MSA 6 - 2 exhaust manifold drops too low

RawlinSTR

Club Member
Hi all,

I've got a MSA 6 into 2 exhaust manifold and after fitting it I've noticed the downpipe drops down very low under the car (it could sit a lot higher).

I'm going to take it out and do some cutting to get it to sit in the right place, but I just wondered if anyone else had found this as well?

large156001a.jpg IMG_9559.jpg

Cheers,
Simon

richiep

Club Member
This ties back into that discussion about that really nice modded 240Z on Bring A Trailer. That car has that manifold connected to a Fujitsubo LegalisR exhaust and Sean was remarking that the exhaust looked too low. Looks to be a consequence of the design of that particular manifold.

Years ago, I had an MSA 6-1 manifold and MSA exhaust on my car (before I went full Fujitsubo), and that exhaust was a nightmare in terms of lowness. Pretty low at the manifold collector and then the shape of the pipe meant it pretty much always provided sound effects over speed bumps, humps or divots in the road, etc.!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Not sure which car you have but when I had the MSA exhaust before Sean’s race / sport I had the same issue as Richie with sound effects ;). In fact on one occasion, I blocked the exit to a wedding when the y pipe back got pulled off the car by a raising barrier that had a notch sticking up and it was just high enough to leave me looking very silly! Especially as the y pipe is a push fit and had only been hung at the rear box!! [emoji849][emoji849][emoji849]

My car is lowered but I can’t tell you how much below stock - see this ...

80143ca922bd98001cf491d7935ba5a1.jpg

Here’s a comparison of the two, so you can see why it sticks out more than Sean’s!

0ff00cf6326189c81821781cf039dd61.jpg

richiep

Club Member
Good photo comparison Ali - makes the point quite effectively! Exhausts like Sean's options and ones they are similar to (Nissan Motorsport USA header, JDM designs like Fujitsubo Super EX, etc.) are much more tucked up by their nature, and have the collectors exiting horizontally. Thus the pipe/pipes sit much more nicely within the transmission tunnel.

richiep

Club Member
I think they went 'wide' to avoid the gearbox sypport bracket AND....it appears that they sell the same for the ZX which has a different height (lower towards the ground I believe) and so have standardised the header and secondary pipe to be one part fits all :

https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic19c/15-6004
Looks pretty much the same across all the car listings doesn't it? Just some have the smog fittings, some don't.

RawlinSTR

Club Member
Okay these replies are very helpful, I thought I was going mad for a bit there.

The comparison between the MSA header and seans is pretty eye opening!