Memories from 1985

uk66fastback

Club Member
When Basildon was small enough to only have five digits ... moved from there in 1976, remember it well ... !

Museums eh? Always knew the Z Club was classy ...

Matt Berry

Club Member
Found this under my customers floor this morning, no Z’s for sale though. The paper is from November 1977

Attachments

• B2C67621-0683-42B4-8501-1CB245EA92F9.jpeg
    B2C67621-0683-42B4-8501-1CB245EA92F9.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 35

toopy

Club Member
In 1985 i was 15, so a couple of years away from starting driving lessons, on one of which i saw my first Z..... and the rest as they say, is history! :thumbs:

uk66fastback

Club Member
In 1985 I was 23 and rolling around in a '71 K-reg MGB which I'd rebuilt from a rusty wreck ... I sold it the next year for this shocking thing ... in fairness, a great idea, but VERY badly executed.

OEE2bLqI.jpg

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
That 71 MGB was only 14 yo in 85. I was in a similarly young car that was rusty and felt old.
Now many people have dailies that are 20 yo that really don't feel old. Car Manufacturing got good in the late 90s.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I don't think it was a UK only problem. I've seen some evidence that Datsuns from the 70s rusted a bit too. French cars, German cars, Italian cars all guaranteed to be rusty wrecks in a decade or so until late nineties.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I don't mean the quality of the metal, the whole world suffered with rubbish steel in the 70's.

Not true and no Japan bashing please !

Japans' steel industries invested VERY heavily not merely in volume making but the quality of their steel and consequently were leading the way with ship-building, metallic domestic goods and the motorcycle/moped and automotive industry.

That Zs rusted is down to the limited/poor/non-existant anti-rust treatment and waiting on the docks to oload, transported in a salty, wet environment and waiting in the ships to be unloaded then on the docks after loading......they were rusting before arriving in the showrooms.
But every car rusted badly in those days...only we saw Datsuns running around rusty long after the other makes had broken down !