mustache bar confusion

highway star

Well-Known Forum User
I removed the mustache bar over the weekend in order to replace the rubber bushings with some urethane ones. the bar was in a shocking condition with the retained outer metal part of the bushing severely corroded and i'm gonna have to scrap it the bar. however i think i have the wrong bar fitted. I have a 74 260Z and according to MSA website i should have a curved bar, but (although it's a little twisted) it looks like the straight bar from a 70/71 240Z. So, does that mean i have the wrong diff ? Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• 100_0956.JPG
    100_0956.JPG
    343.9 KB · Views: 72

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
It looks different to mine - mine's a mid 74 260z, and here's what it looks like.
I think mine would never sit like yours on a desk like that because of the curve in the vertical plane.

IMG_1032.jpeg
IMG_1027.jpeg

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
It can not be wrong if it was fitted before.what diff is fitted

highway star

Well-Known Forum User
dont know which diff it is but I think i've been getting confused by looking on a US website which may have different type's than Euro one's. according to MSA it should have had a substantial curve possibly for a longer diff. which made me think the diff may be wrong. spoke to Pmac and may have it sorted now. On a different note, is their a factory service manual available for Euro markets? US versions pop up on Ebay and there's an Australian version available on CD rom, but how much is applicable?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I don't think the service manuals are territory specific - certainly the ones I have cover us/aus/eur markets etc

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Better to look at the rear cover of the diff rather than trying to work it out from the mustache bar!

uu8ap.jpg

(pic borrowed from google)

afaik, the r180 bar can't be fitted to an r200 due to the holes for the studs in the diff rear cover being different sizes.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
74 260z should be R200 right? unless it's an auto perhaps?
mine is deffo R200.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
This picture might help too. Note the way the bar comes off the rubber mounting at each end i.e. it's different for the R180 compared to the R200. From memory I think the Haynes and Autobooks can be confusing here because they show the 260Z with an R180 only. I managed to fit my bar wrongly when I first upgraded to a R200 because I looked at one of these manuals for the orientation of the bar - no wonder it was a bitch to fit (and then I had to take it off swap it around!).
attachment.php

Attachments

• diffcomparefrontA.jpg
    diffcomparefrontA.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited by a moderator: