N42 cam tower problem

Orgreeny

Forum User
Just looking to see if anyone has any ideas i have a n42 head that i have been running over the summer with no issues at all i have taken this head of and fully rebuilt the bottom end and have done a bit of light smoothing and porting of the head. I have just gone to put the new uprated cam in to check it over and it will not fit at all!! I tryed a few other cams i had liying around and they were exactly the same i can get the cam all the way in with it spinning free untill i try and get it in to the last cam tower and it will no were near go in
So i put a strait edge across the bottom of the head and it is strait as an arrow! Now i have NOT removed the cam towers since removing the head so they have not moved
I then removed the cam towers and put a strait edge over the top of the head and it seems to look likr the middle of the head is lower than the two ends!

I cant see how only the top of the head can be warped and the only thing i can see to do is to get the top of tge head skimed then shim the towers

Any thaughts? Thanks

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Have you had any welding on the head, or had it skimmed?
If it’s been skimmed, they may have taken the towers off and put them back in a different order.
If you put the strait edge through the towers instead of the cam, where are the gaps?

Orgreeny

Forum User
No the head has literaly been taken of and the only things i have touched are the ports
But that is a good idea il try putting going throghe the towers thanks

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Another thing to think about would be whether the block deck is straight - maybe if you bolt the head down the cam towers will come into line.