Morning All

-=FUBES=-

New Forum User
Well, just about.

Been sat here for the past couple of days trying to digest all the information on this site. Lots to read, and in doing so lots of questions get raised. However, as with all introductions threads, allow me to introduce myself.

An avid car nut, I have been buying / modifying and enjoying cars since I was old enough to get behind the wheel (and yes, we all have skeletons, mine was a Metro City x circa 1984!).

I have spent the last 5 years enjoying Saab's, owning 99 turbo's right through the modern GM inspired ones. To give you a better idea, here are a few cars that have passed through the -=FUBES=- garage in the last 8 years:

IMG_0423.sized.jpg

1990 Saab T16s going around Combe.

P4270005.sized.jpg

My old MGBGT, bought in 1993, sold last year, with much regret but to clear the way for what will follow.....

Morpheus_Front.sized.jpg

My lovely little golf, 1.8T converted.

IMG_0180.JPG

1380 Race Prepped mini. I miss this but he was a little bastard to me.

Front%20NS%20New%20Wheels%20Aug10.jpg

This is Everard, my 8V mechanical injection C900 track car. Been tracking this car for 3 years now very successfully.

IMG_1729.JPG

The good ladies work in progress. 1999 Viggen with added umph.

SDC16949.jpg

The last project, the -=FUBINATOR=-, heavily modified Saab 9-3 Sport. Total track weapon, now sold to fund my desire for something different.

So, this bring me to the reason I am here. I love my Saabs, but I am a little sick of FWD now, and miss the fun of the MG. But, MG world is populated by bearded pipe smoking gentlemen who frown on the youth (and I am referring to myself as youth being nearly 40), and I don't want to go back to that. So, my early desire to own a 240Z has come to bite me once again, so I find myself here and reading.

I am looking to build a track focused car, budget of around £10-15k to start with, but not looking to do everything at once. Firstly I need to find a salvageable shell, and complete the remedials to provide a good base to build from. Then looking at putting either an SR20DET or RB26 up front to provide motivation etc.

Anyway, thats me, look forward to getting to know you all soon etc.

Just as an aside, are there any meets / members in and around the Gloucester / Bristol area? It would be great to actually meet some of you guys and pester you in person.

Also, do we know anything about Auto Active in Bristol? They seem to have one or two 240's for sale at the moment.

Cheers,

-=F=-

johnymd

Club Member
Welcome Fubes, you won't be disappointed with a Z, if you buy the right one. This one looks to be a perfect starting point and a great price. If its solid then you can't go wrong with this one. I'd always be wary of a car that “looks” freshly painted but there may be a good reason for the respray. Worth a look. Like the sound of the engine swap.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi, yes Dave Jarman is a great source of knowledge and equipment in your area.

Geoff Gale at Auto Active is long time member of this club but tends not to 'get on the website'. Some of Geoff's cars may be those belonging to customers - he allows people to advertise them through him which helps people like yourself to find them.

I understand what you mean about MGB owners but that's a bit of a generalisation. :smash:

You should be able to get a trackday car sorted for your budget if you stick with the original engine - not sure about the 'Skyline' drivetrain. There are guys on here who have gone the Skyline route so they may be able to advise.

My advice would be to get a sound body (not easy to find) it will probably have to be LHD. Put a reasonable engine in it approx 200 bhp, focus on suspension, brakes, wheels and tyres and enjoy it for a while. If you like it improve any areas you've found lacking - if you don't like it sell it without losing too much time/money.

Last edited by a moderator:

-=FUBES=-

New Forum User
Thanks for the pointers so far guys, I did not realise that Dave was so close to me. Will have to be worth a call to say the least, and that Cal car does look a perfect start for what I have in mind, just thought it might be a sacrilege to start with a car so straight.

Rob, your advice is very sound, I am looking for the right base to start from and work up from there. I know from experience that getting a car to handle and stop is more important than out right power. The comment about the MG club was tongue in cheek. There are some great guys in there, but I guess it is a been there done that thing and I now want to try something different.

Back to the grind, thanks for the advice so far, much appreciated.

David.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
if dave is only round the corner it is worth having look ,personally i would not touch a UK car unless it was in very good condition,especially if you are aiming for 300 plus bhp.
the only other advice i can give is have a look a few cars before buying one so that you know the good from the bad.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Go and see Dave J if for nothing else than to inspect the car - because the best advice is always to see as many cars as possible before deciding. This one will give you an dea of what you can have without welding plates on and changing panels, chassis legs etc.
And then there's his advice but if you want to chat, buy his time with a bottle of red !;)

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
Welcome to the club dude, I also had a lot of Saab's at one point in my life starting off with a 99 turbo (fantastic little car) and them moving on to the 8 valve 900's and finally finishing off with a 900 T Aero. I didn't progress as far as the vauxhall shite like you though lol.

I was thinking of sticking an SR 20 in my Z at first but I now want to keep the original engine layout, I will use the bigger 2.8 lt as a base though, I think 250-300 bhp in one of these cars is ample for all but the most insane on here (skiddel lol).

I've spent the last two years building mine and am finally starting to enjoy what is a fantastic fun car to own and drive, Like the other more experienced Rob said start off with a sound body then concentrate on handling and stopping the thing first, My last car was a 520 bhp SR20 so I know a bit about building a big power turbo engine, And it is that experience that has turned me on to a well sorted N/A engine this time, You can keep all that bloody heat matey.

Good luck with your project.

Rob

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
Good luck with your hunt for a car, mine has 280bhp and (is turbo'ed) at the wheels and is a handfull, and has been used on track days etc great fun, mine will be up forsale again soon as the buyer has pulled out, Doh your quite welcome to come down and take a look at it if you like etc open to offers pm me for more info, it looks like you done some cool cars in the past too!