MZR podcast - good chat with Rahail

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I listened to it all through 1hr 10m and found most of it interesting. I would have liked more detail about the cars and the workforce but that may have bored non-Datsun people.

I think Rahail must be more astute than he makes out.

He sounds exactly the same as Jamie Whitham (motorcycle racer now commentator).

AD240Z

Club Member
The link was passed to me by a 911 owning friend - and he enjoyed it. I think with a lot of this type of podcasts , it’s about the conversation rather than content - probably to make it more universally appealing .

I did think Rahail was a bit vague with some of the answers on car specs. - but he is clearly very aware of brand and brand preservation .........

tyroguru

Club Member
It's a good listen and interesting to hear about this business. The MZR website says the base model starts at 109K but Rahail says that if they have to source the base car then the base price is 130K! :) . Yikes. I think they look great though.

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
Say £100/hour labour, for easy counting, that's 1000 hours, 25 weeks.
I listened to it all through 1hr 10m and found most of it interesting. I would have liked more detail about the cars and the workforce but that may have bored non-Datsun people.

I think Rahail must be more astute than he makes out.

He sounds exactly the same as Jamie Whitham (motorcycle racer now commentator).
I have no idea how anyone can turn even a modest profit out of a classic far less make a business out of it.
Should add I'm a bit of a commie and the worlds worst businessman.

It's a good listen and interesting to hear about this business. The MZR website says the base model starts at 109K but Rahail says that if they have to source the base car then the base price is 130K! :) . Yikes. I think they look great though.

Given the zg is still the coolest car there.....

AD240Z

Club Member
Say £100/hour labour, for easy counting, that's 1000 hours, 25 weeks.

I have no idea how anyone can turn even a modest profit out of a classic far less make a business out of it.
Should add I'm a bit of a commie and the worlds worst businessman.

As my pal who linked me the article pointed out last night - look at what you pay for an Alfaholics GTA-r or a Singer 911.

https://www.evo.co.uk/alfa-romeo/18525/alfaholics-gta-r-270-review-re-imagined-icon/page/0/1

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911/13077/porsche-911-reimagined-by-singer-vehicle-design-review

He’s probably in the right ball park ( and no doubt making a few £)

tyroguru

Club Member
As my pal who linked me the article pointed out last night - look at what you pay for an Alfaholics GTA-r or a Singer 911.

https://www.evo.co.uk/alfa-romeo/18525/alfaholics-gta-r-270-review-re-imagined-icon/page/0/1

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911/13077/porsche-911-reimagined-by-singer-vehicle-design-review

I hope he does make some money as it's a great venture. Just watched one of their promo video's and he says that they aim for a car to take somewhere in the order of 1500-2000 hours and even at 150K that can't be a huge amount of margin but I have no understanding of the economics in this area.

There will always be lots of people with lots of money to spend on these kind of things and good luck to them and the businesses they get them from. I'd like to own all the cars listed above but then I'd be into Jay Leno territory and he's got a bigger garage then I have :) .

peter_s

Club Member
I think the value is really good with the MZR. You are getting a beskoke buimt car for around 130k these days. That gets you a Carrera S.

The amount of time they put into these are amazing. In some ways they are a steal. It's an expensive car, but if you put things into perspective it's good value.

I bet few would raise an eyebrows if the hours they spend on this instead were put on home improvement, that would be even more

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User

Rahail is there to turn a profit - he can and does have all the passion* for 240Zs** but first and foremost, he and MZR have to continue existing and that means commissions and profit. There are probably only two factors that might slow him down :

1) much stricter rules on internal-combustion only powered cars .....not likely tomorrow !
2) the drying up supply of clean chassis...as their price goes up so will his, the type of customers he has won't blink at an extra £10k

*but not club spirit - he's a business-man primarily and without a doubt, the family pressure is there for him to succeed

**I'd like to see the entire range of S30s (and why not S31s) in his catalogue

My opinion (for what it's worth to anyone else) on the Alfa is this :

less is obviously more.....I'd have liked to see lightweight (thinner/smaller ?) stainless bumpers front and rear for a road car.
Great body work - maybe an low, air scoop on the bonnet like the Lancia Flaminias' had
Great interior but....stupid rollcage at the rear taking up the 2x seats !!! Should have brought it down each side along the roof and down through the rear parcel shelf to allow occaissonal and short-distance use of the rear seats like a trot to the local country pub - anchor the harness points between the rear pasengers' feet ! Otherwise, why have the seat trim at all - just extra weight - paint it red behind and be done with it.

The Porsche :

Exquisite work of art and as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I find 'faults' :

The dash - the side airvents look tacky plastic and infact, the entire lower trim should have been in black - there are too many sill, fussy dark items springing out of the seat material and the single colour-coded tachometer is enough, just right to add a 'personal' touch.
The roll bar is enough too - much better executed than the Alfa but I would prefer entirely covered seats and not painted metal - looks too bath-house or funfair ride-ish for me.
The rear wheels dished so much give it too much of a hot-rod look, reminding me of that transfored in the film Batchelor Party starring a very young Tom Hanks
The boot-lid latch could have been black like the pedals or chrome...again, the plastic looks cheap even if stock on the factory Porsche.
I love the mirrors mounted on the glass quarter-lights and manually adjusted - old-school.
Perhaps the steering boss is a tad 'chunky'

I'm loving this : https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911/202335/ruf-rodeo-concept-pictures

except the leather trim cut around the hazard warning lights switch.

I don't think Rahail needs 'luck' so best wishes for a long line of cars.......but I'd like to see more imagination and less Singer-inspiration : I respect the quality and amount of work AND homework undertaken but it seems to me (imho) that that homework was more how to do a Singer Z and simply be different than other Z restorers than how best to improve and decorate an S30......so 7/10 with room for improvement......why not even humour fans and consult a bit, to at least reduce the sensation of aloofment ?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I think the value is really good with the MZR. You are getting a beskoke buimt car for around 130k these days. That gets you a Carrera S.

The amount of time they put into these are amazing. In some ways they are a steal. It's an expensive car, but if you put things into perspective it's good value.

Yep, a bargain - maybe they're afraid to charge £250k for just an old Datsun.....?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Rahail will know what he has to charge to make it a business and the customers will dictate if they sell. No point in discussing it really.

If things get 'tight' there are still opportunities with these cars to 'change tack'.

Nice to see an entrepreneur/enthusiast seizing an opportunity and providing employment for skilled engineers.

peter_s

Club Member
What's the point of pointing out that it's not in the club spirit because he makes a profit?

I wish MZR all the best, I hope they will be here for a long time. Love their builds

Mark N

Club Member

That must be Singer's base model at 2013 prices.
This is the top of the range collaboration with Williams at a staggering $1.8m (starting price at the time of publication, which I think was a couple of years ago).

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big-reads/it-911-reimagined-singer-and-williams

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
No point in discussing it really. If things get 'tight' there are still opportunities with these cars to 'change tack'.

C'mon Rob, this is a forum...:rolleyes:

And my point is go out and create a market demand.....not wait until your slowly sliding down a spit-pole as per Samuri....