Mounting Front Number Plate | The Z Club of Great Britain
  1. The Z Club relies on the support of it's paid members - join the club or renew your membership here.

Mounting Front Number Plate

Discussion in 'S30 (240Z,260Z,280Z) General' started by RawlinSTR, Sep 21, 2019.

1. RawlinSTR

RawlinSTR
    Z Club Member

Hi all,

Could I get some pictures of how you have mounted your front number plates for some inspiration please?

Trying to decide the best way to do it (My car is a US import with no front mount).

Thanks,
    Simon

2. vipergts

vipergts
    Z Club Member

Barely E7FD1A56-3F4B-44A5-BE0C-441766596388.png

3. uk66fastback

uk66fastback
    Z Club Member

What size plate are you hoping to use - standard or smaller? Square or rectangular?

4. RawlinSTR

RawlinSTR
    Z Club Member

I'm considering my options at the moment Mike...

I'm going for a US style square plate on the back, so I'd probably go for the same on the front, but I wanted to see what others have done.

5. johnymd

johnymd
    Z Club Member

I've gone for small plate in UK legal size for '70's Italian sports car.

Attached Files:

Paul_S and tyroguru like this.
  6. RawlinSTR

RawlinSTR
    Z Club Member

They actually look great Johnny... where did you get them made?

And how are they mounted - to the front bumper?

johnymd likes this.
  7. uk66fastback

uk66fastback
    Z Club Member

My original front bumper has mounting brackets on it for a no. plate, I presume yours are missing - or you're not having a bumper (or something)

8. Pete

Pete Well-Known Forum User

As a general point,in my 'limited' experience you can fit any old number plate you like cause the police aren't interested in the letter font of some 50 year old car being driven by someone of the same vintage.

9. toopy

toopy
    Z Club Member

Indeed, they don't seem to care about 'wrong' plates on modern's round this way, so fill your boots! :D

Ive walked past police cars sat in traffic behind cars with blatantly wrong plates, no one seems to give a toss!

10. RawlinSTR

RawlinSTR
    Z Club Member

Thanks Mike, my car is a US import so I think that's why there isn't any mounting brackets there. Could you take a photo of the brackets on yours so I have an idea of what they look like?

I drove past a police car with a 'legal' plate taped to the inside of the my windscreen and no bonnet the other day (I was driving somewhere to get the tracking set up) and they gave me some funny looks but that's it, so I'm not too worried about this!

11. johnymd

johnymd
    Z Club Member

RawlinSTR likes this.
  12. Robbie J

Robbie J
    Z Club Member

As mine is a import its allowed smaller no. plates, Johny whats the exact size front plate you have?

13. uk66fastback

uk66fastback
    Z Club Member

This is the front and rear of the stock US front bumper on my '72 - I'm guessing you've not got these brackets then, Simon?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. RawlinSTR

RawlinSTR
    Z Club Member

The website states 306mm x 76mm, 12” x 3”

15. RawlinSTR

RawlinSTR
    Z Club Member

Thanks Mike, my bumper does not have these mounts, it's mostly likely a repro. It shouldn't be too difficult to fab up some brackets now I know where I want the plate to go.

16. johnymd

johnymd
    Z Club Member

As said 12x3

17. LiamR

LiamR
    Z Club Member

18. LiamR

LiamR
    Z Club Member

20190821_132351.jpg

As you can see, my lower bumper has a slot moulded into it for a plate to be mounted.