipers/washers (quite innovative at the time) was judged less frequently used, so situated on right of column.

Ignition barrel was always on the RIGHT side of the column, whether RHD or LHD. The other big ergonomic compromise was that siting of the handbrake lever on the RIGHT side of the tunnel (common in many Japanese cars) which is naturally suited to the RHD configuration. The designers and engineers had wanted to have the handbrake lever on the LEFT side of the column for LHD layout, but it was deemed too expensive to productionise (requiring a mirror-image tunnel pressing and linkage assembly) and that drivers in LHD layout would be able to cope. The only S30-series Zs to get an LHD-specific handbrake lever were the Works rally cars.

Dale

Club Member
Is the indicator stalk not on the ‘opposite’ side to the gear lever, so it is easier to use while your hand is on the steering wheel?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Is the indicator stalk not on the ‘opposite’ side to the gear lever, so it is easier to use while your hand is on the steering wheel?

Yes. Sorry, I didn't explain that very well did I?

Apparently the 'sporty' design ideal was that the indicator stalk could be flicked on and off with right hand still on the steering wheel (by just extending the fingers) whilst being busy steering, and *at the same time* changing up or down gear with your other hand. Kind of the hand version of heel-and-toe if you like...

I must say I've always found it nice to use the controls on these cars and I was lucky to be able to speak to both Matsuo san (Chief Designer) and Uemura san (Chief Engineer) about interior ergonomics on these cars on several occasions. I've always found it a fascinating subject.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Indicator lever was purposely situated on gear lever side as part of the 'sporting' design ethos.

I can't edit the post to correct it now, but - of course - the point is that they put the indicator stalk is on the *opposite* side to the gear lever whether RHD or LHD in order to enable it to be flicked whilst steering and also changing gear.

I've had a few 'other brand' cars where the indicator stalk was on the same side as the gear lever, and it's a PITA.