Mobile site?

Dale

Club Member
I was curious how many people browse the site on their mobile phones or smart phones?

I'd guess it's not many at the moment, but I pretty much exclusively do.

The reason I ask is that more and more websites I visit recognises that you are browsing on a phone and displays a better laid out 'mini' version of the website that is easier to navigate.

Am I too early in putting that idea forward as something the club could look into at some point?

Phil240z

Club Member
I view the site on an iPhone, it works quite well just can't upload pictures but you are constantly zooming in and out and moving the screen from side to side, where as sites which recognise that you are on a phone might re arrange the text to fit.

slaphead

Club Member
I'm doing a 30 / 70 split between mobile and PC - always having to zoom in and out is a pain in the butt so if i need to do anything more than browse I use the PC - If the mini version is available please enable it

Nidge74

New Forum User
Am I too early in putting that idea forward as something the club could look into at some point?

Will put it on the list of things to look into.

Had a quick browse on the VB website and there is a mobile site available, but we are currently working on getting the latest version if VB going, so we can look at integrating it into that when it it's up and running fully.

Don't expect anything to happen overnight.

:thumbs:

andy

Well-Known Forum User
Once we've ironed out all the issues with the forum software upgrade, this is an inbuilt feature :)

JakTheRuby

Club Member
I use the site on my mobile (and have for around 5 years). Back in the day when I was using mainly Sony Ericsson phones (symbian OS) it used to psuedo force the site to display as a mobile friendly version and worked reasonably well. Since being on the Hero and now Desire HD (android OS) it displays properly as you see it on screen (even with the flash banner. Can't do that on iPhone!). Don't need to do too much zooming in and out as it has such a big screen but I take your point.

As Neil said, we're currently on the cusp of moving over to the new version of vBulletin and I'm pretty sure that it'll be a simple plugin that will display the site as mobile optimised. You can of course on an iPhone (in the browser settings) tell it to detect and display mobile sites, as I believe it's turned off as a default to try and emulate sites how they'd look in Safari on a mac (crap). You'll be kept up to speed as soon as we've debugged / buggered it up!