My 260+2 Build

Grizzlygriz

Club Member
Evening Ladies & Gents

I bought my 260 4+ years ago. Came as a complete car. Over time I have taken bits off in the hope that eventually it will make its way to a body shop to get repaired and back to me so we can start the bolt on process.

I will add the photos below. You will see it is EXTREMELY rusty. I simply cant scrap it and want to get this back on the road. The amount of people that have said they have scrapped better cars, it makes me sad.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. It is my first build i have ever done. And boy, what a hard one to start with.

Hopefully soon i will be able to update you all with where its going.
at the minute the only plans that i have for it is a VQ35HR. Coming from the 350z. I'm unsure on most of the other stuff. Yet again, any advice would be great.

Ciao.

Grizzlygriz

Club Member
Heres the beaut so far..

Attachments

• Datsun.jpg
    Datsun.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 46
  • datsun1.jpg
    datsun1.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 41
  • datsun2.jpg
    datsun2.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 42
  • datsun3.jpg
    datsun3.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 41
  • datsun7.jpg
    datsun7.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 39
  • datsun6.jpg
    datsun6.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 41
  • datsun5.jpg
    datsun5.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 40
  • datsun4.jpg
    datsun4.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 42
  • datsun8.jpg
    datsun8.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 41
  • datsun9.jpg
    datsun9.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 41

Grizzlygriz

Club Member

Attachments

• datsun10.jpg
    datsun10.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 31
  • datsun11.jpg
    datsun11.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 31
  • datsun13.jpg
    datsun13.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 29
  • datsun12.jpg
    datsun12.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 31

240Z Man

Well-Known Forum User
Hello I don't like telling people how to do their projects, but I feel like I must enlighten you to try and save you money. I class myself as having good skills and I have rebuilt many cars over the years, but looking at what you have there I wouldn't even attempt it. It'll be the biggest money Pitt you'll ever have. Not all is lost - the parts you need to keep, is all the right hand conversions, firewall, dash, and pedal box. Which are worth more then what you are trying to rebuild. The car is a 2+2 its never going to be of high value. I am sure there are a lot of people on this forum who will agree with me. Scrap the car, keep the parts and import a good shell from America, making sure its a standard 240 without the rear seats as this will add value straight away and convert it to right hand drive. This will save you years of heartache.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grizzlygriz

Club Member
Hello I don't like telling people how to do their projects, but I feel like I must enlighten you to try and save you money. I class myself as having good skills and I have rebuilt many cars over the years, but looking at what you have there I wouldn't even attempt it. It'll be the biggest money Pitt you'll ever have. Not all is lost - the parts you need to keep, is all the right hand conversions, firewall, dash, and pedal box. Which are worth more then what you are trying to rebuild. The car is a 2+2 its never going to be of high value. I am sure there are a lot of people on this forum who will agree with me. Scrap the car, keep the parts and import a good shell from America, making sure its a standard 240 without the rear seats as this will add value straight away and convert it to right hand drive. This will save you years of heartache.

Hi 240man

Thank you for the reply.
Unfortunately I would have to agree with you. More and more people will tell me the same thing. I'm currently trying to get a 240 from the US and do as you explained.

Thanks for the guidance.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I agree with 240Z Man in that the car is not worth the time and expense to restore however why import a 240Z to transfer parts from a 260Z?

Also I'm not aware of an 240 2/2 cars.

Try to find a 260 to import and even a 260 2/2 if the body is very good and the price is right.

SacCyclone

Club Member
In the States the 260 is pretty rare as it was made in 1974 only for the US market. Not to say that it is in demand, just not many around. The 260 2+2 is the same problem and the 2+2 version is even more rare and less desired. Least expensive way to go is a 280 from the states, 1975 to 1978. A non running auto trans car will be the least money and there are many chaps chasing those here in the states....nothing is cheap anymore.
Mike

toopy

Club Member
Mine was bad, maybe not quite as bad as yours, but i had the same its not worth it, it's just a 2+2! shpeel from just about everyone.

Pretty much anything is repairable if you have the time and skills and/or money to pay someone else. But sadly i would have to agree, that even though good 2+2's are worth a lot more these days, they will always be the black sheep of the family and thus valued far less than they should be.... it the rarest Z by some margin after all, especially genuine UK RHD examples..

There are a lot more repair panels available these days, but as always the 2+2 is let left wanting in that regard for anything rearward of the windscreen!

If you really want a 2+2 as I did, and you are rich! or can do a lot yourself, then why the hell not, but if you bought it just as a cheaper way into Z ownership, then your doomed to failure Im afraid, as it will cost you far more and be worth far less :confused:

Mine was restored over 15 years ago, and it's only in the last year or so, that it's actually worth now what i spent on it then, not including most of what Ive bought here and there for it since!!

Attachments

• 260z01.jpg
    260z01.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 36
  • 260z03.jpg
    260z03.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 260z05.jpg
    260z05.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 33
  • 260z07.jpg
    260z07.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 260z10.jpg
    260z10.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 260z13.jpg
    260z13.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Zfrontview.jpg
    Zfrontview.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Zleftchassis.jpg
    Zleftchassis.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Zrightfloorpan.jpg
    Zrightfloorpan.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    551.9 KB · Views: 32

status

Well-Known Forum User
Toopy your right about black sheep of the family and as I said you’ve probably confirmed about rarest of Zeds but I reckon they look the nuts when lowered a tad and a decent set of boots on em,there are a few around that I know of just like a few 240 s round my area that we don’t see as not club members,there are quite a few that we don’t know about,I’ve been sniffing around a 240 near me for years but he just wont sell it,I’d say get a 2+2 cos they do look good when done up

hedgehogdodger

Well-Known Forum User
Very few 260 2/2 people always say the prices are lower and i agree however a 240 in this condition would be out of reach of alot of buyers.