My blue '73 240Z

monkeymagic86

Active Forum User
So, this is gonna be quite a long post, but I'll just start with the last 3 months of ownership of this caugur.
No idea why I haven't started a topic on this great forum yet. I even found quite an old for sale ad of my car on this forum ;)
At the 25th of august a longtime dream came true. I often wrote on my blog http://monkeymagic86.wordpress.com "one day I will own...". I do fantasize about a S30 for at least 10 years now. And the august 25th was the day, I got myself a Datsun 240Z. It was imported from the US to Europe in 2011. It is a 1973 model, and I love it!
Car came from Chesapeake VA. Was then imported to Belgium, and now it lives in Luxembourg.
chimay1.jpg

On the second try I managed to pass technical inspections and got the car registered. Thanks again Eric for borrowing me the stock-ish wheels.
Instantly did a tune up (spark plugs and wires; distributor cap, finger, points and condensator; ignition coil and ballast; fuel pump). Soon I will get the carb setted again. And then it's a go for modding and restoring piece after peice. Think i will start by optimizing and restoring the interior and modding the suspension.
8-snct1200.jpg

And 2 pics from cars and coffee this weekend. I love driving this car. And I try to do it as much as possible to find as much weak points as possible. So I know what to change, modify, make better this winter.
wpid-wp-1443432940137.jpg

wpid-wp-1443432939823.jpg

This winter I'll do my best to restore the interior and the suspension to where I want it. Than drive it next spring to autumn and do the engine/gearbox the following winter.
Interior will be reconverted to as stock-ish as possible, exept some retro bucket seats, so I don't get thrown out of the stock seats while havig fun on the curvy roads around here. And so the headrest actually reaches my head (6ft5) :) Got the same seats in my trackday Alfa-Romeo and I just love em.
As my first order for the Datsun has arrived at my doorstep I did some tune up and refresh:
wpid-wp-1444332935994-e1444380341935.jpg

Few days later the delivery guy showed up again. Got a real large box from MSA, have to wait for the Tax receipt, but yeah, here you go. Ordered lots of rubbers, bushings, ... But most important, some parts to refresh the interior:
wpid-wp-1445845956278.jpg

Shortly after this delivery I got another box, from JAPAN. Freakin new driver side doorpanel. YEAH! Bought this on yahoo auctions for "only" 27000Yen or 225US$

wpid-wp-1445967581339.jpg

As winter is approaching here in Europe, I decided to do a last ride for 2015 and started working:
wpid-wp-1445845968077.jpg

wpid-wp-1445845948933.jpg

And here is a pic from yesterday, after several hours i finally removed all that tar $^!# from the interior. Floors, tunnel and boot. Check back for updates ;)
Next step, removing surface rust. Rust treatment, primer and new paint.
wpid-wp-14465839190161.jpg

Boot is done.
wpid-wp-14470126427231.jpg

Removed all the sound deadening mats, mechanically treated the rust, chemically treated the surface against all rust with 'Kovermi', primered and painted with 'Brantho Korrux'.

wpid-wp-1447140269173-e1447140814209.jpg

wpid-wp-1447140446919-e1447140788600.jpg

So, while I’m waiting a few days for the interior paint to dry completely before applying the second layer I used some spare time to disassemble the car a bit more. So I hung up the engine in the bay and removed the complete front axle including the engine subframe,…
Plans for these parts: clean up, rust treatment, repaint them. Buying coilovers, welding up the struts, new bushings, lower inner camber bushes. Then remount everything to the car.
Oh and btw I have the same plan for the rear axle ;)
wpid-wp-1447273767499.jpg

And after removing the front axle, I removed the rear axle, at least parts of it. So here is the rear suspension out.
wpid-wp-1447396955383-e1447426950805.jpg

Had quite an OMG moment when I undid the rear drive shaft from the stub axle on the passenger side. The big nut wich holds the stub axle in place just fell on the floor once I unbolted the drive shaft. And it had the threaded portion of the stub axle in it. So it was broken for quite some time. Lucky me the drive shaft didn’t came lose or the car did not loose a wheel.
wpid-wp-1447396955374.jpg

After the paint had dried I started rebuilding the interior layer by layer.
Sound deadening:

wpid-wp-1448264255143-e1448520385778.jpg

Some more insulation and some new vinyl from MSA:
wpid-wp-14482642551411.jpg

Oh and I rebuilt the drivers side door with a brand spanking new NOS door card ;)
wpid-wp-14482642551381.jpg

I did some of the boring and time consuming stuff, like changing all the heater hoses, greasing choke cables, sorting and removing all sorts of wires from all the previous owners (what a mess). Redid a blower motor loom as mine was butchered,...
I also changed the inner glovebox for a new part from MSA. I really think this part was never meant to be changed without removing the dash, what a PITA!
Some refreshening of the blower motor:
wp-1449819248244-e1449819374622.jpg

Same for the steering:
wp-1449819638655-e1449819702415.jpg

monkeymagic86

Active Forum User
And here come the last 3 pics (25pic rule)

Replaced this leaky bastard:
wp-1449819638654-e1449819841810.jpg

And my BC Racings showed up. Welded them to the spindles already. New balljoints and tie rods are in to. And all 8 wheel bearings will be replaced, I prepare myself for a day full of pain and shouting with the hammer, press,...
wp-1449819318086-e1449819434481.jpg
wp-1449819286956-e1449819416308.jpg

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Bonjour Jean-Pierre.

I wish you all the fun and pleasure that your car will surely reward you with for all the attention you spend upon her.

A Spa 2016 ?

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Jean-Pierre

Thats a nice looking car a detailed rebuild and it looks like you are enjoying every minute of it.....bon chance.

monkeymagic86

Active Forum User
WTF is Jean-Pierre?? There is no Jean-Pierre in this thread :rofl:

Yes I know, it's the previous owner. My name is Bob btw. But thanks for the nice comments. And yes, I usually love working on my cars as much as I love driving them, but only if working on them is voluntary. I hate it when they fail and let me stranded at the side of the road in the middle of a rainy night. ;)

@Sean, I don't know yet if I'll come to Spa, even though it's only about 90mins drive from my home. I'm to anxious of you shouting at me, as I know how much you hate blue S30's :p

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
WTF is Jean-Pierre?? There is no Jean-Pierre in this thread :rofl:

Yes I know, it's the previous owner. My name is Bob btw. But thanks for the nice comments. And yes, I usually love working on my cars as much as I love driving them, but only if working on them is voluntary. I hate it when they fail and let me stranded at the side of the road in the middle of a rainy night. ;)

@Sean, I don't know yet if I'll come to Spa, even though it's only about 90mins drive from my home. I'm to anxious of you shouting at me, as I know how much you hate blue S30's :p

OK keep your frillies on Bob :thumbs:, I was only following the lead of Mr Dezart who appeared to know you.....:lol:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
That's awesome work!!!! And what a lovely looking car!!

Question for the sake of my education - has the under driver seat cross member been cut or is that how it is supposed to be as standard?

1a8a8c23f116a6d71180a967916b61f4.jpg

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Jean-Pierre (pardon) was the previous owner, a big lad who used this Z as a back-up to his rally 240Z and therefore cut down the seat support to allow the use of a helmet....at least I think that was the theory.

Bob in a blue Z.....:cool:

monkeymagic86

Active Forum User
Thanks for the kind words.
As for the seat mount, it is not standard an was cut out by a previous owner. It was not done by JeanPierre as this car never had bucket seats and was only used on the recreational sort of rallies. The navigation and tripmaster kind of stuff.
By the 4 tiny screw holes under the seat and an old non-stock power wire I found under the carpet, I do believe this was done to place a CD-Changer under the seat :-O But it's just a guess

monkeymagic86

Active Forum User
And I picked up the first batch of parts from mediablasting and powdercoating. Such clean parts just give me so much motivation to continue the work :)
wp-1450421371533-e1450421501855.jpg

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
As for the seat mount, it is not standard an was cut out by a previous owner. It was not done by JeanPierre as this car never had bucket seats and was only used on the recreational sort of rallies. The navigation and tripmaster kind of stuff.

By the 4 tiny screw holes under the seat and an old non-stock power wire I found under the carpet, I do believe this was done to place a CD-Changer under the seat :-O But it's just a guess

Wow! Now that is an extreme solution to a simple problem!!! So the thing I'm wondering is if it affects your structural rigidity / side impact safety and if now is the time to weld something there while it's all in bits - do you have any plans / thoughts on this one?

Parts looking very nice dude! Always very satisfying to physically see the items progressing on your car! Of course you do realise you now need to buy the special jet wash attachment to clean the underside of your car! ;)

http://youtu.be/jJLhyw_jjcw

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php..._medium=base&gclid=CP2y-Ja15ckCFRcYGwodG7cFNQ

Loving your work to date. :thumbs: Keep the updates coming.

All the best,
Ali

monkeymagic86

Active Forum User
Just a small update today. Didn't find as much time as I would have liked over christmas. So during my only "free" afternoon I replaced all 8 wheel bearings. Having the parts unmounted, having a shop press and a serious bearing puller made this job quite OK-ish. You are just covered up in grease all the time. That's why there aren't that many photos.
wp-1451285528143.jpg

monkeymagic86

Active Forum User
And some more progress. Welded the coilovers and reassembled the rear brakes with all new parts
wp-1449819248245-e1449819359420.jpg

wp-1451420001362.jpg

Rear suspension ready to go back in:
wp-1453128871307-e1453129169348.jpg

And just when I started to reinstall the front axle I found a little rust bubble in the drivers side wheel well where the engine crossmember attaches. So I decided to scrub both front wheel wells back to bare metal and cure them. 2 small rust spots on the drivers side and another one on the passenger side were welded. (Thanks Pentti)
Then I applied some rust converter on the complete area, primered and painted it with Brantho Korrux, applied some transparent undercoating and sprayed some waxoil in the cavities of the front frame.
wp-1453711740979.jpg

Front and rear axle parts are now back on the car. Still have so many little things to do before the car will be off from the jackstands. This week I'll finish the interior. Passenger bucket seat, Radio block off plate,... and I'll change the brake fluid, coolant, oil&filters,...
Next week I'll hopefully get my wheels back from painting so I'll be able to get the car on the lift and do a basic geometry

SacCyclone

Club Member
Great pictures for us to follow along. Do you know how much negative camber you are going to run in the front and rears? This is a street car build with some track days planned?