Modern "retro" stereo replacement

Nmd14

Club Member
Hi All,

I wondered if anyone has bought a Retrosound RC900C replacement stereo and, if so, are you happy with it?

I'm looking for a stereo that blends in with an original interior, with half decent radio reception and the ability to plug in an ipod - not fussed about bluetooth etc.

Thanks,

Nick D.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I've read very positive things about their radios. Also I believe someone here has a retro sound 1.

The reviews I've studied in detail all recommend the retrosound2.

asbojohn

Club Member
I fitted a model 2 and it fits in nicely you can buy a face plate that has some patterns to fit the z but it needs some trimming.

I'm running the original speakers and have installed a amp under the passenger seat.

uk66fastback

Club Member
There was a company at the resto show at the NEC back in March who would put you in the ipod plug for £50.

If you wanted the whole thing redoing from scratch, ie brand new modern internals with Bluetooth etc it was about £350 from memory.

I don't have ONE bit of music on my phone but the wife's is brimming with it ... so might do this with mine sometime ... (the ipod bit)

Nmd14

Club Member
I fitted a model 2 and it fits in nicely you can buy a face plate that has some patterns to fit the z but it needs some trimming.

I'm running the original speakers and have installed a amp under the passenger seat.

Hi,

Probably a stupid question but why did you fit an amp? Was this to give you higher volume or does the model 2 need an amp to work?

I'll replace the 2 door speakers but don't need huge amounts of bass etc!

Thanks,

Nick D.

asbojohn

Club Member
Hi,

Probably a stupid question but why did you fit an amp? Was this to give you higher volume or does the model 2 need an amp to work?

I'll replace the 2 door speakers but don't need huge amounts of bass etc!

Thanks,

Nick D.

Very little range with the old speaker and it needed a bit more depth. If you've got door speakers they'll probably be an improvement over the originals fitted in the rear of the z.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I run a small sub under the passenger seat of mine, it "fills in" for the lack of base from the teeny speakers behind seats but replacing he speakers if you can find the right size and separate amp are a great start.

In fact if you do that, you can plug your iPhone direct into the amp - depending on it's input sensitivity of course.